Darts Buddy

Dart Length Preference
Between different barrel length and shaft length combinations, different darts I’ve tried have run total lengths of 5” to 6” (127mm to 152.4mm), so the longer ones have been 20% longer than the short ones. The longer ones have different handling and flight characteristics and they pose different kinds of problems when you’ve got one or two already in the board and one or two still left to shoot at a target that may be getting partially blocked out.

Just out of curiosity... Do steel-tip dart shooters have any general preference regarding shorter vs. longer darts, or is that another of those individual preference things that’s a purely individual taste thing?
I think overall it is all personal preference. I prefer a shorter dart and a shorter set up overall.
Definitely personal preference I would think. I always set my darts up so they are always the same length give or take a couple of mm. If I use a 50mm barrel then I offset that with a shorter shaft. Switch to a shorter barrel such as the phase 5 then I generally use a medium stem.
2017 180 count - 3
Board - Blade 4
Darts - Unicorn Hamilton 23g with storm points
Oche - Duct Tape
Yes personal preference trumps all. But.... I do reckon there is a case to be made, that most Steelies I see people using will be at a measurable average length. Or at least in a 2/3mm tolerance zone in the common average length used. This I'd wager this average length to be 48/51mm.
I've found I prefer a shorter dart, under 45MM barrel size. Anything longer than this seems to travel strangely through the air for me, and it feels more comfortable. I know the shorter darts are slightly fatter for the same weight, but I feel the comfort/accuracy outweighs this.
Absolutely personal preference.
I have always been a big fan of short bomber types of darts,,and yes for the most part they all end up being very close to the same length by using various dart stems,,,,But just recently I bought a set of Shot soft tip darts and the barrels are 52mm long and only 5.9mm thick,,,Talk about a big change,,,I am actually starting to get along with them ,,,I am using the Shot Side winder short side loading stems on them and a set of thin 75 micron flights,,,using the Lip Point Carbon conversion points on them for Practice on my steel tip board,,,,,,still very close to the same length,,,,

On the left Shot 902,,on the right Target Apollo Silica,,,

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(04-12-2015, 05:30 AM)0ldjoblo Wrote: I have always been a big fan of short bomber types of darts,,and yes for the most part they all end up being very close to the same length by using various dart stems,,,,But just recently I bought a set of Shot soft tip darts and the barrels are 52mm long and only 5.9mm thick,,,Talk about a big change,,,I am actually starting to get along with them ,,,I am using the Shot Side winder  short side loading stems on them and a set of thin 75 micron flights,,,using the Lip Point Carbon conversion points on them for Practice on my steel tip board,,,,,,still very close to the same length,,,,

On the left Shot 902,,on the right Target Apollo Silica,,,

[Image: https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f245/...yin18i.jpg]So the one on the right seems to be more 'Tip Heavy'.  I am pretty new at darts and have a bristle Winmau Blade 5 board. My darts are like the one on the left and seem to wobble a little when thrown. I was wondering about those Bomber Style Darts. Do you think they would fix that issue?
It really is personal preference Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. ,,, since I posted about those darts over 2 years ago I have bought like 75 sets of darts,,,,,I am currently using a set of Target Precision Steel tips that have been modified for soft tip,,,,,,about 36mm long and 7.35mm diameter ,,,,,, I have found what works for me is 40mm and under for the length,,,,and no less than 7mm diameter,,, Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Yeah, personal preference. I use to always throw shorter darts. But as I've gotten older I prefer longer barrels. I think my hands have gotten bigger and they just seem more comfortable to me.
Darts: 23 gram Shot! Silver Surfer
Flights: LStyle Small Standard Pro
Shafts: LStyle carbon 260 - Gomu
Not a personal preference at all for me.

It depends almost purely on the design of the darts, it's balance, where the cuts are and where I need to place my grip, where and what I can modify, then a calculation of how it might fit my hands (eye-balling guess work LOL! OK, visual comparison of darts of similar length and designs that works for me).
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
My personal length preference is down to my favorite shape, not sure what the shape is actually called. Some call it bomb shaped others torpedo.
I talk about RvB Phase 5 or Manley darts.

These darts are normally below 50mm, which is a length i am very happy with, my grips fits to it and all.

But it's n ot like I can't throw longer darts, but it's a more difficult subject with them.

While I can throw most darts in my favorite shape quite well, when talking about longer straight darts it's really difficult. I think with longer darts there are more different balance points, so it'S really down to each barrel, if I can throw them or not, nothing to do with a certain length.

I had a lot of fun with the Cosmo Royden Lam's lately, a dart I should not be able to throw well, because it's long and thin, but they fly well for me and that's it.

Winmau - Andy Fordham SE

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Barrel length Andries Van Boxlaer 11 4,254 11-30-2017, 06:18 AM
Last Post: Berlin180