Unicorn

Dart Re-Pointer Recommendation
Greetings all,

I am in the market to buy a dart re-pointer. I have used my cousin's previously when back home in Ireland, but have never owned one myself. I don't like having to ask other people to help me out with this and I would like to be able to change points whenever I want.

I have used the handheld Unicorn tool before(wasn't terribly impressed), but I was looking at the Target Multi-pointer because of it's sturdy base and a 70 pound price point didn't seem too bad.

I would really appreciate any advice and recommendations you guys can offer.
Current Tournament Darts: Modified Gary Anderson "Dreamboys" 24g

Other Match Darts:
Gary Anderson Phase 3; RVB Phase 2a; Taylor Phase 5 Rosso; Target Silica Apollo

Favorite Players: Gary Anderson, MVG, Brendan Dolan.

Hometown: Killorglin Co. Kerry Ireland; Boston

CONGRATS GARY ANDERSON 2014/15 NEW WORLD CHAMPION!!!

GARY ANDERSON 2014/2015 PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPION!!!
I use designa Repointer.

https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/product_in...s_id=67409

or if you are loaded, go for this:

https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/product_in...ts_id=4631

I heard/read bad things about the target and unicorn repointer.
MVG Collection: 21g Masterdarts MVG Silver/Black Ring/Gold/Black & 23g Masterdarts MVG Black
Darts Collection: Click to view my darts gallery

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
The Designa repointer is quite bit cheaper and has a long Allen key handle which makes it easy to use. Love mine
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. 
Current Board 
Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore black flights, black 36 mm Mission points points and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
I have the Unitool - I actually quite like it although it does have its flaws.

It won't remove Storm points and the anvil can squash/bend tips on some points if your not careful (particularly Target Diamond) - but never had a problem inserting/ removing any Unicorn points - so I guess as a Unicorn product it works.

Recently won the Designa re-pointer and I would recommend that one 100% - price, ease of use, lack of the above flaws all in its favour. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I have a Unitool too. For removing points, nothing is faster than a Unitool. Just a few hand squeezes and the points drop right out.

The trick with a Unitool is you need a piece of rectangular metal bracket about the same width as the point pressing channel. The square bracket needs a hole so it can sit on top of the barrel and the press can freely move through the hole. That way when you're torquing down on the press handle, the torque is more evenly dispersed and doesn't go directly on the dart point. I used to get tons of little kinks on the end of my tips...now they're clean.

If you have a Unitool, PM me and I'll post pics of what I'm talking about.

The Designa takes longer but it's smaller and does all types of points. The Unitool can't be beat when it comes to speed just as long as you're using non-Storm points. You can give me 3 sets of darts (9) and I can have the points pulled/re-pointed in under 5 min.
I use the Designa and it has given me great results. Simple and easy to use.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I have used my Designa 13 times successfully. It does the job, but it can be a little hard to hold when you really get to work on stubborn points. I have thought about sticking it in the vise, but then I'd have to walk out to the shed.

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...

I agree with Dartbuggy, it can be a bit difficult to put points on, I use a small towel to hold the tool and another towel over the allen wrench.
Darts: A whole buncha McCoy darts, different weights
Currently playing 24g McCoy Max
Board: Brand new Shot! Bandit

I think I read somewhere that target recalled some of the earlier models, but I second the designa repointer. Would recommend 100%. The only Reason I would get one of the more expensive models was if I was repointing multiple sets a day, otherwise the designa repointer will more than work.
Match Darts: 23g MasterDarts Gold MVG's or Gary Anderson phase 3
Highest out 155 (T-19 T-20 D-19) Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
2015 180's Goal Progress: 108/180

The Designa tool (or that mechanism) is the only tool that can do the lot. The Unitool is fast to remove points, and the Bull's tool is fast to put points in. They're great tools but are unable to remove Storm points. The Bull's is really abrasive on the end of your darts when removing points too.

The Designa is the most portable too to take down the pub and charge others for repointing Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Target Re-Pointer.....love it!!!
Thanks to all who have contributed to this discussion...I see that the Designa model seems most popular both for financial and practical reasons.

I do have one concern...I have aggressive rheumatoid arthritis making significant strain from a model like Designa probably near impossible for me to use as it seems like it's very hard to pull the point out. I suppose I should have mentioned this previously, but what would be the best model for the least amount of resistance when struggling to pull the point out. Granted I am aware that all these tools will need a strong hand, but the path of least resistance would be ideal.

Thanks for all the help fellas.
Current Tournament Darts: Modified Gary Anderson "Dreamboys" 24g

Other Match Darts:
Gary Anderson Phase 3; RVB Phase 2a; Taylor Phase 5 Rosso; Target Silica Apollo

Favorite Players: Gary Anderson, MVG, Brendan Dolan.

Hometown: Killorglin Co. Kerry Ireland; Boston

CONGRATS GARY ANDERSON 2014/15 NEW WORLD CHAMPION!!!

GARY ANDERSON 2014/2015 PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPION!!!
I don't own a repointer and have never used one, but the Designa seems to be the only one where you can slip a length of pipe over the handle (the allen wrench) to painlessly amplify the torque. I'd probably pick that one for that reason alone.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

(03-21-2015, 10:58 PM)jarthurw Wrote: Thanks to all who have contributed to this discussion...I see that the Designa model seems most popular both for financial and practical reasons.

I do have one concern...I have aggressive rheumatoid arthritis making significant strain from a model like Designa probably near impossible for me to use as it seems like it's very hard to pull the point out. I suppose I should have mentioned this previously, but what would be the best model for the least amount of resistance when struggling to pull the point out. Granted I am aware that all these tools will need a strong hand, but the path of least resistance would be ideal.

Thanks for all the help fellas.
The Unicorn Unitool is very easy to pull points since it uses a larger swing lever. If you can operate a handheld squeeze type paper hole punch, you can operate a Unitool.

Again, only disadvantage is that it won't pull Storm points.
I agree with Regulatori that the Unitool would be the best.

Another more expensive option could be bolting a Target Multipointer to a bench. It looks to have the same mechanism as the Designa tool.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Down Case recommendation B2B180 14 886 02-29-2020, 05:58 PM
Last Post: B2B180
  Shot re pointer Getagrip 8 1,915 09-20-2017, 09:26 AM
Last Post: Little al
  Dart Board recommendation ? Karldawg 23 3,459 06-30-2017, 08:28 AM
Last Post: Bounce Out