Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Playing with the wrong hand?
Lightbulb 
Suffering a bit of tennis elbow for the past 12 months I sometimes struggle to throw if its playing up - so now and then, rather than give up throwing, I try using me left hand for 10-15mins.

Well, at first, the darts were flying all over the shop, 99% of time at least I was hitting the board but no accuracy whatsoever - however just recently I noticed I can get the darts to land roughly in the right area - say I'm throing at 20's, pretty much all in 5's, 20's, 1's - even last night, playing doubles routine I hit D4, D9 and 25 with 3 darts (going for D4,D9,BULL) - it was a one off but showed me that I am getting better.

So, has anyone, maybe due to injury, learned to throw with their weaker hand - is it possible to get to a decent standard?

I know a lad who lost his index finger and learned to throw with his thumb and middle finger (Mark Walsh style) - not the same I know but still, he adapted and plays at a good standard even with no pointer.

Cheers
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I used to be able to use both hands back in the late 70's. I wasn't actually too bad with the wrong hand then - I've hit a 180 left handed, and I used to play the odd game at lunchtimes left handed as well.

I think the reason I learnt back then was because we used to play killer quite a lot, and you have to throw with the wrong hand to sort out your number. Being able to throw wrong handed was very useful when deciding which number you wanted.

I tried again left handed a couple of years ago and I was lucky to hit the board, let alone where I thought I was aiming for lol.
Wow! That's better than I'm playing with my "good" arm at the moment :p

I thought about using my left arm when getting back into darts a few months ago, but as I had both shoulders freeze (now mostly recovered) I didn't see the point. I'm always amazed when I see someone adapt quickly to their non-dominant side. Great skill just flows through some folks...
Dabbler and over thinker...
Just outside Montreal

Current darts: Winmau Sniper 18g barrels; Lippoint plastic tips; #4 Fit Spinning shafts and Fit Super Shape flights
Home board: Blade 4 (playing with soft tips)
Discipline: Flight School
Eric Clarys started playing/practising with his wrong hand after he broke his elbow due to a fall from a ladder. But haven't heard about him for awhile.
Barneveld and Jenkins actually write with their non throwing hand.
I had a right shoulder injury in the 90’s that forced me to shoot with my left hand. I started out barely able to hit the board but worked my way all the way up to being a high-end poor or maybe low-end mediocre left-handed shooter. I got over the shoulder injury and went back to right-handed shooting without seeing how far I could press left-handed shooting. If I’d stuck with it, I doubt I’d ever had shot as well left-handed as I can right-handed. I’m right eye-dominant and I think the mechanics of shooting left-handed when you’re right eye dominant would have put a pretty low ceiling on how well I could have shot left-handed.
This past winter I ran into somebody I remember from playing in leagues a number of years ago.I immediately noticed he was throwing with his left hand. I asked him what was going on and he said he injured his right shoulder at work and couldn't throw anymore. He said he loved the game so much he decided to learn how to play left-handed. He was playing left-handed as well is I remember him playing right-handed. Good for him. It can be done.

Match Darts=Target Darryl Fitton,s® 22g

Back ups= Hmmmmm??? ®

And..A few sets of spares .®   Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Cheers,
 Ken 
Try to see the Doctor. I had tennis elbow last year and I found out that it was a side effect to a medication I was taking. So when they changed my prescription, pain was gone after a week.

Working on some 5lb arm weights before throwing/practice helps.
Hell I can't reach the board with my left hand and not much better with my right Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
The best part about tossing with your wrong hand is it feels like somebody else....Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
tried for a while when my shoulder was broke, got ok after a lot of practice but it always felt wrong and weird
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(06-29-2015, 05:36 PM)BigE Wrote: The best part about tossing with your wrong hand is it feels like somebody else....Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Haha Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Its good to know it can be done and I may end up seeing the doctor as I have tried the 'rest it' approach.

Also me right eye is knackered so I find throwing left handed I can line up the dart better - its all about keeping the arm straight on the throw which is pretty easy, just have to crack the release really as thats where its tends to go wrong the most, but I am definately going to keep having 10-15mins here and there and see if I can get a bit of consistency.

Cheers for the replies and thoughts Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I've responded to a couple similar posts and must say it does take time to get better with the off hand. I had a shoulder injury that required surgery and a good bit of physical therapy then months of not using it like normal until things got good and healed. Prior to surgery and during the recovery time I was still wanting to toss the darts so I did so left handed.

Like you, at first they were all over the board, but in time they started hitting what I was aiming for with some consistency. My biggest problem was hitting outs in 01 and bulls in Cricket. It's one thing to aim for a bed and hit it, but to aim for a specific double , or bull, was a bit more challenging. By the time I could start throwing again with my normal throwing hand, I had gotten fairly proficient with the other, so much so that when I was trying to get my normal throw back in form and get frustrated, I'd switch to my off hand. I got some strange looks doing that to be honest.

Now I'm back to my normal throw and rarely toss with my off hand, but do so every once in a while just to see if the consistency is still there, and it pretty much is.
I do it as a way to get a different feeling relative to technique. I've read that golfer Mac O'Grady (who could play from both sides) used to use his left-handed swing to try something new.

There are times I am really impressed with some of the goupings!
Target Capricorn Pixel 24g
Target Carrera C4 22g
One80 Dragon PVD 24g
i can get it roughly in the right area. if i practice for 30 mins or so i can manage to throw pretty well. i broke my wrist playing football when i was 12 and was in plaster for 3 months. during that time i learnt to write and eat left handed. i still eat left handed now and can write almost as well with my left as my right. i also play snooker / pool left handed.
the biggest problem i have throwing darts left handed is my stance. i really struggle to get that comfortable. as soon as i switch back to right handed my stance feels correct.
Darts: 22g Darts Clearance 
Shafts: Archers Vice Grip Medium
Flights: RD Standard 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Right Box Wrong Darts! Dave1880 6 856 01-27-2020, 09:42 AM
Last Post: Dave1880
  Switching from right hand throw to left hand throw PecosJoe 7 339 10-29-2019, 09:09 AM
Last Post: JamieJ
  Everything wrong, but still fun ! Borisbbadd 5 305 03-18-2019, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Spencerdl
  Dartscorner shipped me the wrong darts cubdog 89 7,105 01-10-2019, 07:49 PM
Last Post: Deano85
  Whats wrong with this? Bill Kipper knows do you? Getagrip 11 2,282 04-24-2018, 03:26 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  how to tell someone they are playing wrong? mcockrell 84 14,821 03-16-2018, 03:51 PM
Last Post: Adams
  Just need a bit of a hand Pearce.mcd 5 826 02-12-2018, 03:16 PM
  Oops! Wrong darts ordered. Oh well... Mortal ankle 16 2,030 12-25-2017, 03:59 AM
Last Post: SlingBlade
  Nice grouping but wrong bed!!!! Getagrip 17 2,354 02-02-2017, 02:22 PM