Harrows Darts.

Trying to use straight barrels, is it ok to draw back like this?
Hey people, I got some Van de Voorts today as I want to try and learn with some straight barrels, due to them being thinner.

I've had a hour or so practice with them, and find that my drawback is different. Where the dart is slightly longer(I made it this way, flys the best with inbetween stems and regular flights) I have to draw back downwards toward my chin, then arc upwards into my field of vision where I release. I can get fairly good groupings like this, and am happy as I couldn't get on with straight barrels before.

This is the only way I can make a straight barrel land where I want, I think its OK but want to see what you guys think.

Here is a video, to show what I mean:

Thanks in advance, Conan.
Started playing darts: Mid February 2015.

Darts used: Not having played for a long while, I am leaning towards my 23 gram eagles. 

180's:18 Since I started Mid February 2015. I stopped playing for a long period due to stupidity. Back to the learning process again, but am enjoying it. 
Haven't watched the video, but if they are going roughly where you want them to go and if it feels natural then it doesn't matter what the throw looks like in my opinion.
Took the words right out my mouth mc1958. Watch the throwing action of some of the pros and you will see so many different styles of take back and release it isn't funny. The common thread in most of them is having a solid base and as little external movement other than the throwing action.

So, if I works, don't mess with it.
There are so many different ways to throw a dart. It seems my arm decides on its own that it wants to try something different every time I throw. I am not someone who can tell you what to do.

But, I too have the same struggle. Do I maintain the darts attitude on a direct line to the target? Or do I allow it to arc back, and point upward on my back swing? I find I bounce back and forth having success and failure with both.

(04-20-2015, 01:47 PM)mc1958 Wrote: Haven't watched the video, but if they are going roughly where you want them to go and if it feels natural then it doesn't matter what the throw looks like in my opinion.

(04-20-2015, 01:57 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote: Took the words right out my mouth mc1958. Watch the throwing action of some of the pros and you will see so many different styles of take back and release it isn't funny. The common thread in most of them is having a solid base and as little external movement other than the throwing action.

So, if I works, don't mess with it.

These guys got it. Now if I can just get my arm to decide…
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...

Fair enough. I'm pretty happy then Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.. Just tried some ultra short stems, I liked the way the dart flew, but it always landed about an inch or 2 below where I wanted it too Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images..

Darts used: Not having played for a long while, I am leaning towards my 23 gram eagles. 

180's:18 Since I started Mid February 2015. I stopped playing for a long period due to stupidity. Back to the learning process again, but am enjoying it. 
You would throw them exactly as you would your fat darts. And don't worry about them landing an inch or 2 below where you want them to go. That's called being new at darts. If we could all get them to go where we want we'd be professionals. This is an extremely hard sport/activity to be good at.
Do what feels comfortable,there is no right or wrong way Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Good advice from the guys IMO. Throw looks good too.
(04-20-2015, 06:27 PM)*Saber* Wrote: Good advice from the guys IMO. Throw looks good too.

Thanks mate. And Cy I meant in relation to my fat darts, if I throw them the same they land lower on the board by about 2 inches. And I can tell its hard, I want to get as good as I possibly can though.

I'l keep practicing hard Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images..

Do what feels good to you....worst thing you can is try and shoot like someone else!!
(04-20-2015, 11:15 PM)McInnis180 Wrote: Do what feels good to you....worst thing you can is try and shoot like someone else!!

Yeah I have been told this by a few people, best thing is what feels natural too me. The fatter barrels do feel more natural, but I want a thinner dart due to more space in the trebles, or I'm not sure wether I shouldn't be too bothered about that as a beginner and just use what is most comfortable?

(04-20-2015, 11:22 PM)conanthewarrior Wrote: Yeah I have been told this by a few people, best thing is what feels natural too me. The fatter barrels do feel more natural, but I want a thinner dart due to more space in the trebles, or I'm not sure wether I shouldn't be too bothered about that as a beginner and just use what is most comfortable?

There are many threads here on Dartsnutz with all sorts of advice. Some advice for beginners and some for more advanced levels. Don't concern yourself with what others think about dart sizes or weights. Just do whatever feels best for you. If you like fatter barrels go for it. Darts is an extremely individual sport. What works for one person most likely won't work for another.
(04-20-2015, 11:27 PM)Cyanide Wrote:
(04-20-2015, 11:22 PM)conanthewarrior Wrote: Yeah I have been told this by a few people, best thing is what feels natural too me. The fatter barrels do feel more natural, but I want a thinner dart due to more space in the trebles, or I'm not sure wether I shouldn't be too bothered about that as a beginner and just use what is most comfortable?

There are many threads here on Dartsnutz with all sorts of advice. Some advice for beginners and some for more advanced levels. Don't concern yourself with what others think about dart sizes or weights. Just do whatever feels best for you. If you like fatter barrels go for it. Darts is an extremely individual sport. What works for one person most likely won't work for another.

I think I am over analysing and thinking, just the type of person I am really. I will stick with the thinner darts for a good few weeks though to see if I can grow to like them, if not back to the fatter darts.

Either way, I don't mind adding them to the collection straight or fat lol.

I've always used a straight barrel and 28mm Jocky Wilson stems. I've increased the size now using the Harrows Supergrip short stems. Longer I think by a few mm.

I have 2 different darts in my case that I will alternate between for the barrel thickness and length. Same weight.

As others have said. Find what works for you. Always good to experiment with all the variables (flights, stems etc etc)
Gary Anderson 2015 Phase 3 - 23g
2015 180's -133
2016 180s - 23/150
Best leg 11 Darts : 140 - 180 - 121 - S20 D20 (136.63 avg)
Best peg - 134 (T20-T18-D10)
Well I'm actually doing pretty well with the straights. So good in fact I am using them as my main dart for a bit longer. Still great with the Phase 5's, but I want the extra grip at the back like the eagles, so I have a set of them coming in 26 gram, when they come I'l use them as my main dart most probably.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pull Back/Take back advice RedHat180 3 102 06-03-2021, 01:27 PM
Last Post: Pidge
  how do you stand up straight? thet 10 517 01-13-2021, 02:54 PM
Last Post: Pidge
  Staying focused and straight Ed180 6 602 12-13-2020, 05:32 AM
Last Post: thet
  elbow drop on draw/pull back Fergus 4 387 07-26-2020, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Fergus
  Keeping straight on tops Ed180 13 469 07-20-2020, 03:33 PM
Last Post: samsimilian