Double Top Darts.

Handling Personalities
What works for you when playing against darters who have large personalities and whine and complain to you, the person they are currently playing OR the watching crowd whenever their game incurs a dip.

It infuriates me to have to listen to my opponent lament right before I toe the Oche. It's like I should feel sorry for him for having a lull like every other person who doesn't walk on water or turn water into wine.

I wanna tell him to stop being an butt crust or something BUT I know that saying it would upset me even more. Maybe I should bring ear plugs and when he does his complaining ... I will simply place then in my ears and smile.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Darts: 22g Rebel One80 / 22g John Part Golden Hero
Stems: Harrow Magnetic Mediums
Flights: Combat
Board: Blade 4
Board Light: Circumluminator

Highest checkout: 167
Favorite checkout: 125 (50-25-50)
Fave players: Anderson, Wright, Part
Fave double: D16
Fave double in: D20
Best Game: 9 Dart 501

Best Darting Moments: playing John Part at an Exhibition / Being in attendance at World Grand Prix in Dublin 2014
I generally nod, agree, smile, play my match and then after the game ask 'what were you saying?'.

Generally works as they probably think 'ignorant sod' - and wont bother moaning to you again Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I must admit, the more seasons I have played, the more I get to know other players, good and bad, and I really look forward to having a chat or a laugh with most of them, as much as actually playing darts - the moaners and big heads generally dont bother with me anymore except to say 'hello'.

I go out to enjoy myself, darts is a bonus and so having some whinger ruin me nights is a big no-no Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I just smile and keep on chucking me arrows.
I used to hate it when my opponent would be whining about how poorly they were playing to anyone that would listen to the point where my own enjoyment would suffer, then I did this; I turned to the opponent in question and calmly said - we've all been there mate but at least I might get my first win tonight!
It shut him up completely as he tried unsuccessfully to find some form with steam coming from his ears and I just smiled inwardly and smashed him into the ground.
No screaming or shouting just a re-direction of weak tactics and gamesmanship
Current Board 
Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore black flights, Mission black points and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
(04-07-2015, 07:18 PM)ChrisTheFish Wrote: I used to hate it when my opponent would be whining about how poorly they were playing to anyone that would listen to the point where my own enjoyment would suffer, then I did this; I turned to the opponent in question and calmly said - we've all been there mate but at least I might get my first win tonight!
It shut him up completely as he tried unsuccessfully to find some form with steam coming from his ears and I just smiled inwardly and smashed him into the ground.
I like ya style.
I just ask them politely, "Would you like a little cheese with that whine?" and leave it at that.
I don't confront them while playing, but I make sure that the crowd is aware of what's happening.

I'm glad to have some buddies around to help me out in this kind of situation. And when my friends play and there's an "a-hole" around, I do the same thing. Talk to them politely on the side or seek the help of the league organizer while your friend is throwing. Sometimes it's our lady friend who we tag on the side to handle matters. They (lady allies) are the best secret weapons!

So, it's a little bit of role-playing and team approach thing. So far everything was settled/handled peacefully.
(04-07-2015, 06:55 PM)REBEL Wrote: I generally nod, agree, smile, play my match and then after the game ask 'what were you saying?'.

Generally works as they probably think 'ignorant sod' - and wont bother moaning to you again Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I must admit, the more seasons I have played, the more I get to know other players, good and bad, and I really look forward to having a chat or a laugh with most of them, as much as actually playing darts - the moaners and big heads generally dont bother with me anymore except to say 'hello'.

I go out to enjoy myself, darts is a bonus and so having some whinger ruin me nights is a big no-no Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I like the smiling part and pretending ignorance ... Should I remind him that his release point is out of whack? or something to get him thinking mechanically about his form.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Best Darting Moments: playing John Part at an Exhibition / Being in attendance at World Grand Prix in Dublin 2014
(04-07-2015, 06:55 PM)REBEL Wrote: I generally nod, agree, smile, play my match and then after the game ask 'what were you saying?'.

Except I am afraid he will actually tell me !!!!

(04-07-2015, 07:11 PM)*Saber* Wrote: I just smile and keep on chucking me arrows.

That seems soooo civilized !!

(04-07-2015, 07:18 PM)ChrisTheFish Wrote: I used to hate it when my opponent would be whining about how poorly they were playing to anyone that would listen to the point where my own enjoyment would suffer, then I did this; I turned to the opponent in question and calmly said - we've all been there mate but at least I might get my first win tonight!

I am afraid I would get too sarcastic ... I wish I could just shut his mouth with my darts .. mmm .. I mean dart scores!!

(04-07-2015, 08:00 PM)majeek Wrote: I don't confront them while playing, but I make sure that the crowd is aware of what's happening.

I'm glad to have some buddies around to help me out in this kind of situation. And when my friends play and there's an "a-hole" around, I do the same thing. Talk to them politely on the side or seek the help of the league organizer while your friend is throwing. Sometimes it's our lady friend who we tag on the side to handle matters. They (lady allies) are the best secret weapons!

So, it's a little bit of role-playing and team approach thing. So far everything was settled/handled peacefully.

Can you explain more ... I think I like this one. How can your allies come to your aid?

It's actually a common understanding among the friends/community whom you play with. Each one knows who's who. Even without the briefing they know the role they have to take if someone is getting annoyed by the behaviour of others.

Just be friendly and try to establish a relationship with your dart buddies and everything will fall into place. It's like a brotherhood. It's nice to have them around when you go out and compete in a bigger league with players coming from different places.
(04-08-2015, 03:34 PM)Grey Owl Wrote:

I like the smiling part and pretending ignorance ... Should I remind him that his release point is out of whack? or something to get him thinking mechanically about his form.

That would work Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

There are many little 'tricks' that the old timers try, I have seen them rocking on the floorboard in front of the oche stating 'the floorboard is loose/ creaking' knowing full well it isnt but it makes you check before you throw and thus puts you off a little.

I have seen a member of the other team ring another member so his phone goes off as I am throwing - even had one bloke in his 70's say to me 'is the board light flickering or uis it just me' - of course I looked and took me a couple of throws for me eyes to re-adjust!

Worst one IMO is the Phil Taylor 'drop your guts' just as they are setting off to retrieve their darts - the stench will just be about mouth/nose height as you are about to throw your first dart :badsmell:
Think that one almost finished Alex Roy.

Then of course there is the deliberate clinking of glasses, coughing, moving stools - all little trick to put you off -took me about 2 full season to block most of that stuff out so I can concentrate just on me darts.

The odd time it will still get you, but a smile in their general direction and taking a second to re-position yourself will normally state loud and clear 'I know your game' Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Don't know what kind of leagues you guys play in but in all my years of playing [40+] i've never had any problems like this !...J.D.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice: Handling Drunks, Cheats and Poor Sportmanship Grey Owl 29 6,161 06-06-2016, 02:56 AM
Last Post: *Saber*
  Advice: Part II ... Handling Cheats, Drunks & Poor Sportmanship Grey Owl 6 1,884 02-06-2015, 02:54 PM
Last Post: Getagrip