Darts Buddy

mc1958 collection
(02-23-2021, 01:46 AM)geoffox23 Wrote: @mc1958.  This wonderful old thread has allowed me to identify one in my collection.

The TEX in 32g, and like yours the point fits into the stem. (Flights have TEX FLIGHT MADE IN ENGLAND cast into the plastic wings)

[Image: https://i.imgur.com/s1TAXaH.jpg]

These have the largest diameter stems I have ever seem. Are yours a similar size?

The thread is probably an Imperial size, but I don't have a way to check.

Great collection. 

Cheers, Geoff

Sorry I don't know what size the thread is - it's not the old 1/4 though
Nice collection you have there, has it grown much since ?
Usual set up :- 23 gram, darts clearance (no name scalloped darts) with a 50 mm barrel, 41 mm nylon shafts + standard flights.

Trying out, red dragon 24g hell fire b with kite flights + 41 mm nylon stems (flying well, debating on sticking with these).

Various random, other darts, on my rotation, from 20 to 24 grams.
As this was from 6 years ago yes, it has grown a bit since this thread.

I'm actually intending to make a new thread for my collection shortly with links to various themed albums (eg an album for my Target sets, another for my Quantum sets, etc) on the myalbum site. This will save any pages on here from loading slowly for anyone due to numerous picture attachments.

I won't be including all the vintage sets though, just some of my favourites, and most likely not all the tungsten sets either if they were bought barrels only (although some barrels only will make the cut) - the albums will include most of my collection though.

I've made a start and got a couple of albums set up so far, but hopefully I can get a few more made up before I post this new thread. I'll then just update the thread with new albums and updates as I go along.
Excellent collection. Some interesting stuff.
I notice your brass darts all look nice and clean.
Any hints/tips for cleaning brass darts, without using brasso/duraglit or any other polishes.
I got a few sets I’d like to clean up. Some of them have green and black in the grooves but I enjoy having a Chuck with them from time to time so that’s why I don’t want to use polishes as I’ve heard it puts a bit of a sheen/shiny/slippy coating almost on them.
Would appreciate any help?
(02-23-2021, 10:15 PM)mc1958 Wrote: As this was from 6 years ago yes, it has grown a bit since this thread.

I'm actually intending to make a new thread for my collection shortly with links to various themed albums (eg an album for my Target sets, another for my Quantum sets, etc) on the myalbum site. This will save any pages on here from loading slowly for anyone due to numerous picture attachments.

I won't be including all the vintage sets though, just some of my favourites, and most likely not all the tungsten sets either if they were bought barrels only (although some barrels only will make the cut) - the albums will include most of my collection though.

I've made a start and got a couple of albums set up so far, but hopefully I can get a few more made up before I post this new thread. I'll then just update the thread with new albums and updates as I go along.

Excellent.

I suspected it might have grown a bit bigger by now  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I noticed this thread pop up the other day in a link about ufo s (i always read ufo posts, when i see them).

I bet you could almost open a dart museum by now  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  and bet it will be a great post.

Looking forward to seeing it.
Usual set up :- 23 gram, darts clearance (no name scalloped darts) with a 50 mm barrel, 41 mm nylon shafts + standard flights.

Trying out, red dragon 24g hell fire b with kite flights + 41 mm nylon stems (flying well, debating on sticking with these).

Various random, other darts, on my rotation, from 20 to 24 grams.
(02-23-2021, 01:46 AM)geoffox23 Wrote: @mc1958.  This wonderful old thread has allowed me to identify one in my collection.

The TEX in 32g, and like yours the point fits into the stem. (Flights have TEX FLIGHT MADE IN ENGLAND cast into the plastic wings)

These have the largest diameter stems I have ever seem. Are yours a similar size?

Great collection. 

Cheers, Geoff

I also have a set of these TEX darts, which I identified from this thread. Mine are 28g and have the same large diameter stems. 
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I think I may have found an answer about what thread size they are. I was looking at the 50’s Unicorn books of darts for notjimpikes post about Unicorn shamrock darts. Having never heard of those I wanted to check them out. I notice in the 1959 it shows feather flight stems in 9/32 whitworth, which is larger than 1/4 BSF. I measured the end of my stem and counted the threads. Seems to me they could most likely be 9/32 whit. but I have no way to check.

Darts: Custom Made Darts 20g
Backup Darts: Unicorn T90 20g from mid 80’S
Shafts: Supergrip Carbon medium
Flights: Harrows Marathon Shape

2020 180’s - 15
2021 180’s - 3
The Highest Checkout: 154
Best 501 Leg: 14 Darts
Here the page for the Unicorn book showing the 9/32 whit feather flights at the bottom. 

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

2020 180’s - 15
2021 180’s - 3
(02-25-2021, 05:26 PM)JerseyJon Wrote:

Great collection. 

Cheers, Geoff

I also have a set of these TEX darts, which I identified from this thread. Mine are 28g and have the same large diameter stems. 
[Image: https://i.imgur.com/Z0ntMVP.jpg]

I think I may have found an answer about what thread size they are. I was looking at the 50’s Unicorn books of darts for notjimpikes post about Unicorn shamrock darts. Having never heard of those I wanted to check them out. I notice in the 1959 it shows feather flight stems in 9/32 whitworth, which is larger than 1/4 BSF. I measured the end of my stem and counted the threads. Seems to me they could most likely be 9/32 whit. but I have no way to check.

Thank you Jon, I do believe this is correct. +1
(02-25-2021, 09:04 PM)geoffox23 Wrote:
(02-25-2021, 05:26 PM)JerseyJon Wrote:

Great collection. 

Cheers, Geoff

[Image: https://i.imgur.com/Z0ntMVP.jpg]

Thank you Jon, I do believe this is correct.  +1

Thanks geoffox for the +1. The old cane stems used to just be pushed into the rear of the barrel. They must have started threading them before or around this time. Kinda like a transition period before wooden canes in that thread size became obsolete. Look how long Unicorn offered the feather flights, I see them up till the 95 book.

2020 180’s - 15
2021 180’s - 3
Threaded stems have been around well before that 1959 book - according to the 1950 book plastic flights were introduced in 1945, and I'm fairly sure their original Silver Comet darts from 1937 used threaded stems as well.