Shot Darts

Do you agree with the anti-analyzing opinion towards your throw?
With most hobbies, there is a lot of analyzing/tweaking that goes into your form.

Take for example golf. Many casual players will still get lessons, have other players evaluate their technique, read how-to books/read magazines, and just really fine tune their swing.

I've never heard of golfers talking about stance and having another player say, "Stop over-thinking and just hit the ball."

It's the same with many hobbies/sports. Yes, practice is important but if you're practicing the same bad habits, you're only going to hit a wall.

Darts just seems to have a lot of the "Stop over-thinking!" mentality which doesn't make sense to me.

Shouldn't you want to tweak every aspect of your throw, angle of your body, feet position, etc..? To figure out the best possible position?

It's like when I used a 4 finger grip for the first two years of playing darts. I knew that grip would be limiting because it makes a cleaner release more difficult. It was difficult to change my grip but I was able to do it and saw good results. It's the same when it took me a long time to break my habit of lifting my rear foot. Again, forcing myself to stay planted was very awkward at first but I can now see the difference over time.

I remember a video of MVG saying "Just throw" when talking about technique. Again, he already has an almost perfect technique...full arm extension, rock solid shoulder, throws perfectly inline with his body, etc..
Is he saying his throwing style was just picked up naturally?

Shouldn't we go out of way to evaluate our throws like golfers? I'll admit, I've set up a camera to videotape the side of me while throwing so I can look at my throw frame-by-frame and what areas need improving. I would have never noticed some of my bad habits...like my habit of slightly leaning forward when drawing my arm back. I couldn't figure out why so many of my shots were dropping low...it was only after I watched my throw in slow motion that I saw my body leaning forward during the throw. Like I was forcing the shot.

I definitely understand the mentality of messing with your throw/body too much so you're never becoming consistent...or over-thinking too much.

My question is:

Which group are you in? And why do you agree with that view?

1. Try to do the same thing every time. Don't mess around too much. Kind of like the K.I.S. principle....Keep It Simple.

2. You like to constantly make small adjustments. If you're like me, you might keep a notebook by your dartboard to record different results/things you notice after making an adjustment.

Don't get me wrong...I think you can have success both ways but you really need a good foundation to start with if you're in the #1 group.
Middle of the road works for me.....a little of "just do it" followed by "what the heck did I just do"? Lol.

Actually, letting go and being intuitive about it while kinda having an autopilot track, then analyse, then think about it and change one thing, practice it until it flows, then rinse and repeat.

Not having a clue where I'm going with the darting action certainly makes life interesting....:-)
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I bought Georges book and have spent time trying to put into practice my throw, stance, with clean release, arm follow through, parabola etc and am now at the point where nothing about my game is mine and my whole game sucks big time.
Had hoped to use the book to improve my game and consistency.
Nothing about playing is feeling right and the frustration is ruining the enjoyment of "practice" to the point I regret ever buying the book.
Anyone else had a similar experience?
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. 
Current Board 
Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore black flights, Mission black points and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
for me if im hitting what im throwing at i dont care how it gets there ... only ever think about things when its going bad and that just makes it even worse.
I’m all for self-awareness, self-analysis, adjustment and self-improvement. If I shoot mindlessly, I keep on making the same mistakes and that doesn’t help anything. Being aware of what I’m doing and trying to isolate and correct problems and mistakes is important. I’ve also got George’s book and it’s been a major help. It’s resulted in my changing my stance--which I didn’t like doing and I still don’t feel comfortable with--but that alone has made a noticeable improvement.

All that having been said... I also find it important to not drive myself to distraction with over-emphasizing self-analysis. If I push it too far, I get so wrapped up in it that it can screw up my game and take all the enjoyment out of it. For me, there’s a balance I have to strike so I can avoid both enjoyment-killing over-analysis and mindlessly repeating the same mistakes. I haven’t taken self-analysis to the level of the notebook near the dartboard or a video cam, but I may give either of them a go one of these days.
On Dartslive, there is a rating system from 1 to 18. Most players, with enough practice and experience, could probably reach rating 10 or 11 without a proper consistent stroke. At that rating, you are classified as an "A" player, which is pretty good. However, most people get stuck here as they did not build the proper foundations when they were still starting out.

If you are aiming to become a better "AA" or "SA" player, you would probably need to have a few weeks or months of experimenting, analyzing, and discussion with strong players to build a proper stroke. From there you can start training and improving. Improvement in darts is not linear!
(07-05-2015, 12:36 PM)ChrisTheFish Wrote: I bought Georges book and have spent time trying to put into practice my throw, stance, with clean release, arm follow through, parabola etc and am now at the point where nothing about my game is mine and my whole game sucks big time.
Nothing about playing is feeling right and the frustration is ruining the enjoyment of "practice" to the point I regret ever buying the book.
Sad to hear that Chris as Ive and litterally thousands have had good results with flight school. My guess is that your very much in the minority. Like I said am truely sorry to hear that.
(07-05-2015, 03:20 PM)*Saber* Wrote:
(07-05-2015, 12:36 PM)ChrisTheFish Wrote: I bought Georges book and have spent time trying to put into practice my throw, stance, with clean release, arm follow through, parabola etc and am now at the point where nothing about my game is mine and my whole game sucks big time.
Sad to hear that Chris as Ive and litterally thousands have had good results with flight school. My guess is that your very much in the minority. Like I said am truely sorry to hear that.

I think it's more a case of too many "tweaks" at the same time, just need to go back a little and take one thing at a time as I have been trying to do it all as quick as I've been reading
Current Board 
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore black flights, Mission black points and Target titanium stem rings   

Yeah could be, I know when I tried to do it all quick I was a mess. I still do A-1 and A-2 mostly. I think one of the biggest things I was doing was holding the dart tooo tight and taking my eye off the target the last milli second. Also I wasn't relaxed at all.
Great thread

Personally I am a 100000% tinkerer always looking for that extra 0.1%. & often to the detriment of my game.

I've tried Priestley slow and precise, Voort fast, 2 grip,3 grip, hard throw, soft throw, different angles, bolt upright, bent so far it makes George look upright, u name it & all with every type of dart & setup looking for that mythical 85+ ave.

The reality is that I play best, when i don't think and just play. Trying to mimic someone else just results (for me) in a horrendous imitation!

I think if u look at all the greats:

bristow
Taylor
Lowe
Barney
Mvg (hate it but you've got to inc him)
Hankey
Part
Etc

They all played 'their' style (each one unique) and their natural way and it brought success (and when some tinkered it went wrong).

I think whilst I can and should tweak things anything that veers to far from your natural 'style' will always hinder.

Just my 2 cents worth
Darts: 25g phase 1 Barney copy (Darts Clearance) 
Stems: DC short
Flights: std 75mc
Board: Winmau Blade 5. 

Best 100 at 20 score: 115 (17/10/18)
Current ave: 95

Please follow my blog:

Blog: https://mydartinglife.blogspot.com

Twitter: lukestacey@mydartinglife

I'll admit I'm an overanalyzer. One reason is that I have no innate gift for the game -- for some weird reason I get drawn to things I can't do. The other reason is that when I started watching video of the greats, it became pretty obvious to me that Phil Taylor's mechanics are entirely analyzed and reinvented, right down to the eyebrows. He's the Robert Fosbury of darts.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

(07-05-2015, 03:44 PM)*Saber* Wrote: Yeah could be, I know when I tried to do it all quick I was a mess. I still do A-1 and A-2 mostly. I think one of the biggest things I was doing was holding the dart tooo tight and taking my eye off the target the last milli second. Also I wasn't relaxed at all.

Sounds very familiar, watching the darts, my arm and the target simultaneously. I think it will have to be slowly, slowly catchy monkey and just take things one at a time.
It all seems so clear and straight forward in the book LOL Not that I need an excuse to pick up my darts but need to get back to smiling and throwing.
Current Board 
Darts

Here's my very blunt opinion. MANY people spend too much time trying to find the right dart and practice the perfect form so they look pretty but what they don't do is spend enough time practicing. They want to find shortcuts to getting good at darts. There is NO shortcuts to getting really good except spending countless hours on the oche day in day out.

Due to a bad case of dartitis my form is crap and I'm okay with it. I spend ZERO time trying to fix it or think about it at all. But I do spend massive amounts of time on the oche trying to get better. Nothing substitutes hard work and dedication.
(07-05-2015, 05:38 PM)Cyanide Wrote: Here's my very blunt opinion. MANY people spend too much time trying to find the right dart and practice the perfect form so they look pretty but what they don't do is spend enough time practicing. They want to find shortcuts to getting good at darts. There is NO shortcuts to getting really good except spending countless hours on the oche day in day out.

Due to a bad case of dartitis my form is crap and I'm okay with it. I spend ZERO time trying to fix it or think about it at all. But I do spend massive amounts of time on the oche trying to get better. Nothing substitutes hard work and dedication.
I may just take a leaf out of your book and do just that.
Thats a big +1 from me Cy but in future can you just get to the point with a bit less rambling.
Current Board 
Darts

(07-05-2015, 05:38 PM)Cyanide Wrote: Here's my very blunt opinion. MANY people spend too much time trying to find the right dart and practice the perfect form so they look pretty but what they don't do is spend enough time practicing. They want to find shortcuts to getting good at darts. There is NO shortcuts to getting really good except spending countless hours on the oche day in day out.

Bravo. Agree very much. Being sensitive and aware as a shooter is good, constant tinkering is rarely helpful.
As for George's book, I am confused as to how it can lead to tinkering as George is fairly strongly anti-tinkering...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TOP 3 Darts matches of all time (in your opinion) tropicalpalmtree 10 345 02-07-2021, 09:59 PM
Last Post: tropicalpalmtree
  Your opinion on best players phase. B2B180 5 461 02-19-2020, 11:34 AM
Last Post: NiteEyez
  Opinion on Target Darts DAVEISTHENAME 22 1,603 09-03-2019, 01:18 PM
Last Post: GONKO
  Opinion: Are we expecting too much out of pro players? LethalEagle 0 278 03-16-2019, 05:50 PM
Last Post: LethalEagle
  Soft tip handicap, Agree, or disagree Mac-attack99 12 1,069 05-20-2018, 09:11 PM
Last Post: Baloos
  In your opinion does playing Soft-tips hurt your steel tip game? *Saber* 5 2,841 10-29-2015, 09:56 PM
Last Post: Lord Strange