Cuesoul

Number Of Darts To Play 301
Well now, I practice pretty much every day in some shape or form. Usually play 301 by myself with double in, double out. Play 5 games with double in on top, both sides, bottom, and Bull (single or double) to start game. Usually gauge my progress by how many "rounds" it takes to play a game. Numbers always made me feel good. However, today decided to count the actual number of darts it took me to play/finish a game. Numbers consisted of scoring darts to get in, count down darts, busts, and double out darts. The numbers don't lie. Killers were the busts and missed double darts. They were rather shocking to the system and revealed I got a lot more practice to be proud of my game. Best game was 15 darts, worst was 45. I think this is a very good indicator of your skill level, consistency, and where your weakness' are. If you have never tried this before beware, it can get scary quickGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Why do you change up your double-in number? You only need to be good at one.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

In America leagues rarely keep track of points per dart average. It's my opinion that quite a few people think their average is a lot higher than it really is. If you can average low 70's you're going to place well in a few tourney's. Once you start getting into the upper 70's you'll do extremely well. Look at Jim Widmayer. Everything I've seen online indicates he's an upper 70's player which is awesome and gets him invites to the BDO World Championships.

Point is, as you said, once you start tracking your true average it can be quite shocking.
I play lots of 301 on my own straight in double out. I'm not happy til I hit a nine dart out which can take a while some days
Board - Gladiator 2 

Darts - Unicorn Aiden Kirk 22g

Best Leg 12 darts at last! 29/12/2017
Best Checkout 164

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(04-11-2015, 09:41 PM)brenthahn Wrote: Why do you change up your double-in number? You only need to be good at one.

I use my double ins as a practice for my double outs so to speak. If I have time and play more games I will add the 45 degree doubles, 15-2, 16-8, etc to incorporate them as well. It affects my scoring initially, but I think it helps more in the end.
Sorry I shouldn't laugh but it has made me chuckle coz I went through the same thing a short while ago.

I really felt I had improved dramatically and in my head those ton visits were flying in and I convinced myself I MUST be hitting a 70-80 3dav, easily. (I realise now how good you need to be to hit those kind of averages.. that's why I laugh at my earlier naivety)

Then I started logging my actual darts....

Shhhhheeeeeeezzzzzzzzee was I wrong!  My first 100@20 I didn't hit a single treble and missed the bed completely with near 60 odd darts! Lol

Talk about an Eye-opener! Disappointed was not the word!

Had a bash at 501 and surprised myself by reaching an out shot in only 20 darts... I forget how many more it took to hit double but I'm pretty sure i gave up before it landed..

Spent the following week playing lots of fin50 games after that lesson.

Now my actual 3dav is something like 48/49 I think* i haven't checked or logged much lately, 2 new sets of darts has seen me doing more "playing" and less practicing as it were...

But anyways, Yes totally agree. Averages can indeed surprise!

Cheers gaz
(04-11-2015, 10:40 PM)AD18 Wrote:
(04-11-2015, 09:41 PM)brenthahn Wrote: Why do you change up your double-in number?  You only need to be good at one.

I use my double ins as a practice for my double outs so to speak.  If I have time and play more games I will add the 45 degree doubles, 15-2, 16-8, etc to incorporate them as well.  It affects my scoring initially, but I think it helps more in the end.

I do this too. 

A staple drill (which I should get to playing more) is 301 DIDO in 24/27 darts or less (including darts needed to get in), race to 10. I'd alternate between having 27 and 24 darts for that added "pressure".  Also I'd  use one of my 20-sided dice to nominate a random double on which to start and have to hit it.

Every so often I just keep throwing until I finish the leg, and you're right, the #s can be downright scary..... Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(03-19-2018, 03:41 AM)wongerchi Wrote:
(04-11-2015, 10:40 PM)AD18 Wrote:
(04-11-2015, 09:41 PM)brenthahn Wrote: Why do you change up your double-in number?  You only need to be good at one.

I use my double ins as a practice for my double outs so to speak.  If I have time and play more games I will add the 45 degree doubles, 15-2, 16-8, etc to incorporate them as well.  It affects my scoring initially, but I think it helps more in the end.

I do this too. 

A staple drill (which I should get to playing more) is 301 DIDO in 24/27 darts or less (including darts needed to get in), race to 10. I'd alternate between having 27 and 24 darts for that added "pressure".  Also I'd  use one of my 20-sided dice to nominate a random double on which to start and have to hit it.

Every so often I just keep throwing until I finish the leg, and you're right, the #s can be downright scary..... Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Have a similar routine in concept, except you have 3 darts to start, then 6 to advance your score.  Usually play first to five - counting any failure as a loss.  Sometimes those sets are pretty short, but not for the right reason  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
all that's sounds good especially keeping track of the true dart count, when I visit my son in Colorado we usually tune up by having to put three in each double in sequence then do the same w/the trebles, but have never thought to tabulate actual throws. that will now change. the thought that it will be quite the eye opener and take much steam out of whom ever finishes first, a dose of reality if you will, will be somewhat sobering. but that's a good thing. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I've done the random double in for change of scenery as well. Using dice stirs it up some more more. Oh no, snake eyesGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I saw this thread and decided to have a go at 301 and figure out my average. Only been playing for about 3 months so be kind lol. I played 6 games and my results double in and double out were:
22 darts
35 (I know)
I know this is a relatively small sample, but I have to start somewhere. By my calculations, that is a 3 dart average of 41.045. I calculated total score over the entire 6 games of 1806 divided by the total darts thrown and multiplied the result by 3 to get a 3 dart average. Is this the correct way to calculate this or am i way off?
Thanks for any input
301 DIDO, there is only one way to go.....

D16, T20, T13

T20, T20, Bull!

(I have never hit it, but have wired the bull on a couple of occasions.)
Back playing and having fun!

2018:-   180`s:-6 Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. ,   High Finish:-141 (T20, T19, D12)  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(03-20-2018, 12:13 AM)Gotanypop Wrote: I saw this thread and decided to have a go at 301 and figure out my average.  Only been playing for about 3 months so be kind lol. I played 6 games and my results double in and double out were:
22 darts
35 (I know)
I know this is a relatively small sample, but I have to start somewhere. By my calculations, that is a 3 dart average of  41.045.  I calculated total score over the entire 6 games of 1806 divided by the total darts thrown and multiplied the result by 3 to get a 3 dart average. Is this the correct way to calculate this or am i way off?
Thanks for any input

Yes, you averagily needed 22 darts per leg. And 301 in 22 darts means 41.045 average. If you use some apps or programs like n01 (download it for free from nakka.com) it'll count all stats for you.
(03-20-2018, 12:27 AM)F4tboy Wrote: 301 DIDO, there is only one way to go.....

D16, T20, T13

T20, T20, Bull!

I am going to play our annual 301 DIDO tournament the other weekend and this is my way too :-) I think I've never got it to the bull yet. My best for 301 is six darts though (180, 121).

It reminds my old thread here...
https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=24308
(03-20-2018, 12:27 AM)F4tboy Wrote: 301 DIDO, there is only one way to go.....

D16, T20, T13

T20, T20, Bull!

I went this route a few times and my best was the same, wired the Bull. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  magical number randomizers Davey Jones 2 237 11-24-2021, 08:50 PM
Last Post: KyleStubbs
  Practice every number and section on the board *Saber* 17 5,287 03-13-2017, 02:48 AM
Last Post: anzuanzuanzu
  Big number practice barcrusher 22 2,367 11-23-2016, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Weirhere