Harrows Darts.

Back to normal stems/flights
I decided to change from Cosmos fit flights to Target pro grip and normal flights.

I have gone through just about every type of stems. I started with normal ones which were metal. Changed to L-Style. Changed to Fit Flight...tried a few others which I felt were terrible.

So why am I going away from Fit Flight? While I do like them the best out of all setups, they just break too much too randomly. What's interesting is I had the same stems last an entire session of league (including daily practice). Then a few days after the session 2 of them broke. Then I have had random breaks here and there after that. When they break it's a bit of a pain to get them out of the dart (or out of the flight...which takes heating up a needle and sticking it in them).

I decided that normal flights and the Target Pro Grip is just fine. And it's a heck of a lot cheaper! Not that I care too much about spending money on darts (which I have spent way more than I will tell the wife!). Still, it doesn't hurt to save money on a setup.

I won't go back to L-Style either...just didn't like those as much as fit flight. Don't think they break as much though.

Anyone else come full circle?
Yep. My first set of darts were soft tip Target Trimurti's that came with medium nylon stems and full size flights.

Everyone in soft tip teased me about my huge flights and "toy stems." (everyone was using aluminum stems and slim flights).

I ended up going to so many different combos over the years but it's been a year now when I'm back to being comfortable with full size standards (Ruthless R4X) and medium nylons. It just flies smoothly and my darts land flat.

R4X's are incredibly cheap. If you want a smaller Standard, check out the HArrows Marathon's. They're very durable but a little slimmer profile.

It's definitely part of that "KIS" principle...keep it simple. I also think there is a reason that a majority of pros use that simple medium stem/full size flight setup. It just works.
I wouldn't disagree that simple is nice, however stems have been a problem for me since i started using the Whizlock caps. Since i absolutely love them, it was down to finding the fitting shaft, and in my case the only shaft that didn't cause any rattling, flight's popping off, or constant flight adjusting was the L-Style Carbon Silent :-)). A not so cheap solution.

On a side note, here are the stems i found to be incompatible with Whizlocks.

- Target Pro Grip
- Target Pro Grip Vision
- Harrows Supergrip
- Unicorn Gripper III

Harrows Dimplex was somewhat ok, however they don't come in a "tweenie" version. So didn't fit me that good either.
anyone using "plain" standards would do well to check out the Raw100 flights from Perfect darts. Very cheap, very strong and a great range of colours too.
Darts: 22g Darts Clearance 
Shafts: Medium Natural 
Flights: Standard No.2

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
My story is similar. In the 90’s, I started with aluminum shafts and have since tried spinners and most exotic shaft/flight combos. I ended up settling on cheap, medium length “durable nylon” shafts with cheap aluminum springs and cheap 100 micron poly flights with pointed flight protectors. I shoot 25g Harrows Wolframs with Trident cones, so darts in the board sustain little damage from incoming darts. I just finished an entire league season (including practice at home) with the same sets of shafts and flights.

At this point, I’m no longer into pro-endorsed or “designer” quality darts or accessories. I’ve never found that (despite the elevated price levels) any of that stuff improved the quality of my shooting. Worse yet--as said above--when those fancy designer quality things get broken, it’s a pain in the wallet. On the rare occasion that any of my durable but cheap shafts or flights get broken, the cost of replacement parts is so little that it's meaningless.

All I need now is a really good dart bar with good, really cold, cheap beer.
(07-06-2015, 10:52 AM)Gadasoft Wrote: I wouldn't disagree that simple is nice, however stems have been a problem for me since i started using the Whizlock caps. Since i absolutely love them, it was down to finding the fitting shaft, and in my case the only shaft that didn't cause any rattling, flight's popping off, or constant flight adjusting was the L-Style Carbon Silent :-)). A not so cheap solution.

On a side note, here are the stems i found to be incompatible with Whizlocks.

- Target Pro Grip
- Target Pro Grip Vision
- Harrows Supergrip
- Unicorn Gripper III

Harrows Dimplex was somewhat ok, however they don't come in a "tweenie" version. So didn't fit me that good either.

Ive used whizlocks a lot on Pro Grips, and they work fine. It is really tight at first but the cap loosens up a bit (just to the point where its easier to put on, it never actually gets loose). And Im pretty sure Ive used them with supergrips too, I thought those were skinnier and actually easier than the Pro Grips but I could be wrong.
RD Hardcore or Raw100 flights and RD nylon shafts with springs, my grouping gives me few problems with robin hoods LOL. Do like the pro grips though as they look great with DC colour fade flights
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. 
Current Board 
Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore black flights, Mission black points and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
Same here. After 2 years of using Cosmo flights/stems I have reverted to normal aluminium stems and basic kite flights.

Just wish I could get aluminium stems at around 18mm.
(07-06-2015, 10:39 PM)Dalman Wrote: Same here. After 2 years of using Cosmo flights/stems I have reverted to normal aluminium stems and basic kite flights.

Just wish I could get aluminium stems at around 18mm.

Shame u have gone that route- we will miss you. When they get out of round you will be back.
Saber,

Would you or anyone know what stems would be equivalent for Cosmo between types. For instance, would a number 3 gear spin be equivalent weight/setup to a number 2 titanium?

I find it hard to justify the costs of the other types of Cosmo...but I've just had too many breaks recently. Bounce outs are more common in soft tip (in my opinion). So my darts hit the floor enough to cause issues.

It was easy to test out different gear spins since they are only $10 a set. But the other types are quite expensive...making trial and error impossible.
Carbon is almost the same weight as plastic and stronger. I've still heard of breakages though.

Titanium idk. You can look up the weight difference I'm sure, but then there's the factor of your throw.
So I still think I like the Fit Flights more than regular...but I'm still not sure if I am going to go back to them or not. The new setup works well, but the flights pop off when they bounce on the floor. Annoying, but the stems don't break like the fit flights do. I miss the spinning feature a bit though.

I am just a bit torn on trying the other fit flight stems (carbon, etc). Probably not worth the cost.

I may just need to experiment with flights to see if I can find ones that stay on better. Usually the dimplix ones work the best for that.

I will not go back to metal stems...so some flights falling off will be OK with me.
I've never tried anything other than the normal nylon stem and normal flight set up. ( Although I do experiment with stem length and flight style )
I've been very happy with that set up so my feeling is if it ain't broke why change it ?
I'm at Tinkerer by nature so I don't need more variables in my choice. :s

Match Darts=Target Darryl Fitton,s® 22g

Back ups= Hmmmmm??? ®

And..A few sets of spares .®   Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Cheers,
 Ken 
(07-11-2015, 07:36 PM)GOLGO-13 Wrote: So I still think I like the Fit Flights more than regular...but I'm still not sure if I am going to go back to them or not. The new setup works well, but the flights pop off when they bounce on the floor. Annoying, but the stems don't break like the fit flights do. I miss the spinning feature a bit though.

I am just a bit torn on trying the other fit flight stems (carbon, etc). Probably not worth the cost.

I may just need to experiment with flights to see if I can find ones that stay on better. Usually the dimplix ones work the best for that.

I will not go back to metal stems...so some flights falling off will be OK with me.

in the same boat golgo
gave away a extra shaft last night to a player
10 mins later middle of a game
wired the bull , dart hit the carpeted floor ,shaft and flight went 12 ft in the air Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
lucky i had my aura's w/me l-style t15,t20, bull 135 out Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
i am going to try carbon shafts cosmo if i break one of those i am done :dodgy:
the weight of the ti shafts ,just look to heavy( size 5 ) imo.
you count 180's
i'm counting money
     :usa:

There's nothing wrong with nylon stems and regular flights. I rocked them for years on end. If that's what ya want to use then go for it. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does the color of your stems and flights really make a difference? *Saber* 53 15,216 09-20-2020, 05:32 PM
Last Post: LethalEagle
  Normal to break stem so quick ?? serpent 33 1,934 05-07-2020, 08:00 PM
Last Post: elevendarter
  One80 Vice stems & L Style flights Chappers 8 933 02-19-2020, 04:48 PM
Last Post: Chappers
  Cosmo Fit Gear (Stems & Flights) Curtis8976 2 399 08-07-2019, 06:29 PM
Last Post: jt4527
  How do you insert flights into aluminum stems? jwiere03 12 2,402 08-15-2018, 08:44 PM
Last Post: ChrisTheFish
  Stems - Grip, ring or normal screamer 1 617 02-07-2018, 03:35 PM
Last Post: atison
  Which stems and flights Nikw13 10 2,415 06-12-2017, 08:58 PM
Last Post: rockyboy
  What stems suit these flights? DanGoldsmith180 4 1,079 11-12-2016, 05:32 AM
Last Post: DanGoldsmith180
  What size stems should I use with kite flights? DanGoldsmith180 15 5,416 02-20-2015, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Fred-180