Shot Darts

Target Phil Taylor 9Five Gen 2 Quattro 26g darts review

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61ff9YgrqU0&feature=youtu.be

I tried and reviewed the Target Power Gen 1 darts in 24g but wanted to try the Gen 2 in the weight Taylor uses, more out of curiosity really. I had a lot of people asking me to review these darts but as everyone knows I am not a rear gripper so the new Quattro grip is kind of wasted on me.

The darts are 95% tungsten and have Pixel grip rings with the new scalloped Quattro grip on the rear. They also have new Gen 2 Power Shafts made of titanium with replaceable alloy pinch grip tops.

The darts retail for £75 and come in 22, 24 and 26 grams.

You can find more info on the Target site here: Target Taylor Quattro

CONTENTS AND PACKAGING:

The darts come in a slim box which has some nice graphics and the darts are already set up inside a foam insert. The barrels are fitted with the Titanium Gen 2 Power Shafts and Taylor Vision Edge flights:

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

PICS OF THE DARTS IN DETAIL:

CLOSE UP PICS:

I think the darts are still a good looking dart and the addition of the Quattro grip has given them more of an unusual look but I think its added to the aesthetic look overall and its nicely set off with the blue Ti coating, the very fine grip on the scallops here kind of plays tricks with the light so you get different shades of blue which is nice but not really something you see if gripping there, it is just something pleasing to the eye Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. The pixel grip is where the barrel is most grippy and I would say its a high medium. The Quattro grip has a very comfy feel to it and the fine lines have some slight grip that feels more of slightly sticky feel to me but is generally just a low medium level but the scallop itself acts as kind of a grip.

DIMENSIONS:

Length:

The barrels are not long, just a fairly short bullet style really:

Width:

The barrels are thickest round the Pixel grip rings:

Dimensions in detail:

Notice that these are not drilled out as far as the 24g set were:

WEIGHT MATCH:

There is just five hundredths of a gram difference between the lightest and heaviest barrel, so well within acceptable levels and rather good for a barrel design with as much machining as these.

Weight with the full set up as supplied:

BALANCE:

With nothing attached the balance was just a little front of centre, not as much towards the front as it was with the 24g Power Gen 1 I tried Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

With the supplied set up the balance shifted closer to the Quattro grip, I think with the 24g Gen 1 it was still a little to the front with flights and shafts on:

Balance with my own medium, short and extra short nylon stems and standard flights:

MY GRIP WITH THESE DARTS:

As everyone knows I am a front gripper and I felt they were most suited to me gripping just behind the notches and half on the begging of the pixel grip rings:

With standard flights attached the darts landed a little tail up for me, but when I threw with the Taylor Vision Edge flights attached they were landing tail down:

CONCLUSION:

Like I said above I think these are good looking darts but the Quattro grip is definitely made for Taylor and rear grippers. I just could not throw the dart at all holding it there but I was expecting that to be the case really. I have to say though it did feel nice if a little strange. It was comfortable to hold there but had a kind of square feeling to it. When I tried though the darts were just not behaving so I'm sorry but if your a rear gripper then your still going to have to try them to see as I cant really help you with that one other than to say it feels unique but comfy if a little squarish and thin Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I much prefer throwing the darts from my more natural grip which is closer to the front and half on the Pixel rings. The rings have a good level of grip and its edgy enough without been too aggressive. Balance from there for me personally was very good and I tend to think they felt better to throw than the 24g Gen 1 I tried. Of course I still had the same issue with the very small Vision Edge flights I had with the 24g Gen 1. I just don't get on with such small flights and the darts did not fly right for me with them. After switching to standards again, they flew so much better and after playing with them longer I was really liking how they flew. Once you have them set up to your liking they are a very responsive dart and it just takes a little practice and you should be well rewarded with some good results.

I think the new Ti pinch grip shafts are great though, they are much better than the ones that come with the Gen 1 model and I think they add to the darts overall feel when throwing.

Its not a cheap dart though, at £75 they have to be a considered purchase, I can see that the extra machining and ti coating and Ti shafts etc must have added more to the price but you still may need to try them if your not sure your going to like the Quattro grip. For people who wont be gripping that area then its a tough decision to decide on a purchase still, because do you go for the Gen 1 or give these a go? I tend to think they worked better for me than the Gen 1 did and that may have something to do with the Quattro grip altering the balance of the barrel?

I cant really decide for you but for me they felt better to throw.

As for the quality, well its top notch really. Nicely machined and a very nice feel overall.

Nice darts with a unique grip Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Summary Ratings:

Looks: 9 (I like the look better than the Gen1)
Grip: 7 (on a 1 to 10 Scale, 10 been severe grip)
Weight match: 8 (close)
Quality: 8 (nice quality)
Value: 6 (Expensive but nice)
Suitability for me: 7.5 (worked well with standard flights for me)

Best Feature: Tempted to say looks but will say the Grip, it feels nice for rear grippers Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

great review Darren! +1 I can't wait for mine to arrive!
TITAN
Darts: Target Carrera C4 22g Black
High Out: 158 (T20-T20-D19)
(04-30-2015, 07:17 PM)Titan Wrote: great review Darren! +1 I can't wait for mine to arrive!

Cheers James Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Those pictures!! Hands down the best dart review I have ever seen.
Started Playing: October '14
Highest Checkout: 170
Best Leg: 11 Darts
180's: >250

(04-30-2015, 07:35 PM)TiernanTon80 Wrote: Those pictures!! Hands down the best dart review I have ever seen.

Thanks Tiernan Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

I call dibs if u ever want to get rid of them Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
TITAN
Thanks very much for this!
Simply sensational,both the darts and the review!
And what did you hit with that third dart?Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Mine should be here monday Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Great review as always!
(04-30-2015, 08:18 PM)Titan Wrote: I call dibs if u ever want to get rid of them Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I thought your already waiting for some?

(04-30-2015, 08:46 PM)Babe180 Wrote: Thanks very much for this!
Simply sensational,both the darts and the review!
And what did you hit with that third dart?Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Cheers!

LOL it was a lamp with a metal shade, clangs like a bell, would have smashed the bulb if it was facing towards the board!

(04-30-2015, 08:47 PM)m1ghty Wrote: Mine should be here monday Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Great review as always!

Thanks mate! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Yeah Grip, you have something special with your pic taking skills. I'm not even sure if you have the desire to do it, but imagine if dart companies hired your skills to improve their sites? It's not even like your pics are a little bit better than the next closest. They're head and shoulders above anything I've ever seen. Stunning really. A high paid professional with photoshop couldn't do better. +1
i do, these would be for my Phil Taylor collection. I have his Gen 1 in 26g and now i need his gen 2 in 26g Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
TITAN
Great review and awesome pics!
Like all your reviews mate, check them always on youtube. You're doing good work, keep going!
Great review as always.
Top quality review as all of them

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Target Yohkoh 01 Darts Review Getagrip 12 121 Yesterday, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Target Nastri Darts Review Getagrip 18 343 10-14-2021, 07:14 PM
  Target Hema 02 Darts Review Getagrip 5 86 10-13-2021, 12:21 PM
  Target German Giant Gabriel Clemens 80 Black Darts Review Getagrip 3 74 10-11-2021, 01:56 PM
  Target Raymond van Barneveld RVB95 Gen 4 Darts Review Getagrip 14 218 10-05-2021, 03:58 PM
  Target Phil Taylor Power 9Five Gen 8 Darts Review Getagrip 10 188 10-03-2021, 04:17 PM
  Target Nathan Aspinall 80 Darts Review Getagrip 5 324 04-18-2021, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Chris B
  Target Glen Durrant 80 Darts Review Getagrip 5 388 04-10-2021, 04:48 PM
  Target Stephen Bunting Gen 4 Darts Review Getagrip 32 1,417 02-25-2021, 02:40 AM
Last Post: asquick
  Target Danny Baggish Gen 1 Darts Review Getagrip 20 917 02-08-2021, 03:06 PM