Target Darts.

Winmau Highlander 22g darts review

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjKvcq7E2PA

This is another set of darts provided by Winmau for our DODL league, so many thanks to them Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

These are the Highlander 22g model. There is a few models in the Highlander range and they have a lovely bronze coloured Titanium Aluminium Nitride coating and are 90% tungsten. They retail for around £28 - £30. You can find more info on the range here: Highlander Darts

CONTENTS AND PACKAGING:

The darts come in a plastic pack with a slide off lid. Inside the darts are fitted in a point protector with medium alloy stems and there is a set of Rhino standard flights all housed in a hard plastic case. The inlay card has a checkout card printed on it too.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

PICS OF THE DARTS IN DETAIL:

CLOSE UP PICS:

As I mentioned above the darts have a lovely bronze coloured coating which gives the darts a very nice look. The gip on these darts looks quite aggressively angled in the pics but its got smoothed off edges so it still kind of protrudes into your flesh but its more of a gappy feel than a digging in sensation. I would say its still a high level of grip though.

DIMENSIONS:

Length:

Width:

Detailed dimensions:

WEIGHT:

There was just four hundredths of a gram difference between 2 barrels but 3.3 tenths of a gram difference between the lightest and heaviest. I know its very small measurements of weight we are talking about here, its less than half a gram or half the weight of a standard 100 micron flight but nevertheless its a fairly noticeable difference on the scales if not in the hands but it does say on the pack they are matched within 1 tenth of a gram, so may be it just sneaked passed QC, its nothing to fret over though Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Weight with the full set up as supplied:

BALANCE:

It's another tough one to gauge really as the scallop kind of dictates where it rests so difficult to determine, seemed to be just slightly front of centre though with nothing attached:

with the supplied set up:

with my own medium short and extra short nylon stems and standard flights:

MY GRIP WITH THESE DARTS:

I gripped quite close to the nose of the barrel on these, darts were fairly well balanced there but I think balance was best in the centre but not much in it.

Darts landed tail up Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

CONCLUSIONS:

This is quite a nice dart overall. It has a very nice coating which adds a little to the grip but I think its the grip itself that makes the dart nice to throw. I found it worked well with my front grip and the grip is quite definite and pronounced but because its edges are smooth it releases cleanly from your grip.

I tried throwing from the centre and the rear too, centre it was nicely balanced but you only have the smooth scallop there and lose out on the nice grip at the front and rear. Throwing from the rear was too awkward for me but I suspect it should be fine if your a natural rear gripper.

So the darts will probably suit any style of grip but like I said above centre grippers lose out on the smooth edged shark grip but the nice coating will add a bit to the grip here, so I could still be worth giving them a try.

Darts were nicely behaved through the air, I never noticed any untoward movement and overall they were very enjoyable to throw.

Its a nice looking dart with a nice feel Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Summary Ratings:

Looks: 7.5 (I quite like the look and the bronze colour enhances it)
Grip: 8.5 (on a 1 to 10 Scale, 10 been severe grip)
Weight match: 6 (2 quite close but third a fair bit off)
Quality: 8 (seems nice overall despite slight weight mismatch)
Value: 8 (good)
Suitability for me: 8 (Work quite well with my front grip)

Best Feature: Grip Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Phenomenal pics and review again!
If you will ever need a new job, you could easily be a photographer.
Your gifted man!

Nice looking darts, but I think if they should be within a tenth of gram,
then 0,3 gram difference is a bit too much..

Anyway, thanks for the review!
+1
Thanks Babe! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Yeah I am not sure if that barrel just slipped through but like I say its not really something you can detect in your hand although if your pedantic enough or is it obsessive enough to weigh your barrels and are a little OCD it could really bug you I guess Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Love the colour on these darts. That sure is an interesting looking grip - one of those ones you would need to try I guess. The pics are too good again Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

Cheers, yeah its a nice colour Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Hi, great review and nice darts  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  Any experience how looks the bronze coating after few weeks/months of using this darts?
(03-29-2016, 03:49 PM)vojtech26 Wrote: Hi, great review and nice darts  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  Any experience how looks the bronze coating after few weeks/months of using this darts?

Thanks but these were given a way in a comp so I don't have them any more Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(03-29-2016, 04:53 PM)Getagrip Wrote:
(03-29-2016, 03:49 PM)vojtech26 Wrote: Hi, great review and nice darts  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  Any experience how looks the bronze coating after few weeks/months of using this darts?

Thanks but these were given a way in a comp so I don't have them any more Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Ok  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. I suppose that this type of coating is always little bit battered after some time of using...
yeah I think the coatings will always wear but they can wear quicker for some than others depending on your sweat etc Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Thanks for the review. I've recently bought some of these as my first tungsten darts. In Sports Direct though where I first saw them, they're not called Highlanders but Series 8.0(all the Winmau ones I saw are called "Series X.0"). Not sure why the rebranding.
The good grip and thin barrel were the key features for me.
I think sometimes the have different branding for specific shops Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(10-04-2016, 09:09 AM)Getagrip Wrote: I think sometimes the have different branding for specific shops Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I eventually bought it on ebay, and they're all called "series 8.0" there too. Maybe the sellers buy from there in bulk or something and then sell them on.
No idea its a bit of a mystery with them sometimes Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Looks like an overpriced bronze version of the Pentathlon Royal darts.

Nice review as always by the way!
Match Darts: Target Phil Taylor gen 3, 22 g
Best 501:
19 darts
180s (2017):
 91/60

180s (2018): 87
180s (2019): 7

Have a set of Highlander's at 24 gram that I use to throw and they were a fine dart, nicely balanced.

The coating on them stood up very well.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Winmau 2022 Michael Van Gerwen Exact 21.5g Darts Review Getagrip 16 384 11-07-2021, 02:15 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Winmau 2022 Firestorm Darts Review Getagrip 9 190 11-05-2021, 10:27 AM
  Winmau Vincent van der Voort Darts 23g review Cateye 39 4,048 11-02-2021, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Cateye
  Winmau 2022 Simon Whitlock Black Gold Edition Darts Review Getagrip 10 216 10-31-2021, 10:25 AM
  Winmau Mervyn King Special Edition Darts Review Getagrip 15 692 08-03-2021, 02:21 PM
  Winmau Vincent Van Der Voort Darts Review Getagrip 12 204 07-13-2021, 02:16 PM
  Winmau Joe Cullen Darts Review Getagrip 7 739 05-23-2021, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Phil McKeown
  Winmau MVG Assault Darts Review Getagrip 9 466 03-31-2021, 12:18 PM
  Winmau Steve Beaton Special Edition Darts Review Getagrip 9 445 03-25-2021, 05:10 PM
  Winmau Ted Hankey Special Edition Darts Review Getagrip 8 477 03-08-2021, 01:24 PM
Last Post: thet