Darts Buddy

stem broke in dart
recently I switched from metal to nylon stems and so far I have had two break off inside the dart. is there a trick to removing the broken piece? the first time it was a dart from a set that I used previously and now only use when my wife is using mine or we have friends over and one of them is using mine. but the second time it was the darts that I actually use for league and tournament play so its kind of a big deal. I don't want to make things worse and ruin the threads on the dart so any help would be appreciated.

I definitely won't be using that particular brand again. out of the 5 sets that I bought (between 3 and 4 weeks ago) I have exactly 9 of them that are still functional. although the other ones were broken when another dart hit it and broke a tine. that's unfortunate for sure, but I guess that's going to happen when a sharp metal object hits it. but breaking off at the thread? is that common with plastic/nylon stems? because I would think that should be the last place you want it to break. if that had happened during league or a tournament I would probably have gotten pretty bent out of shape.

thanks in advance
Insert the tip of another dart and spin. The broken stem will spin right out
As above...

What Brand of Shaft are you getting this breakage with...?

It's not a particularly common occurrence; can be more with Cheap gear...
There are tools you can buy from a number of manufacturers for this very function.
I have one on my keychain .

Match Darts=Target Darryl Fitton,s® 22g

Back ups= Hmmmmm??? ®

And..A few sets of spares .®   Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Cheers,
 Ken 
Carbon shafts!

If you don't have a stem removal tool, which is handy...you heat the tip of a sharp dart and insert it into the broken stem in the barrel...OFF CENTER....so you can turn it, and remove the broken shaft....if you have rubber O rings in there...it's a bit trickier....
thank you guys! I knew I could count on you!

they were unicorn gripper 3. so they are on the cheaper side. I think they were 80 cents or something like that. It was my first time trying nylon so I didn't want to get the cheapest but I didn't want to get the most expensive either. I wasn't too impressed with them honestly. I like the nylon because my metal ones would get a bend in them after a while and I haven't had that issue with nylon. my wife didn't like them at all because her flights kept coming off. but shes not that good has a tendency to use too much wrist sometimes and throw the dart at an angle and if it doesn't stick then it bounces and smacks the board and the flight goes flying. I haven't had any issues with the flights staying on but every 5-10 turns I will turn the dart upside down and lightly tap the table with the flight protector and that seems to help a lot.

I still remember when I first put the new stems on there. at the time I also put new flights on there. after about 5 throws I say to my wife "I cant control these at all....because they are going straight".

im one of those people that wait until something is completely broken before I replace it, even if I have stuff to replace it with simply because im "saving those in case I really need them". im getting better about that. I know this probably belongs in a different place but since im already typing: how often do you guys replace stems/flights? I have been replacing all the flights at once. if I replace one, I replace them all. but I wouldn't have a clue how most other people do it.

thanks a lot guys.
This year I've scene at least 4 Gripper 2's and one Pro Grip Clear stems break .
My Elkadart tool came in handy .

Match Darts=Target Darryl Fitton,s® 22g

Back ups= Hmmmmm??? ®

And..A few sets of spares .®   Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Cheers,
 Ken 
(04-02-2015, 09:02 PM)redhedkev Wrote: Carbon shafts!

If you don't have a stem removal tool, which is handy...you heat the tip of a sharp dart and insert it into the broken stem in the barrel...OFF CENTER....so you can turn it, and remove the broken shaft....if you have rubber O rings in there...it's a bit trickier....

Or you can use a flat blade screwdriver with a blade width that is narrower than the tapped hole heat up end of blade & press into the stem to make like a screw slot let screwdriver cool & unscrew broken part like a wood screw
Soon as I saw the initial post, I was ready to put money on them being Unicorns.

I have nothing but bad luck with Grippers...I swear they're a mixture of plastic and glass.

Buy either Target Pro Grips or any of these cheap nylon stems...
https://www.puredarts.co.uk/deflectagrip...art-stems/
https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/index.php?...34_866_436
https://www.a180.co.uk/section.php/223/1...ylon-stems

I use a mix of Deflectagrips from Puredarts and Designa's from Dartscorner....it's been months since I've broken a stem. Usually I just switch out the stems when I get bored of a color or they become beat up/dirty.
Thanks to all who posted a solution on getting out a broken shaft in the barrel!
These ideas should help if I find myself needing a solution to this problem!
thank you again guys! I had two more break over the weekend Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

just made an order for some pro grips. going to give them a try. so out of 5 sets that I ordered about 2 months ago I am down to exactly 7 stems left.