Harrows Darts.

pitching left
Hi i am having a bit of trouble with 1 out of three of my darts pitching into the 5 bed, i currently use 28g darts that aint that grippy but am thinking of moving down to about 26g as i have just joined a team and the format we are using at the moment involves us playing only 8 legs and am starting to get a bit of fatigue in my fingers by the end so if i lose a couple of grams and also get some more grip on my barrel would that sound like it would help with both problems?
I have a problem that's similar but its kind of more due to the injuries I have had but it is often my wrist rotating to the left that causes it, but I can get things moving smoothly and concentrate on keeping it squarer it is usually a lot better and its often when I get my best scores but I can only manage around 45 mins before I get tired from it.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
thanks for the tips matey
(06-05-2015, 02:22 PM)upthereds Wrote: Hi i am having a bit of trouble with 1 out of three of my darts pitching into the 5 bed, i currently use 28g darts that aint that grippy but am thinking of moving down to about 26g as i have just joined a team and the format we are using at the moment involves us playing only 8 legs and am starting to get a bit of fatigue in my fingers by the end so if i lose a couple of grams and also get some more grip on my barrel would that sound like it would help with both problems?

It depends if the overall balance of the dart changes -- it could get worse. Since you are so consistent with 1/3 in the five, that does not point to an equipment issue. The fatigue in the fingers suggests that you might be snatching darts... stopping your hand or pulling it back at the end of the shot can tighten up the arm/wrist, with tiring effects.

Without seeing your throw, it's all a big guess.

My guess is that 1 of 3 darts ( or more ) lack a complete follow through and/or the elbow is not held straight. So, ensure you have a complete follow through. And mind your elbow.... don't let it move to the side -- go straight at the target over top of the elbow.

As a drill, try targeting D20 and repeat the stroke - 10 minutes. Focus on one thing at a time -- first line up the shot, then follow straight through.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice guys
When I’m shooting the 20 and I push a dart into the 5, it’s almost always because I did a bad release and pushed the dart a bit to the left with the two fingertips I have on the right side of the barrel. When I focus and concentrate on doing a good, straight and even release I can avoid doing that. The biggest problem is maintaining the focus and concentration that I need to maintain.
For me because i have my middle finger on the point as i throw if even a little more pressure is applied to the dart me...being right handed will push the dart into the five segment.
When your throw is in sync you never even think about your grip it feels natural and usually you throw faster because you just want to throw darts at the board.
It's enjoyable but when something isn't quite right in your throw it can seen a chore.
If i'm in form darts feel good from the first few throws of the day.
If form is off some what it may take half an hour or so to try an get the right feel for your throw.
And some days you just don't hit form...thats just part of the experience.
That happens to my throws when I forget to align my body parts. Elbow sticking out thereby the arm has a slight angle. Aligning my elbow and keeping the arm almost vertical keeps my hand and arm aligned with the ball of my leading foot. With the above alignment, if ever there is a stray throw, it is either above or below the target and not upper left or lower right of my target. But I think the most important is the follow through.
Darts: 24gms Purist Phase 3; 23gms Perfect Storm 2; 22gms OLD Puma dart
180's: 2015 - 3 ; 2016 - 2
Highest Checkout: 120
Darter since Aug2015
Flight School Nov2015
Most if not all of my adventures into 5 land have been from short stroking or snatching also. I've started to look at alignment like DartMaster talks about, I didn't think it would make much difference in snatching but small things for me like rear foot placement have helped get me a more solid and smooth throw.
Some have talked about reaching for their next dart before they finish their follow through. I don't do that, but you might. My arm has a natural tendency to fall to the left after I release the dart. In another thread, someone suggested holding your hand pointed towards the target for a bit after release instead of letting it fall. This advice helps me to keep from drifting left. Hope it can help you.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...

(06-05-2015, 02:22 PM)upthereds Wrote: Hi i am having a bit of trouble with 1 out of three of my darts pitching into the 5 bed, i currently use 28g darts that aint that grippy but am thinking of moving down to about 26g as i have just joined a team and the format we are using at the moment involves us playing only 8 legs and am starting to get a bit of fatigue in my fingers by the end so if i lose a couple of grams and also get some more grip on my barrel would that sound like it would help with both problems?

I would advise you to film your throw if you haven't already.  This was the advice I got, which I took, and it helped my immensely as I saw that I wasn't following through as much as I thought.  Since then I have been working on my follow through during A1 and it has really helped my throw.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Left Left and Left Carpy 5 378 11-13-2020, 05:33 AM
Last Post: Robert Burns