Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Solidifying Arm Movement
I'm trying to solidify my throw and after reading and watching various articles I'd like to get clarification on how certain parts of the throw affect arm movement, or vice versa. As such I look at the arm structure as shoulder to elbow as A to B. Elbow to wrist as B to C. During the actual throw point A to B does not move at ALL. The throw/power is generated by moving B to C back and forth in an arc. The upper arm, A to B, should not move at all until AFTER the dart is released and then should move marginally upwards caused by the follow through. Moving any part of A to B during the throw prior to release results in more of a pushing of the dart instead of throwing it. Correct? Lastly does B to C have to be at a 90 degrees angle to floor for proper throwing technique. I'm struggling with this right now and need some guidance. Thanks in advance.
Target Raymond Van Barneveld 9Zero 26gr
Unicorn Raymond Van Barneveld Phase 2 25gr
Unicorn Raymond Van Barneveld Phase 5a 24gr Natural
Unicorn Phase 3 24gr
Unicorn Keegan Brown 22g

Winmau Blade 5

Gary Anderson kinda just pulls back to his eye and aims with the dart from there, which isnt 90 degrees to the ground, so I think thats not necessary.

I think it was a Uniboffin article I read once, but he was saying movement of the elbow during the throw is not a bad thing. Your elbow should be coming up as you throw. If you didn't bring your elbow up, you would have to let go of the dart sooner, which in theory would be less accurate like a short vs long barrel on a gun. But then if you listen to Bob Anderson he says only the forearm should be moving, nothing else should move at all.

So my answer is, I dont know!
If you watch Taylor, B to C is more of a line than an arc. The hand moves more or less straight toward the target, and as it does, A to B definitely moves -- the elbow lifts, because it has to. Just food for thought.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

And thus the marginal confusionGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. If you watch videos of the various pro's it appears as if the shoulder and elbow stay completely still until the dart is released. There are several good videos if you Google Barneveld throw or whomever. Barney's and Gary Anderson appear to be keeping the shoulder to elbow completely still until the dart is released and then the elbow moves up with the follow through. However, as you state Taylor's throw appears to be different in that he appears to "shove" the dart along on a flat or straight line parallel with the floor. Obviously no right answer, personal preference again comes around. I see some similarities in Peter Wrights throw compared to mine but unfortunately my results are no where near what he can do. Just trying to see if there is a "standard" setup. Thanks for the input, will continue to fiddle with my setup accordingly.
Unicorn Phase 3 24gr
Unicorn Keegan Brown 22g

Winmau Blade 5

That Uniboffin article is sort of what I am looking for. The green line answers the question. Never really been in the area of Unicorn web page. Appears to be lots of neat stuff in there. Now to start working on better implementing and refining the no arm movement throwGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Thanks again all!!!
Unicorn Phase 3 24gr
Unicorn Keegan Brown 22g

Winmau Blade 5

(04-27-2015, 06:37 PM)AD18 Wrote: That Uniboffin article is sort of what I am looking for. The green line answers the question. Never really been in the area of Unicorn web page. Appears to be lots of neat stuff in there. Now to start working on better implementing and refining the no arm movement throwGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Thanks again all!!!

This article?:
https://www.unicorn-darts.com/news/2013/...heory.aspx
(04-27-2015, 10:12 PM)Dmott Wrote:
(04-27-2015, 06:37 PM)AD18 Wrote: That Uniboffin article is sort of what I am looking for. The green line answers the question. Never really been in the area of Unicorn web page. Appears to be lots of neat stuff in there. Now to start working on better implementing and refining the no arm movement throwGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Thanks again all!!!

This article?:

Yes, especially the pictures. I fiddled around tonight and I'm not keeping elbow stationary as best I can tell. I'll figure it out.
Unicorn Phase 3 24gr
Unicorn Keegan Brown 22g

Winmau Blade 5

(04-27-2015, 10:12 PM)Dmott Wrote:

This article?:

I found this article very helpful. I, too, have been struggling with way too much wrist rotation early -- flings darts way right or can push them way left depending. The string image (and maybe I'll rig it up tomorrow) is really good. The idea of pushing straight appeals to me and I think will clean up my throw. I've been too much into the "parabolic curve" thinking and it's all arc's and tangents.

See what I mean!
(04-27-2015, 04:49 PM)Dmott Wrote: I think it was a Uniboffin article I read once, but he was saying movement of the elbow during the throw is not a bad thing. Your elbow should be coming up as you throw. If you didn't bring your elbow up, you would have to let go of the dart sooner, which in theory would be less accurate like a short vs long barrel on a gun.

(04-27-2015, 04:54 PM)brenthahn Wrote: If you watch Taylor, B to C is more of a line than an arc. The hand moves more or less straight toward the target, and as it does, A to B definitely moves -- the elbow lifts, because it has to. Just food for thought.

Elbow lift is something that has been on my mind in terms of my throw for a while, but after reading this I don't think I will worry anymore. Thanks guys Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
=========================================================================================
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

Concentrated on arm position in last nights practice session. By what I could tell I think I am actually dropping my elbow around release time and thus darts hitting low of intended target or at best erratic trying to over compensate. I actually put my left hand under my elbow during a couple of throws and it helped a lot to get the feel of proper setup and movement. I believe this all occurred as a result of trying to throw the dart a little harder to flatten the flight curve as I tried to improve accuracy. I simplified and slowed down throw and results started to get better immediately, not huge, but improved. Build/fix/repair from thereGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Unicorn Phase 3 24gr
Unicorn Keegan Brown 22g

Winmau Blade 5

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about hand/elbow movement Cryxill 6 424 01-16-2019, 10:04 PM
Last Post: bkbum