Darts Buddy

ultra light darts
hi to all again....

was having a discussion with a friend last night about darts 18g and under down to I think 12g are these seriously throw able ive never tried anything under 19g and those felt very light and was wondering if those sorts of darts would suit limited people.

PRO'S/CON'S please?

please can anyone using very lights darts heads me up on this? many thanks
Steve Bunting uses 12g darts and he isn't doing too badly for himself - so yes, they are throwable
Dennis Priestley, Ted Hankey, Stephen Bunting, and Bob Anderson have all won world championships using darts 18 grams or lighter.

Most all soft tip players all over the world use an 18 gram dart standing 8 feet away from the board.

Pro's - Rarely are you ever blocked from a treble bed. This is why I use lighter darts. When I throw 2 into any treble I get the visual that I can fit 3 or 4 more in there. The smaller dart I use (5.8mm) doesn't take up much room in any segment.

Con's - They might be affected by drafts if playing in a large area? Just a guess though. I've been using 18 grams and lighter for over a couple decades and I've never had an issue with drafts.

Here's the one thing I see time and time again on a few dart forums. Members will purchase a light dart, for example, a 14 grams Ted Hankey dart. They will test it out and claim to be smashing 140's and scoring like they never have before. Only to put them away and say they don't dare to venture over to the light side for any extended period of time. Or the best one I see is they play so well with a light dart they say "maybe I'll use them as a training tool". Like wth? That doesn't even make any sense. If I picked up a set of darts and shot lights out with them I would strongly consider keeping them as my match darts lol. I do think there's a negative stigma with light darts though. Almost as if we're not supposed to use them or it's wrong to use them.
I use 7.5 gram . Very good
180-1(33)
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I am biased ,,, the lighter the better ,,,,,, for me that is ,,,,
The number one shooter in my league shoots 13.5g Harrows Pinz. He places those things so close together that it’s uncanny and he hits doubles, triples and the bull just as easily as I can hit the big bed of the 20.
Lighter darts make you throw more consistently. You need to throw them more accurate otherwise they fly off course.
I love 25-26gm darts however I have switched to a 23 gm arrow and really like them but like Kamikersie said you must stay really focused or they (for me) fly off course.
I'm throwing Harrows Pinz PZ1 11.5g ( Barrel ), for the last Two months after moving down from the Pinz PZ3 Model 19.5g ( Barrel )

Last August I was throwing 27g Barrels... I went down to 25g, then 22g, then 19.5g, and now 11.5.g. It has worked tremendously for me, the move to lighter Darts is some thing I recommend.

You don't have to to throw them harder, just throw normal and soon your Body & mind mechanics will compensate naturally for the weight reduction.... this Compensation and subtle changes of focus from the Body & mind and been a revelation for me personally, and have been I think so far the Number 1 reason my Darts have improved so much.
(05-16-2015, 11:50 AM)Troll Wrote: I use 7.5 gram . Very good

And what're these 7.5g you got... Intriguing, eh...!

I would be most grateful if you could divulge the Make & Model.
(05-17-2015, 09:24 PM)ReggaeDarts Wrote: I'm throwing Harrows Pinz PZ1 11.5g ( Barrel ), for the last Two months after moving down from the Pinz PZ3 Model 19.5g ( Barrel )

Last August I was throwing 27g Barrels... I went down to 25g, then 22g, then 19.5g, and now 11.5.g. It has worked tremendously for me, the move to lighter Darts is some thing I recommend.

You don't have to to throw them harder, just throw normal and soon your Body & mind mechanics will compensate naturally for the weight reduction.... this Compensation and subtle changes of focus from the Body & mind and been a revelation for me personally, and have been I think so far the Number 1 reason my Darts have improved so much.

This is one of the best posts regarding light darts I've read. Simple and to the point. I 100% agree.
I agree as well,,,, throwing light darts is a challenge that I enjoy,,,,,,
Just wondering why there's not much choices among light weighted steel tips. There's only limited models that goes below 18g. I'm referring to the fixed steel tips not the convertible type. But there are a lot of models available for the 26g and above type.
I own and use about 15 sets (don't ask) of 10 gm RD Microlites; and somewhere on this site is an article I wrote on the issue at question but I can't find it. I also throw darts in 7, 12, 18, 21, 23, 24, 25, 29 gm but sometimes I like to bring out the little guys and I use them in comps. A good practice with the 10gms and then switch to my usual darts I Find it makes a huge difference, for a while at least, improves my rhythm and cadence.
But this suits me. But I am right of course.
You don't mess with The Voice of Reason. You have the right to be wrong.

(05-18-2015, 05:04 AM)majeek Wrote: Just wondering why there's not much choices among light weighted steel tips. There's only limited models that goes below 18g. I'm referring to the fixed steel tips not the convertible type. But there are a lot of models available for the 26g and above type.

I think that's a big reason why there aren't more light dart users. The choices are limited. But I do see more and more companies coming out with lighter darts. So that's a good thing Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oche! A New Darts Magazine Quick Look In 4K Ultra HD Getagrip 5 417 02-20-2020, 01:30 PM
Last Post: mc1958
  Light weight darts PecosJoe 19 1,174 08-30-2019, 04:47 PM
Last Post: The Fox
  Light darts Matt.1994 22 1,744 05-22-2019, 05:44 PM
Last Post: holmesness
  Light darts Kaigen Moore 20 1,964 11-27-2018, 03:27 AM
Last Post: The G
  Help with stems on ultra core darts. Mac-attack99 4 495 10-15-2018, 09:17 AM
Last Post: Mac-attack99
  Ultra Darts Seán4393 17 1,683 06-28-2018, 10:38 AM
Last Post: Seán4393
  LIGHT DARTS FOR REAR GRIPPERS ? ChrisTheFish 11 1,630 04-22-2018, 11:02 AM
Last Post: benjarnis
  Target Ultra Chrome Flights Crusher17 25 2,765 02-07-2018, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Crusher17
  Aurora Halo Darts Light Surround foxsake 4 663 12-06-2017, 10:33 PM
Last Post: foxsake
  Your darts are too light? A guide how to make them heavier... TheRedBit 16 5,848 01-21-2017, 11:09 AM
Last Post: Humdinger