Harrows Darts.

Winmau Soft Tips: Hankey, Priestly and Sniper
Just got in my Pure Darts order, all soft tips: 18g Hankey, 18g Priestly and 18g Sniper. After reading so much about Hankey darts, I was anxious to try them out. The Priestly and sniper are shapes I was interested in, so filled my cart with them while ordering the Hankey's.

The order took a week and a half to ship as one set was back order. The communication at Pure is not the best, but the quick shipping and great prices are the offset.

The little package filled my letterbox this morning and I ripped it open like a kid on Christmas morning :p There were 3 little bags of goodies in there too, 6 sets of R4X flights along with medium and short nylon shafts with springs.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Hanky's came out of the packet first as they were the ones I really wanted to try. But as I took the box shafts and points off, I couldn't believe how sloppy the threads were. I was hoping it was the shafts and points, but was bitterly disappointed when I headed Cosmo shafts and Lippoints in that it was indeed the barrels. The icing on the cake is that they engraved one of the bats on the point end. These must have been Friday afternoon darts off the production line when the tap was completely finished... The barrels come loose all the time, and I'm sure they will start to become crooked after the constant over tightening.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Next out of their box was the Priestly's. I was now very skeptical of any faults, but the threads were much better on these. They are actually quite nice barrels, but not quite right to my throw.

Finally, I had very low expectations for the Snipers. They were a set I got to see what I would think of that type of barrel shape. Two throws in and I had huge eyes and a wide grin. These throw almost exactly like the Canis Major M47X, but somehow feel a little more precise. And at less than a third the cost, they completely blew me away. AND they have the best threads of all three of the Winmau sets! These are keepers Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

This was after 5 or 6 throws with them.

Overall I was disappointed with the quality. Granted I have been spoiled by expensive Asian barrels, but I was not impressed at all with the Hankey's... All three sets have "Made in Kenya" printed on the back of the box, and I think Winmau needs to put a better quality check on barrels produced there. The Snipers have really impressed me, the Priestly's will likely move on to another home and the Hankey's... Not sure whether to bin them out of disappointment or send them back to Winmau!
Dabbler and over thinker...
Just outside Montreal

Current darts: Winmau Sniper 18g barrels; Lippoint plastic tips; #4 Fit Spinning shafts and Fit Super Shape flights
Home board: Blade 4 (playing with soft tips)
Discipline: Flight School
Have you tried other shafts with those Hankeys and do they all loosen up too as you throw?

Dartboards are also manufactured in Kenya.

Target and Unicorn has some plants based in China.

PS: We have most clothings and other household stuff here in the US that are so affordable and useful because they are made in Mexico, Kenya, Burma, Philippines, etc.

Makes life better.
(06-30-2015, 04:36 PM)majeek Wrote: Have you tried other shafts with those Hankeys and do they all loosen up too as you throw?

Dartboards are also manufactured in Kenya.

Target and Unicorn has some plants based in China.

PS: We have most clothings and other household stuff here in the US that are so affordable and useful because they are made in Mexico, Kenya, Burma, Philippines, etc.

Makes life better.

Not ripping where they are made, my bad if it came across like that. But companies must do higher levels of QC for off-shore manufacturing. I deal with Asia on a regular basis and the amount of stuff we reject due to quality issues is quite high at times.

I've tried a few different shafts, all are loose. And it is both ends, point end is equally as loose. The Priestley's are reasonable and the Sniper's are good, close enough to an Asian thread that I would never have noticed. Just for fun I weighed the Hankey's and they are all all within 0.02g, quite good in 20 quid darts! It just seems the tap was at end of life and the threads ended up oversize...

I'll edit the last line in my original post. Re-reading it, it is too aggressive for how I feel Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Just outside Montreal

Current darts: Winmau Sniper 18g barrels; Lippoint plastic tips; #4 Fit Spinning shafts and Fit Super Shape flights
I know you shouldn't have to do this, but a possible solution if you want to use the Hankey's try a few turns of PTFE tape around the stem
& in the soft tip case tip threads & if you leave removing stem/tip only when absolutely necessary, could possibly help your problem.
Contact pure, Winmau or lee on here. Winmau / RD customer service is usually of the highest standard
Darts: 22g Darts Clearance 
Shafts: Medium Natural 
Flights: Standard No.2

I would do what Rich suggested, Pilmat. Get a replacement if you can.

Quick question if I could: how much does the Sniper (barrel only) weigh? Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I'm out at the moment, but I'll contact Winmau when I get home. I'll weigh the Sniper too, but it will be around 16.5 I'm guessing.
Just outside Montreal

(06-30-2015, 04:23 PM)pilmat Wrote: Just got in my Pure Darts order, all soft tips: 18g Hankey, 18g Priestly and 18g Sniper. After reading so much about Hankey darts, I was anxious to try them out. The Priestly and sniper are shapes I was interested in, so filled my cart with them while ordering the Hankey's.

The order took a week and a half to ship as one set was back order. The communication at Pure is not the best, but the quick shipping and great prices are the offset.

The little package filled my letterbox this morning and I ripped it open like a kid on Christmas morning :p There were 3 little bags of goodies in there too, 6 sets of R4X flights along with medium and short nylon shafts with springs.
[Image: https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3943/19110...707e_n.jpg]

Hanky's came out of the packet first as they were the ones I really wanted to try. But as I took the box shafts and points off, I couldn't believe how sloppy the threads were. I was hoping it was the shafts and points, but was bitterly disappointed when I headed Cosmo shafts and Lippoints in that it was indeed the barrels. The icing on the cake is that they engraved one of the bats on the point end. These must have been Friday afternoon darts off the production line when the tap was completely finished... The barrels come loose all the time, and I'm sure they will start to become crooked after the constant over tightening.
[Image: https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3749/19297...14ab28.jpg]

Next out of their box was the Priestly's. I was now very skeptical of any faults, but the threads were much better on these. They are actually quite nice barrels, but not quite right to my throw.
[Image: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/355/192719...2a1f32.jpg]

Finally, I had very low expectations for the Snipers. They were a set I got to see what I would think of that type of barrel shape. Two throws in and I had huge eyes and a wide grin. These throw almost exactly like the Canis Major M47X, but somehow feel a little more precise. And at less than a third the cost, they completely blew me away. AND they have the best threads of all three of the Winmau sets! These are keepers Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
[Image: https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3871/19297...9b8430.jpg]

This was after 5 or 6 throws with them.
[Image: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/420/192719...25e3_n.jpg]

Overall I was disappointed with the quality. Granted I have been spoiled by expensive Asian barrels, but I was not impressed at all with the Hankey's... All three sets have "Made in Kenya" printed on the back of the box, and I think Winmau needs to put a better quality check on barrels produced there. The Snipers have really impressed me, the Priestly's will likely move on to another home and the Hankey's... Not sure whether to bin them out of disappointment or send them back to Winmau!

In fairness - No manufacturing environment is defect free. Although they claim to be.... accidents can happen as most likely it has in this instance. If you contact winmau they will most likely rectify the issue Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Just get in touch with the Winmau thru their Customer Service hotline. Try to get in touch with Puredarts and make mention you are a Dartsnutz member. Try to compare which solution/recommendation they come up with is more favorable and convenient to you.
(06-30-2015, 07:06 PM)Ancient Darter Wrote: Quick question if I could: how much does the Sniper (barrel only) weigh? Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I was wrong, the Sniper barrels weigh 15.8g. The setup in the original post picture comes in at 17.8g (Lippoint, #5 Fit Normal Spinning shaft, Normal Super Shape flight). The three barrels are very close at 15.81, 15.77 and 15.76g.
Just outside Montreal

Thanks very much Pilmat. Appreciate it. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Hope you get the Hankey's sorted out quickly. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I own two sets of Winmau Stratos ( 21 & 23g ) , the production quality , balance and weight match are absolutely stunning. Use other products from Winmau and must say, i am more than satisfied - the extra tough flights are amazing, whizlock is a great system and obv. the Blade boards are top-notch as well.
Thanks for all the suggestions. The worst is, I don't really like the Hankey's Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I used a bag to sort out the threads on the shaft and Condor tips (you can yank them tight with the hole) so they weren't loose every other throw. But they really don't fly very well for me, as if there is too much rear weight. The grip is quite interesting, but the front is drilled quite deep. I played with the setup, but they don't feel right for me.

I've sent Winmau an email telling them of the threads.

There is some putty in the mail, maybe they will fly better for me with that front cavity filled...
Just outside Montreal

Holy crap! Those Hankey's are awful! Definitely a late Friday afternoon batch there.
Got an answer back from Winmau. They said return them to the shop for exchange and they will do inspection when they get them back. Now to try Pure, fingers crossed.

Edit: Keith at Pure got back to me quickly, he asked for them back.
Just outside Montreal

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Winmau Sniper, 23 gram – a mid-to-rear gripper’s review WhiskyPops 43 15,464 03-16-2021, 11:28 AM
Last Post: dexterwolf
  Smooth Darts: Ted Hankey's vs Terry Jenkins redhedkev 10 5,095 03-07-2016, 02:30 AM
Last Post: Deanmr180
  Hankey's atomized or silver? Babe180 42 12,785 07-18-2015, 01:36 PM
Last Post: Serial 7hriller
  Hankey Darts Titan 20 6,621 10-21-2014, 08:20 PM
Last Post: andjayik