Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

massive drop in playing ability
hi all, been suffering a big slump. for example i used to hit at least 1 bull every 3 darts, now i struggle to hit 1 in 3 visits. misses are getting further and further away too. darts straying into 9, 12, 18, and 4 while aiming at 20 when i never got away from within the 5 to 1 range before. how do i overcome this? and how to cope psychologically?
Tinkering with stem length and different flights can help

Take a few days off can also be beneficial
Play like it means nothing when it means everything

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I would start making very subtle changes to see if you can pinpoint where the negative change happened.

Like really put an extra effort into not moving your body at all. Stay rock solid. It's like trying to test a gun for accuracy...you can get everything else right (grip, aiming, correct trigger squeeze, etc..)...but if you're rocking/moving, all of that goes out the window.

Then work on just very MINOR changes. Like...
-try standing up a little straighter or leaning a bit more forward (just try both)
-try different angles with your rear shoulder. Throw normally and then pull your rear shoulder back a little to get your body more lined up to the the board.
-stand 2-3 feet from behind the oche and really focus on giving that dart a full on follow through. I find myself really having to snap my arm into a full outstretched follow through if I expect to get enough power to reach the board (when I'm a few feet behind the oche). It also loosens up your body.
-Do subtle changes with your elbow height. I was struggling for a short period and found just a slight elevation of my elbow made a much more consistent/smooth throwing motion.
-Maybe angle your front/rear foot a bit different when standing on the oche.

Don't play around with grips or make major changes. Just do ONE SMALL CHANGE AT A TIME. That way you can narrow in on where the problem lies with compounding the issue and making it more complicated.

When I say make a change, that could mean ONE change per practice session. One session try tweaking the angles of your feet slightly....a different session try changing your elbow height or the angle of your rear shoulder.
That way you can focus on that one change and be much easier to nail down the issue.
Easy fix. Spend about an hour shooting at bulls. Take a break. Spend another half hour shooting at bulls. Take a break. And just when you're sick of throwing darts at the bull... do another hour. Repeat 5x per week. problem solved.
(05-25-2015, 12:05 PM)Cyanide Wrote: Easy fix. Spend about an hour shooting at bulls. Take a break. Spend another half hour shooting at bulls. Take a break. And just when you're sick of throwing darts at the bull... do another hour. Repeat 5x per week. problem solved.

That's what i've been doing for the past few weeks Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Want to make sure my stroke is fine, then go on to ingrain it.
Snap. Give up. Then Re-embrace the game after a day or two off. My theory anyway...........
(05-25-2015, 01:37 PM)kamikersie Wrote: Snap. Give up. Then Re-embrace the game after a day or two off. My theory anyway...........

I dislike this train of thought tbh. Defeatist attitude. I say attack the board and put things right. Never give in.
(05-25-2015, 02:06 PM)Cyanide Wrote:
(05-25-2015, 01:37 PM)kamikersie Wrote: Snap. Give up. Then Re-embrace the game after a day or two off. My theory anyway...........

I dislike this train of thought tbh. Defeatist attitude. I say attack the board and put things right. Never give in.

I agree. The board is the true opponent. You play the board every time out. It just happens that there is another person playing to try to limit your time at trying to beat it.

I would add to get a video of yourself throwing. What you feel you are doing is quite often different from what you are actually doing. Perception is often not reality.

Same happened to me. Practice makes permanent: perfect practice makes perfect. Go back to the basics and revisit them to identify what you are doing wrong. I was not still on the line.
(05-25-2015, 03:32 PM)BigE Wrote:

I agree. The board is the true opponent. You play the board every time out. It just happens that there is another person playing to try to limit your time at trying to beat it.

I would add to get a video of yourself throwing. What you feel you are doing is quite often different from what you are actually doing. Perception is often not reality.

Same happened to me. Practice makes permanent: perfect practice makes perfect. Go back to the basics and revisit them to identify what you are doing wrong. I was not still on the line.

I think what works for one individual will not work for others. I sometimes find that throwing the 10g microlites sorts out my throw as well. Think I was just grumpy when I posted that to be honest Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
IMO each approach could be argued as being valid. How’s that for fence-straddling? HA! Personally speaking, I’ve found a 24-hour rest period works best for me. On the occasions when things just refused to click for me no matter how hard or long I try, taking a day off and then roaring back in and hitting it hard the next day was the most productive course of action for me. Besides, it was probably the right time for a 50-mile bicycle ride anyhow.

On another note, the picture below is what I use to try to improve my bull shooting. The stickers are those cheap little 3/4” diameter (1.5X the size of the inner bull) stick-on tags that people use to price items at yard sales. You could probably argue that it’s no different than shooting triples and that it’s not the same as shooting the real bull because the stickers are all over the board, etc,etc,etc...but--- I find those silly things actually help me focus and concentrate better. Being older than dirt and half-blind, I think the neon orange color helps.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Concentrate on your throw, when thats right the darts will flow smoothly
Current Board 
Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore black flights, Voks Tornado points and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
(05-25-2015, 04:28 PM)Adams Wrote:
IMO each approach could be argued as being valid. How’s that for fence-straddling? HA! Personally speaking, I’ve found a 24-hour rest period works best for me. On the occasions when things just refused to click for me no matter how hard or long I try, taking a day off and then roaring back in and hitting it hard the next day was the most productive course of action for me. Besides, it was probably the right time for a 50-mile bicycle ride anyhow.

On another note, the picture below is what I use to try to improve my bull shooting. The stickers are those cheap little 3/4” diameter (1.5X the size of the inner bull) stick-on tags that people use to price items at yard sales. You could probably argue that it’s no different than shooting triples and that it’s not the same as shooting the real bull because the stickers are all over the board, etc,etc,etc...but--- I find those silly things actually help me focus and concentrate better. Being older than dirt and half-blind, I think the neon orange color helps.
[Image: https://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o74...hpnxf3.jpg]

Nice- its about focus - your looking at the general area but not looking at the target that my opinion.
I definately don't look intently at the target area, unless it's a double or a triple, simply because my eyesight has worsened.....
These is my thoughts based on where I stand now. If I take time off, I lose my throw. To get it back, I throw six identical 8g darts for a while. They force me to swing freely. I throw progressively heavier darts until I get to my desired throwing weight. I think a good throw is a leap of faith. I imagine a catapult. I think of my elbow as a fulcrum and my arm pivoting freely over it. I must just let it flow without aiming. If I don't, I subconsciously try to control my arm. This causes pushes and snatches. You have to swing freely and smoothly and hope for the best. Eventually, this free swing becomes standardized. You do it and know where the dart is going. You can aim and move the dart without changing the smooth acceleration and release of your dart. The moment you lose faith in that swing you will start trying to control your arm and all hell breaks loose. I imagine that is what has happened to LCD. I would suggest that he free his arm to do its own thing. It is not zen, but it is a relaxed state. Maintaining that is the entire secret of consistency.

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...

Thanks for the advice everyone. Been feeling tired from work, think I will rest for a few days then it's back to destroying the treble 20 Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  elbow drop on draw/pull back Fergus 4 399 07-26-2020, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Fergus
  Elbow Drop Help! 302help 12 400 04-30-2020, 06:14 PM
Last Post: 5or1
  Playing on your own v Playing against an opponent Dan180 6 509 02-09-2019, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Dan180
Exclamation Elbow drop, about to give the game up Tom Moon 21 5,221 06-06-2017, 03:30 AM
Last Post: alexrs21
  Darts drop to low Mattb0612 18 5,626 03-19-2017, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Mattb0612
  Drop outs arran01 6 870 11-24-2016, 01:40 PM
Last Post: arran01
Video Elbow drop, sigh mshelton 9 3,776 11-30-2015, 03:45 AM
Last Post: BigE