Harrows Darts.

Targeted grouping drill: K3
Here is something the *really* works for me.

Why is it called K3? In A1, you can toss the third dart and still collect a mark. In A3, you shift after each successful dart. In A2, you succeed when three barrels touch, independent of the target. K3 is very much a targeted drill, but hitting the target is not enough. You have to keep focused for 3 darts in a relatively tight group, but not so tight as 3 barrels touching... hence "Keep 3".

So without further ado, let me describe K3:

The focus is on grouping around triples and bulls. The list of targets is:

T20,B,T18,B,T13,B,T10,B,T15,B,T17,B,T19,B,T16,B,T8,B,T14,B,T12,B

There are 22 targets. They are all the "interesting" triples. You *always* shoot all 3 darts at the current target. It may take more than one trip to the oche to change to the next target.

You move to the next target when you hit the current target AND all three darts are within a circle the size of a bull.

It is simple when the current target is a triple. Hit the triple and so long as all three darts are withing a circle the size of the bull, you move to the bull. They do NOT have to be in the same wedge, just in a circle the size of a bull. Eg, target = T10, darts in bottom T10, top T15, and S15 near T10 lets you move the the bull.

When going for Bull, this does not mean you need to hit three bulls. Doing so is success. You can also hit one green bull and put two near the wire on the same side. So long as the hit and two misses are grouped within a circle the size of the bull, you have succeeded. That let's you move to the next target -- a triple. eg. darts on the wire of the bull in S15, S10 and in the red bull lets you move to the next target....there are many other ways.....

What if you miss the target with the first dart further away than the diameter of the bull? What I recommend is follow that lousy dart and put the other two beside it, just like in A2. This will not get you to the next target, but it will help to focus your stroke. In this regard, K3 is not so different than A2.

You can choose to limit how many times you want to go through the list, or how much of the list you wish to go through each session, or how long you want to spend doing this with a timer. It does not matter.

The goal is to hit targets and maintain a nice group - a circle the size of the bull is just a starting point. To make it more advanced, you can demand that you hit two in the target, but what about the third one? Should you forget about that one? No! It should be "close" before you move to the next target -- you decide what is "close enough".

The point is you want to keep focused for 3 darts while expecting to be able to do the task.

Any comments/improvements/criticism is most appreciated.

CHEERS! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I notice in your drill you stay on a target until it is completed, whereas the FS drills tend to keep moving. Do you think it is better practice to stay on the one spot? What are the advantages and disadvantages of staying in one spot as opposed to progressing around the board after each throw?
This is a nice variation on the FS drills. Good work and idea BigE, deserves a +1 from me.
Of course you could throw in some doubles to the routine if you want to work on that area of your game too Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
=========================================================================================
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

(06-05-2015, 08:52 AM)davidsproull Wrote: I notice in your drill you stay on a target until it is completed, whereas the FS drills tend to keep moving. Do you think it is better practice to stay on the one spot? What are the advantages and disadvantages of staying in one spot as opposed to progressing around the board after each throw?

Looks like a good drill.

Staying on the number is working on accuracy.

I was have real trouble hitting 17's and 19's when aiming for either. So I have been using the 100 darts at 17's and 19's to make my aim more consistent on those numbers.

But moving around the board is just as important, as A1 requires.
This actually grew out of A2, which is all about is grouping/repeating the shot. Targeting is not important with A2 at all, stroke repetition/duplication is the goal.

A3 is all about targetting, but you move to the next target after hitting one of a target ( or missing 3 ). Stroke duplication of a really good shot is not the goal -- hitting a 180 is rewarded in K3. But so is hitting 66 as T20-T1-T1 with both T1 on the T20 wire. In my book, that *is* a really good shot and you should be rewarded for it.

The list contains the cricket triples and those other triples used to set up outshots. eg, T8-D20 for 64, T10-D20 for 70. It gives you the opportunity to hit say five 18s or 7 17s in a practice setting, without mindlessly hammering away at a particular triple or jumping away as soon as you hit it.

K3 is an attempt at exercising the skills of targeting and repetition in the same drill. The thinking I use is like this. Your mileage may vary:

You hit the target with the first dart. Your targeting system is turned off, repetition is activated for the next two darts.
You hit the target with the second dart. Repetition is activated for the last dart.
You hit that target with the third dart. Re-target next time.
You miss the target. Repeat that target.

What I find interesting are near misses of the first dart or second dart. Do you re-target or repeat the remaining darts? What are your tendencies? Do you rely on your targeting skills or on repetition to get you closer? Do you use the missed dart as a marker and micro adjust or throw fresh? If the dart is so close, do you just repeat? What is the tendency on a repetition attempt: Right/Left/Up/Down? There are loads of possibilities of what you do to recover....

The presence of the many bulls is another story..... think ending with large outshots, or cricket wins or diddling for bull.....
Sounds good to me Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
If you are wondering how to measure the width of the bull, just use a standard pear shaped flight. The diameter of the bull is about the same size as the width of the pear shaped dart.

It is surprising at just how far apart you might think two darts are, or how loose a group is until you measure it.
(06-05-2015, 04:35 PM)BigE Wrote: This actually grew out of A2, which is all about is grouping/repeating the shot. Targeting is not important with A2 at all, stroke repetition/duplication is the goal.

A3 is all about targetting, but you move to the next target after hitting one of a target ( or missing 3 ). Stroke duplication of a really good shot is not the goal -- hitting a 180 is rewarded in K3. But so is hitting 66 as T20-T1-T1 with both T1 on the T20 wire. In my book, that *is* a really good shot and you should be rewarded for it.

The list contains the cricket triples and those other triples used to set up outshots. eg, T8-D20 for 64, T10-D20 for 70. It gives you the opportunity to hit say five 18s or 7 17s in a practice setting, without mindlessly hammering away at a particular triple or jumping away as soon as you hit it.

K3 is an attempt at exercising the skills of targeting and repetition in the same drill. The thinking I use is like this. Your mileage may vary:

You hit the target with the first dart. Your targeting system is turned off, repetition is activated for the next two darts.
You hit the target with the second dart. Repetition is activated for the last dart.
You hit that target with the third dart. Re-target next time.
You miss the target. Repeat that target.

What I find interesting are near misses of the first dart or second dart. Do you re-target or repeat the remaining darts? What are your tendencies? Do you rely on your targeting skills or on repetition to get you closer? Do you use the missed dart as a marker and micro adjust or throw fresh? If the dart is so close, do you just repeat? What is the tendency on a repetition attempt: Right/Left/Up/Down? There are loads of possibilities of what you do to recover....

The presence of the many bulls is another story..... think ending with large outshots, or cricket wins or diddling for bull.....

OK that looks like it might be good fun, although I wouldn't say it is 100% correct that targeting is not important in A2, but rather that feel and repetition are the focus, and that you don't 'spot shoot'.
I think the A3 can feel a little jarring, especially when you have missed a shot,but know that if you could get a few more darts at it you could find your range!!
Being able to rely on back of brain functions and muscle memory is absolutely essential in darts, but there is no point in being able to send two darts into a tigh grouping after a good first dart, if you can't consistently make that first dart, every time. I think that is what the A3 teaches. (If George is around he can confirm or deny).
As for your drill I may have to give it a go. :-)
AFAIK, A3 teaches to hit the spot, A2 teaches to repeat the shot. Together, you have K3.

It is a little simpler than pure A2, in that all barrels do not have to touch as the group can be fairly large, and you still move on.

K3 is kind of a practice ring exercise where the ring position is set by the darts. I mean, consider using a ring the size of the Bull, positioned around the target so that all three darts fit it. That may mean that the ring is on the fat single side of a triple on one shot or on the narrow side or above/below other shots with at least one dart in the target itself giving you a mark.

This makes it a little more lenient in one sense. The hard line is when you wire a triple with three darts.... that does not give you a mark. A practice ring the size of a bull on the triple would.

If you are really advanced, you can choose to demand a tighter grouping than the size of a Bull. It's really up to you as to what you may consider success, but I recommend that you keep focused for all three darts. You cannot hit two T18s and launch the 3rd one away... it has to be within range of the other two -- that's a key point of K3.

It's easy to make the mistake of letting up in A1 after sinking two the target. Do that in K3, and you won't get the mark.
Hi BigE,

Thank you for the drill! it seems interesting. I will give it a go and see how it goes.

Cheers

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Silly grouping warmup studart 6 160 04-19-2021, 07:29 PM
Last Post: studart
  Tri-Segment Grouping Practice rawdarts 10 2,933 03-08-2018, 12:57 PM
Last Post: chak840
  Grouping and accuracy practice video neilbirkin 4 1,267 03-07-2018, 03:47 PM
Last Post: chak840
  Flight School A1 Drill Android App expos1994 6 2,156 09-26-2016, 02:09 PM
Last Post: JayPro
  KEY TREBLE PRACTICE DRILL Dorian 6 2,139 08-25-2015, 10:36 AM
Last Post: nivla
  Anyone have tips on getting my grouping tighter ? Black Dog 13 2,698 07-14-2015, 08:46 PM
Last Post: Dmott
  Dart grouping for more advanced players *Saber* 17 6,895 11-10-2014, 01:06 PM
Last Post: 2forty3
  Grouping your Darts *Saber* 21 10,465 08-12-2013, 11:35 AM
Last Post: *Saber*