Harrows Darts.

L-Style system ?
I am interested in trying the L-style system however after reading the information from many different posts I am somewhat confused.

Can the L-style have three different types of holes punched in the flight?
I have read about the various L-rings (slim-spring-slot lock and pigeon), shell lock rings, and champagne rings, 3 different shapes from what I can see.

The stems/shafts also seem to be more then just one type. A regular nylon shaft, and L-style shaft, laro and silent(is this a spinner or locked). There maybe more but then again I am not sure.

Can someone explain which items go together to make a shaft/stem and flight setup. It seems certain items will not fit together even though they are listed as L-style.

I was looking for a system that can spin the flight but not loose only when hit by another flight and I thought this system might be the one since the cosmos, fit, clic, etc. are much more expensive.
The laro is similar to the regular nylon shaft which you use the pigeon rings with. The l-shaft is used with champagne rings. Shell lock is for punching regular flights amd the ring has grooves to keep the flights at o0 degree angle. Silent spi. Is spinnner type available in either the laro or l-shaft type.
The Laro shafts come with the L-Rings for the Flight-L flights, L-Shafts come with champagne rings for the champagne flights, but they are interchangeable. I prefer to use laro shafts with champagne flights/rings, I find they hold tighter than the L-Shafts. I highly recommend this setup.
18-gram Target Carrera C11
L-Style In-between L-Shafts
L-Style Kite Champagne Flights
L-Style Lippoint Tips
I like the L-Shafts alot. I useally play with size 300 or 370.
They have from 130, 190, 260, & 330.
And they also have the slim from 300, 370 & 440.
I think the Slient are the spinners and the rest are locked.
Then you have the carbon side of them. Both in regular & slim.
And the new addition Carbon Silent. I havent tried Laro before. But I think theres a Laro Silent aswell.
Hey!!

Ok.. here's the dealeo:

If you want spinners, DEFINITELY go with the new carbon silent shafts - they're BOSS!

I used them for my first steel tip event ever with Lstyle Kites to add a little more drag than my normal teardrops, but left room for those ton 80s - worked perfectly!

The new model is half carbon at the bottom and half nylon where it spins - virtually no abrasion where it spins because of this and NO rattle! (Which was my only pet peeve of the older models)

Not to mention, the designs just look really cool...aesthetically you have many options with them now.

I personally like the normal Lstyle flights with the champagne ring. The rings come in different colors and different weights (if you want to add a tiny bit more weight to your flights). I have many extra sets if you want to mail you some - it would be my pleasure. I could even send you a set of Dimplex flights if there's a specific shape you'd like to try.

Let me know!

Cheers!
~promote darts - play darts~
(05-27-2015, 03:26 PM)trekbowl300 Wrote: I am interested in trying the L-style system however after reading the information from many different posts I am somewhat confused.

Can the L-style have three different types of holes punched in the flight?
I have read about the various L-rings (slim-spring-slot lock and pigeon), shell lock rings, and champagne rings, 3 different shapes from what I can see.

L-style Global
L-style makes two different types of flights (Flight L and Champagne Flight). Go to the link above to see two different types. Know that when most people speak of L-style flights, they're usually referring to the Champagne Flight which uses a Champagne Cup. The biggest advantage of the cup is that it prevents robin-hoods.

Flight L is for people who want to use a molded flight, but also want to continue using rings/springs (or you can use L-style Rings).

L-style flights come in many different shapes. They also have a 'thin' flights and a dimpled flights.

Champagne Cups, Rings, and Shell Lock
The Shell Lock is a special champagne style cup that you use with your standard nylon flights. The purpose the cup is to help hold your flights at 90 degrees and provide robin-hood protection.

To use a Shell Lock cup, you also need to purchase a Shell Lock punch to punch your flights.

I think the champagne cups and rings are self explanatory.

(05-27-2015, 03:26 PM)trekbowl300 Wrote: The stems/shafts also seem to be more then just one type. A regular nylon shaft, and L-style shaft, laro and silent(is this a spinner or locked). There maybe more but then again I am not sure.

L-style Shafts
L-style offers two (2) types of shafts. The Laro and the L-SHaft. Both the Laro and L-SHaft come in spinning and non-spinning models. They both offer carbon fiber models too. L-style named their spinning models 'Silent'.

(05-27-2015, 03:26 PM)trekbowl300 Wrote: Can someone explain which items go together to make a shaft/stem and flight setup. It seems certain items will not fit together even though they are listed as L-style.

Champagne cups in Champagne Flights, rings or springs in Flight L, Shell Lock caps in Shell Lock punched flights that you punch yourself.

Aside from that, all L-style flights work with all L-style shafts.

L-style flights are unique compared to the other molded flight competitors because.....all L-style flights work with virtually all shafts that a normal nylon flight uses.....you do not have to buy a special shaft to accompany an L-style flight.

In summary
- you do not have to worry about mismatching L-style flights and shafts, they all work together
- you do not have to buy an L-style shaft to use an L-style flight
- you can use an L-style flight, both the Flight L and Champagne Flight, on your normal stems

(05-27-2015, 03:26 PM)trekbowl300 Wrote: I was looking for a system that can spin the flight but not loose only when hit by another flight and I thought this system might be the one since the cosmos, fit, clic, etc. are much more expensive.

For the spinning models, you'll want to look at Laro and L-SHaft stems called 'Silent'.

Hope this clears things up. Let me know if you have questions.
I got a couple sizes to try out but so far i like the 330 & 300.

Heres one I havent tried yet. But like jcmounts mention. If you want spinners, Def try out the Carbon Silent by L-Shaft.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
To all a very big thanks for the information. At least now I have a better understanding on how all the different pieces work together and how I can go about trying this system.

I liked the fact that it was explained and repeated how different parts can be combined to make a setup according to an individual preference not just one setup fits all. However, giving so many options in this system is another problem, at least now I will feel more confident about my decisions with all the helpful information provided.

Habanerojooz that was an excellent description and helped me understand many things about the system that I was unsure about.
Jcmounts I may to you up on that offer once I decide which way I am going to try this system.

I most likely will buy prepunched flights and champagne Ring or shell lock ring to see how I like the way the darts fly. Regulatori has a post on using this system with Shell Lock rings and a punch but the punch will have to wait until I see how it works for me. Jcmounts your point and Huf’s picture make me think about the no rattle with the silent carbon shafts since I have recently read that carbon seems to be used by a number of the players on this site, also good luck on your journey to become a pro.
I tried L style flights, they only lasted me about a week. It will be the last time I buy a moulded flight when normal flights last me like forever.
100 Micron and tridents with whizlocks gives me all the benefits of a full system, but allows me to use whatever flight I want. I'm currently using some yellow dimplex with a shark on, and these have lasted 3 weeks so far, and these aren't regular nylon they feel more like paper, not sure what they are made of.
Started playing darts: Mid February 2015.

Darts used: Not having played for a long while, I am leaning towards my 23 gram eagles. 

180's:18 Since I started Mid February 2015. I stopped playing for a long period due to stupidity. Back to the learning process again, but am enjoying it. 
@trekbowl300 glad the overview helped.

I have been using L-style carbon shafts for over 3 years now. Each year, I play a heavy tournament schedule (steel and soft) and I practice a lot. I've broken only one (1) carbon shaft in that time. Truly amazing.

One other tip.....the L-SHaft has larger tines at the top of the shaft where the flight slots into the shaft. This was a purposeful design which makes it easier to insert a flight. Use the 'plastic' Champagne Cups (not aluminum champagne cups) as they fit those wider tines better than the aluminum champagne cups. BTW, L-SHafts actually come with plastic champagne cups.

Some of the aluminum Champagne Cups are specialty items (L-Style/DMC collaboration). I mention this tidbit just in case you get your hands on a set of the aluminum Champagne Cups. If you want to use these aluminum cups on the L-SHaft, they do work on the L-SHaft, just not quite as good. But, the aluminum cups work just fine on the Laro shafts.
Thanks again for the information. I have on order some regular flights that I was using an had the shell lock punched into them, a few posts I have seen don't seem to care for the molded flights like conanthewarrior and others, that may be a future trial.

So just for now I will try my regular flights with the shell locks. I also have the l-style silent shaft ordered to see how that works, along with some shell lock rings(caps) to match the colors I picked. I may try the Laro shafts next then decide which carbon shafts to get.

I will try this for a while because I have many other regular nylon shafts that are my size that I can use if I don't like the silent type.
Just as some additional info, they L-Style Silent Carbon shafts fit perfectly with Whizlock Caps. Better than any other shaft i have used.
Since you (Gadasoft) are using the L-Style spinning carbon shaft, I was just wondering how much better it is then the regular non carbon spinning shaft and the Laro shafts? Do you recommend just going to the carbon?

So since the Whizlock system will also work, was there any special reason why you picked that over L-Style punched flights and shell locks? I always look at all the options. The Whizlock punch is less expensive and then I could use all my old flights that are not punched. Another decision.

I have the L-style punched flights and shell locks on regular nylon shafts now. Gadasoft your information makes me think about the silent carbon shaft plus giving me two options for how the flights can get mounted on the shaft, more decisions oh well that is why I have 3 sets of darts could not decide on just one.

Thanks for the information.
There are only two different "hole" styles for L-Style.

1) L-Rings with fit well with thier Laro shafts.
&
2) Champagne Shape
which has 4 different caps. Shell Lock Caps which in use with a shell lock puncher you can punch the cap hole into any paper flight. Then you can regular plastic caps or "Champagne Rings" they also come in metal and premium metal.
Well after liking the shell locks on the shafts I presently have, I just ordered the L-Style silent carbon shafts and will hope for the best.

Seems like a few of you did like them and instead of buying another set of darts this change will keep my darts working for at least a few more months.

Either way I will be back to add my opinion on how these shafts worked out for me.