Unicorn

Throwing too hard?
I recently switched from 24g to 21g and if I throw like I did with 24g the dart goes higher than where I wanted it too but if I put my arm so that its at a 45 degree angle and when I pull the dart back it goes under my chin, it goes roughly around the segment I aimed for.

If I throw like I did with 24g but pull the dart back slow and throw it slower/softer it flies and lands as if I was using 24g darts, is it a bad idea to change how I throw because I'm using different weight darts, and should I just switch back to 24g or shall I get used to the 21g darts because I prefer the barrel on the 21g.

Started playing darts:12/03/15.
Darts I use: Michael Van Gerwen Masterdarts 21g
My Darts Image Gallery: DARTS GALLERY
180's: 2

My Darts:
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thats a tuff one. Changing the way you throw is Major IMO . 3gm isn't much really but I guess it depends on the thrower. I will defer to the other guys on this one. On a note why do you like the barrels better? Because its smaller ? or grip? I use to really be hung up on diameter but to be honest diameter isn't a biggie if you can't place your arrows.
(03-30-2015, 11:50 PM)*Saber* Wrote: Thats a tuff one. Changing the way you throw is Major IMO . 3gm isn't much really but I guess it depends on the thrower. I will defer to the other guys on this one. On a note why do you like the barrels better? Because its smaller ? or grip? I use to really be hung up on diameter but to be honest diameter isn't a biggie if you can't place your arrows.

They have good grip and on the other darts I used after I washed my hands or played after having a shower the darts would feel slippy for couple of hours, even though they're not wet or anything, and the barrel is slimmer the darts I used to use are simon whitlock 24g

My Darts:
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I'm not understanding why you would change your throw. Sounds like a huge no no. Just throw the 24g the same as you would the 21g.
(03-31-2015, 12:09 AM)Cyanide Wrote: I'm not understanding why you would change your throw. Sounds like a huge no no. Just throw the 24g the same as you would the 21g.

I changed my throw because if I throw how I did with 24g the dart doesn't fly properly and I throw to high/ to hard

My Darts:

(03-31-2015, 01:11 AM)MitchWardle Wrote:
(03-31-2015, 12:09 AM)Cyanide Wrote: I'm not understanding why you would change your throw. Sounds like a huge no no. Just throw the 24g the same as you would the 21g.

I changed my throw because if I throw how I did with 24g the dart doesn't fly properly and I throw to high/ to hard

I'm guessing you didn't change stems or flights? And if the dart goes to high, too low, to the left or right... just give it a little bit of time. You can't expect instant results.
Give yourself a chance to adjust,it will happen Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
If you think the older 24 g darts fly better - just stay with them!

I wouldnt change my throw....maybe more like modifiy it to fit the new darts
I agree with Cy on this, keep your throw the same but change your set up. I'm like you, went from 25-26g darts down to 21-23g. Stuck to the same set up and got no results. I swapped the set up, currently on slim flights and the difference is immense. Same throw, but the darts are going where I want them to (within reason anyway Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. )

Change the setup, not the throw!
Which specific models is your 21g and 24g darts? I see you have MVG's in your signature line...are those the 21g's?

Weight isn't always everything...just a balance of a dart can drastically change the flight/how it lands.
If I'm honest, I had to slightly change my throw to what you are describing to use straight barrels, bringing them back under my chin other wise they would land well far below where I was aiming.
This took about 10 minutes to get used to, as it was not a major change(your just extending your drawback really) and was one of the best things I did and got some of the best scores/averages ever in the week I used them.

This has payed off as well to my normal darts, as before I had trouble grouping, but now with this pullback I get great grouping. Remember though, your mileage may vary as it is different for everyone, but if it works for you Id say do it.

And as saber said, if you can't group them in the first place Dont worry about diameter.I was worrying about that, but 2 of my 3 180's have been with thicker darts. Stick to whats comfy for you.
Started playing darts: Mid February 2015.

Darts used: Not having played for a long while, I am leaning towards my 23 gram eagles. 

180's:18 Since I started Mid February 2015. I stopped playing for a long period due to stupidity. Back to the learning process again, but am enjoying it. 
I know two Gs makes a big difference to me. So I can see three messing you up. Here's what I think.

The new lighter dart is flying high. To me that indicates an early release. I would think that some small lack of confidence in the lighter dart is preventing you from following through the way you do with the heavier dart.

I would ask you to QUIT compensating by lobbing ("slower/softer") the dart. You need to ignore your dart flying high and stay committed to following through. The timing of your release will improve as you learn to match the follow through you use with your heavier dart.

Give it a go for a committed while, and if no luck, switch back to the 24g.

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...

Do not severely alter the way you throw.... maybe tweek some thing slight, that slight being your release point... but ever so slight. You're new to throwing Darts, so most things will feel strange and abnormal.... Ultimately just throw the same whether you're throwing 30g or 15g Barrels.

You body's natural equilibrium will adjust it's self with time and practice.
(04-29-2015, 04:08 PM)Dartbuggy Wrote: I know two Gs makes a big difference to me. So I can see three messing you up. Here's what I think.

The new lighter dart is flying high. To me that indicates an early release. I would think that some small lack of confidence in the lighter dart is preventing you from following through the way you do with the heavier dart.

I would ask you to QUIT compensating by lobbing ("slower/softer") the dart. You need to ignore your dart flying high and stay committed to following through. The timing of your release will improve as you learn to match the follow through you use with your heavier dart.

Give it a go for a committed while, and if no luck, switch back to the 24g.

What would you suggest for the opposite happening, darts landing quite a bit lower than normal? If I use fat barrels, It doesn't happen, but when I use straights I have to do exactly what the OP says, and drawback in an arc down below my chin.

I'm not sure if this is a good thing though, as my grouping has improved with this throw :s.
Started playing darts: Mid February 2015.

Darts used: Not having played for a long while, I am leaning towards my 23 gram eagles. 

180's:18 Since I started Mid February 2015. I stopped playing for a long period due to stupidity. Back to the learning process again, but am enjoying it. 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Am I throwing too hard? solan goose 13 4,213 07-04-2014, 05:03 PM
Last Post: *Saber*