Unicorn

advantages/disadvantages
hi any known advantages/disadvantages to a tapered dart?

kind regards venom
With a tapered dart the weight balance will often be more pronounced than a straight barrel. Most tapered darts start larger and go smaller so that makes them a bit front weighted. That also leads to a larger frontal area that gives a higher chance for deflections when trying to fit 3 darts in a small space.

Only issues I've had with tapered darts is during my release. Since the key to a clean release is to have the dart leave your fingers at the exact same time, sometimes I found tapered darts would hang/catch on a finger during release. My thumb/pointer finger would release the dart but there would be a tiny window where the dart has completely released from the rear sections of your fingers but still touching the front portion. I developed a much cleaner/more consistent release after switching to a straight barrel.

It may sound ridiculous but I could immediately feel the dart just slightly catching a finger on release and knew the dart would pull left/right.
(04-13-2015, 11:33 AM)Regulatori Wrote: With a tapered dart the weight balance will often be more pronounced than a straight barrel. Most tapered darts start larger and go smaller so that makes them a bit front weighted. That also leads to a larger frontal area that gives a higher chance for deflections when trying to fit 3 darts in a small space.

Only issues I've had with tapered darts is during my release. Since the key to a clean release is to have the dart leave your fingers at the exact same time, sometimes I found tapered darts would hang/catch on a finger during release. My thumb/pointer finger would release the dart but there would be a tiny window where the dart has completely released from the rear sections of your fingers but still touching the front portion. I developed a much cleaner/more consistent release after switching to a straight barrel.

It may sound ridiculous but I could immediately feel the dart just slightly catching a finger on release and knew the dart would pull left/right.

ok thanks for that info I sort of get what your saying. kind regards venom
the key to a clean release is to have the dart leave your fingers at the exact same time,

What a fantastic point - I wonder if having different grip styles on different sections on a dart would seriously hinder having each finger releaseĀ at the same time

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Question of Grip Advantages w0nkavisi0n 5 1,095 01-25-2018, 11:08 PM
Last Post: Mortal ankle