Darts Buddy

What happens to your darts when you shift your grip forward/back?
I guess this only applies to people that thrower straighter barreled darts. If you go back/forward on a torpedo shaped dart, it REALLY throws off the balance significantly.

For people that throw straight barreled darts, what happens to your darts (in flight and how they land on the board) when you shift your grip forward/back but using the same grip?

Do you have any of the same consistency?

Do the darts tumble/tail wag in flight?

Do the darts land in the board at a strange or different angle than usual?

Just curious. I grip the barrel right near the front. My darts land flat.

If I grip the dart in the center, the darts fly okay but not as consistent and the tail angles upward.
If I grip near the rear, the darts will start to tumble/fish tail in the air and often land at odd angles.
I was thinking about this only last night. I can definitely throw straight barrels better, but struggled with getting a consistent grip. It was seriously doing my head in. After a few weeks of frustration and trying different darts I have settled (for now) on the Red Dragon penetrators. I like the smoothness of the barrel but I love the cut outs, gives me perfect placement each time.

Anyway, back to topic, I found that if I used Phase 2 for example, then my grip changed anyway. If I'm throwing for T20 then I hold it front to middle, but if I'm throwing for a bottom double (D7, D19, D3, D17, D2) then my grip shifted to the back to push through the dart. When I held if front to middle they would land near the treble or off the board completely. If I hold at the back to throw for T20 it ends up in D20.

I've not noticed any difference in the how the dart flies and found that short stems and standards work better. I went through all different set ups with flight/stem sizes but these seem to be the best set up
Twitter - @OH_THAT_DAVE

Instagram - @OH_THAT_DAVE
(05-11-2015, 07:58 AM)The Egg Wrote: I was thinking about this only last night. I can definitely throw straight barrels better, but struggled with getting a consistent grip. It was seriously doing my head in. After a few weeks of frustration and trying different darts I have settled (for now) on the Red Dragon penetrators. I like the smoothness of the barrel but I love the cut outs, gives me perfect placement each time.

Anyway, back to topic, I found that if I used Phase 2 for example, then my grip changed anyway. If I'm throwing for T20 then I hold it front to middle, but if I'm throwing for a bottom double (D7, D19, D3, D17, D2) then my grip shifted to the back to push through the dart. When I held if front to middle they would land near the treble or off the board completely. If I hold at the back to throw for T20 it ends up in D20.

I've not noticed any difference in the how the dart flies and found that short stems and standards work better. I went through all different set ups with flight/stem sizes but these seem to be the best set up

My...........never thought of holding the dart in different areas for different parts of the board. Maybe holding where you do makes a relatively big difference where the flight/shaft angle is when you release. Flight lower it flies higher, flight high flies lower. You have to get your super slow motion camera on in and let us seeGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Interesting observation.........
Target Raymond Van Barneveld 9Zero 26gr
Unicorn Raymond Van Barneveld Phase 2 25gr
Unicorn Raymond Van Barneveld Phase 5a 24gr Natural
Unicorn Phase 3 24gr
Unicorn Keegan Brown 22g

Winmau Blade 5

michael Smith changes grip for different parts of the board
Darts: 25g phase 1 Barney copy (Darts Clearance) 
Stems: DC short
Flights: std 75mc
Board: Winmau Blade 5. 

Best 100 at 20 score: 115 (17/10/18)
Current ave: 95

Please follow my blog:

Blog: https://mydartinglife.blogspot.com

Twitter: lukestacey@mydartinglife

If I let my grip get too far forward, I poke myself in the eye on my drawback.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

(05-11-2015, 12:21 PM)AD18 Wrote:
(05-11-2015, 07:58 AM)The Egg Wrote: I was thinking about this only last night. I can definitely throw straight barrels better, but struggled with getting a consistent grip. It was seriously doing my head in. After a few weeks of frustration and trying different darts I have settled (for now) on the Red Dragon penetrators. I like the smoothness of the barrel but I love the cut outs, gives me perfect placement each time.

My...........never thought of holding the dart in different areas for different parts of the board. Maybe holding where you do makes a relatively big difference where the flight/shaft angle is when you release. Flight lower it flies higher, flight high flies lower. You have to get your super slow motion camera on in and let us seeGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Interesting observation.........

Happened purely by accident. Went for a low check out and the dart slipped in my hand, hit the double on the first dart. Since then I've experimented and found that it works a treat.

To this day, I'm the only player on my team that has checked out on a lower number (to my knowledge at least), even the guys who play off 19's won't go for the double. Always a top double to start (301 double in double out) and actually witnessed a guy on 4 try to check out on 2 x double 1. Needless to say he lost
Twitter - @OH_THAT_DAVE

(05-11-2015, 02:14 PM)NiteEyez Wrote: michael Smith changes grip for different parts of the board

Yeah, saw that in his Unicorn interview. When he's scoring on 20's he throws from the shaft, but when he goes low he moves his grip forward. The reverse of me basically.
Twitter - @OH_THAT_DAVE

I get similar results to you Regulatori. I would grip near the front, not right at the front, but between middle and front. If I move back to the middle it feels ok. Not perfect, but not terrible! The dart flies straight, but I feel like I don't have the same level of control. If I move my grip to the back of the dart, which incidentally is where I would have gripped the dart when I first started playing, the grip feels totally alien to me now! The dart will still travel reasonably straight, but the accuracy is not there at all. I often wonder how I managed to throw like this only a few years ago!
I will definitely be sticking to my front middle grip as that is what feels best for me right now and works!
=========================================================================================
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

My results seem to follow Regulatori's. If I shift my grip farther back, which will put it in the middle, the darts land tail high and all over the place. If I grip on the rear the wall takes a hammering.
Dabbler and over thinker...
Just outside Montreal

Current darts: Winmau Sniper 18g barrels; Lippoint plastic tips; #4 Fit Spinning shafts and Fit Super Shape flights
Home board: Blade 4 (playing with soft tips)
Discipline: Flight School
I definitely adjust my grip somewhat in order to affect the flight of the dart. When I grip forward, the dart flies flatter but lower. When I grip at the rear of the dart, my dart has very slight amount more lob (I still throw a pretty flat dart though) and lands higher. I use this frequently for checking out on the lower part on the board, say 7-2, and to a lesser extent on 16 and 15.
I find the further near the front I hold them, the lower in the board they land. About 3/4 of the way back is right for me on straight barrels.

I don't notice them land at odd angles or anything, it just affects the height of where they land.
Started playing darts: Mid February 2015.

Darts used: Not having played for a long while, I am leaning towards my 23 gram eagles. 

180's:18 Since I started Mid February 2015. I stopped playing for a long period due to stupidity. Back to the learning process again, but am enjoying it. 
Great Question.

Firstly I've been musing that this is an Important factor in answering another Question or request for advice... the Question being, tersely implied by me: I want to get a flat lay how do I do, or what do I need to achieve.

Gripping yer Barrel further forward or Backward could, perhaps give to some thing to work with.

I'm a Front Gripper, right on Front & Point... with a Barrel length of around 45mm and upwards I will get a Flat to Tail down Lay with my Darts thrown.

If I moved my grip back, and especially to the rear..... so long as they don't Fish-tail all over the Gods damn place, they will Land with the Tail well up.
(05-12-2015, 10:13 PM)ReggaeDarts Wrote: Great Question.

Firstly I've been musing that this is an Important factor in answering another Question or request for advice... the Question being, tersely implied by me: I want to get a flat lay how do I do, or what do I need to achieve.

Gripping yer Barrel further forward or Backward could, perhaps give to some thing to work with.

I'm a Front Gripper, right on Front & Point... with a Barrel length of around 45mm and upwards I will get a Flat to Tail down Lay with my Darts thrown.

If I moved my grip back, and especially to the rear..... so long as they don't Fish-tail all over the Gods damn place, they will Land with the Tail well up.

smaller flights. Less lift = flatter lay. slims or kites will do it.
Twitter - @OH_THAT_DAVE

(05-12-2015, 10:31 PM)The Egg Wrote:
(05-12-2015, 10:13 PM)ReggaeDarts Wrote: Great Question.

smaller flights. Less lift = flatter lay. slims or kites will do it.

I throw with Marathon Slims on my Pinz, and Target Slims or Cosmo Super Kites on my Buntings. I got the same Lay when I used Target Standard, a flat to tail down....

I switched to Slims cos they take up less space, when I switched to slims there was ultimately no change... the only change comes from when I move my grip further back... when I do, I'm rubbish, but I get a few straight ones, it's tail up.
Sometimes the dart fish-tails if i hold it towards the back abit too much, or it flies too fast if i grip it all the way to the front. Maybe its just my bad throwing posture

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Getting Back into darts require new set Mark Dwyer 5 19,524 07-13-2017, 11:31 AM
Last Post: The Nomad
  Back in a darts league NylonRaider 8 1,035 06-26-2017, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NylonRaider
  John Part darts - looking forward to them!! dannyd180 16 2,531 05-08-2017, 02:45 PM
Last Post: Great White North