Shot Darts

Do you "wear out" darts?
A lot of my friends will keep the same darts for a long time or constantly rotate different barrels trying to find the perfect set.

About 3-4 months ago I started using Barney Phase 3 (shark grip) and have used them consistently.

I ended up winning a set of the Unicorn Razma 25g (thanks again Getagrip!) which are basically the same as Barney Phase 3's with a different center section (same exact dimensions, same weight, same 95% tungsten, etc..)

It wasn't until I felt the brand new Razma's that I realize how badly worn my original Barney's were...they had absolutely no bite. One of the reasons I love the shark grip is they have that sticky feeling to them...I use a very a loose grip and I get no slipping with shark grips. I noticed the last month or so I've been spending a lot of time cleaning my Phase 3's because they felt greasy/slippery...it wasn't until I had a brand new set that I realized just how trashed the grooves were.

I'm usually throwing 3-5 nights a week...sometimes just casual in my garage, other times leagues/tournaments.
I would say my darts really start to lose their grip after about 6-8 weeks of solid playing.

Tonight I sold my old Phase 3's to a local guy and he felt they were super grippy...but he also felt my newer Razma's were uncomfortably grippy/too much.
It was definitely a win-win for the both of us.

For people that prefer a grippier dart, how long does a set last? Some grip types like the Unicorn purist definitely lose their bite after a few months..but many prefer that broken-in feel.

A lot of it depends on where you grip the dart too...I grip near the nose which seems to be the first area to lose grip because of the collisions/contact with other darts.

Also, some of you that own very grippy darts that are now worn, you might be surprised how easy they are to sell...to many people, they still have tons of grip because these players may prefer a more medium grip anyway.
It is the curse of throwing a higher grip dart. Even after a week fresh out of the box darts will start to lose that edge they had. A couple of times I bought a different set for more grip when all I needed was a new set of my own ones.
[font=Courier New][font=Arial Black]Currently throwing 20g Wades badly at an Eclipse Pro[/font][/font]

Yes I'm regularly replacing Hamiltons depending on playing time etc...but the best I get before they've lost their useable grip for me would be 6-8months.

Cheers,
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

Yeah, I remember throwing a set of the Target Carrera's back when I was throwing smooth Hankey's and found the Carrera's to be WAY too grippy. I recently threw a set of my friend's Carreras (used) and found them to be great.

Does anyone think 95% tungsten darts wear longer? My friend's Taylor Phase 5's seem to wear quite well with the Purist grip. It makes me want to stick with the Barney Phase 3/Razma's because of the 95%...since I may get more life out of them.
My Barney phase 4 seemed to wear pretty quick and I find the pixel grip wears a lot too
Board - Gladiator 2 

Darts - Unicorn Aiden Kirk 22g

Best Leg 12 darts at last! 29/12/2017
Best Checkout 164

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Have you tried Phase 3s? They may be too sharp when you first use them but they'll wear in quite well. After a few weeks of play they are at the same level as a brand new set of Phase 4s.
I have had some previously and am after another to complete all phases of my RVB unicorn collection.
I've got some Bulls shark and Madars Razma too!
Board - Gladiator 2 

Darts - Unicorn Aiden Kirk 22g

Best Leg 12 darts at last! 29/12/2017
Best Checkout 164

I've also gone the Barny route with phase 4 and then the Razma way which I choose above all others. It's getting daily 1 hrs worth and after 3 months I noticed it too was seeming more smooth but still has bite, just not the same sharpness but I still prefer it.
I wonder if the 25g would smooth out sooner than a lighter dart of the same grade 95%?
I have just gone back to Carrera but when I used them before I think it was about 5 to 6 months before they had lost enough grip for me to think about a new set. My Gando ph 3 seemed to be worn after 2-3 months. I have seen quite a few reviews of the target Taylor's where the reviewer has said the pixel grip wears much better than the purist on the phase 5 unicorn Taylor's. As others have said I guess it's the way it is with grippy darts
Darts: 22g Darts Clearance 
Shafts: Nitrotech short
Flights: Standard No.2

Story of my life

MVG Collection: 21g Masterdarts MVG Silver/Black Ring/Gold/Black & 23g Masterdarts MVG Black
Darts Collection: Click to view my darts gallery

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I live a boring life. I can't even wear out flights, much less darts :s
They do wear for sure. MVG however been using the same set for ages I hear. While Jamie Lewis says he changes every 6 weeks. I guess it just depends on the person.
To be honest, I only use ring grip or smooth darts as I find any other grip too much.

I do know blokes in the pub who've had the same darts for years. One of them had a set of Glazier shark grip and you'd swear it was a normal ring grip they're worn that much. I just throw whatever feels comfortable at the time.
Twitter - @OH_THAT_DAVE

Instagram - @OH_THAT_DAVE
I suppose something like a pixel grip is an 'internal' grip and would wear more slowly than say a fine razor grip that is on the outside of a dart.
[font=Courier New][font=Arial Black]Currently throwing 20g Wades badly at an Eclipse Pro[/font][/font]

The only dart that I know of that wears really like iron and has a verrry good grip is the Unicorn Gripper. Those babies named right.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WEAR & TEAR (barrels) LKH9 4 592 05-15-2019, 03:02 PM
Last Post: Dorian
  What kind of shoes do you wear? jt4527 15 1,394 12-30-2018, 05:43 AM
Last Post: derrickyoung
  Dart Wear n' Tear Levonster 12 1,483 10-24-2018, 02:12 AM
Last Post: Ancient Darter
  feet ... what do you wear.shoes,trainers,slippers... Cooper84 27 4,807 11-11-2017, 10:38 PM
Last Post: gumbo2176
  Do you wear jewelry on your throwing arm / hand? Berlin180 22 3,016 10-26-2017, 07:43 AM
Last Post: Sidewinder