Unicorn

Cosmo Carbon Shafts
Does anybody use these?

Ive listened to a few of the Darts Talk podcast and Steve talks about how they are the greatest innovation in darts. Not the cosmo setup, but the carbon cosmo stem in particular.

Does anybody know why they would have some special advantage? Im guessing they would be similar weight to the plastic, but resistant to any bending (never had a cosmo plastic stem bend anyway) and probably a lot stronger. So is it just a standard pay more upfront to have a longer lasting stem? Or am I missing the reason why Steve loves them so much?
Good question.. I've been flirting with the idea of getting a set of #2 hybrid cardon.

I would imagine that carbon is lighter than plastic slightly? Hopefully somebody has the answers!
Most players use the carbon shafts for cricket. Imo they work better for cricket
(03-04-2015, 06:03 PM)Cyanide Wrote: Most players use the carbon shafts for cricket. Imo they work better for cricket

Wait... What? Why?
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Match Darts: 23g MasterDarts Gold MVG's or Gary Anderson phase 3
Highest out 155 (T-19 T-20 D-19) Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
2015 180's Goal Progress: 108/180

I have a set in size 3 that shipped today from WDS, can give you my thoughts in week or so
Nothing left to do but Smile Smile Smile

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(03-04-2015, 06:11 PM)Quackered1979 Wrote: I have a set in size 3 that shipped today from WDS, can give you my thoughts in week or so
Sounds good friend.

I would think they would perform about the exact same. Carbon itself is probably very light, but the epoxy resin they use to bond it together probably makes it weigh very closely to the standard plastic.

I really do like the looks they give darts though, that matte black. It looks like a high tech workhorse.
I used them for some time and didn't find them to be as wonderful as Steve believes. Some of the problems I encountered were as follows: 1) they are extremely hard, which seemed like a positive until I started throwing them, a close grouping caused my dart to kick off those stems further than I'd ever experienced, 2) they are brittle, a bounce out onto a bar floor that doesn't have a mat is disaster, as they could break, and getting that rigid carbon fiber unthreaded when they break at the barrel is not nearly as easy as nylon, and 3) the price, with those vicious kicks I'd run into a couple bad breaks and the cost to replace them didn't justify them to me. That's probably not an issue for Steve as I'm sure he doesn't pay full price for his. Just my thoughts
Do or do not ... There is no try

Cheers
Derek Jones

Current Setup
21 g Target Carrera C3 barrels, L-Style LShaft 300 Slim shaft, L-Style L-Soft Standard Flights
Cankles, they work better for cricket because you move aim and don't have as many kicks
Do or do not ... There is no try

Cheers
Derek Jones

Current Setup
21 g Target Carrera C3 barrels, L-Style LShaft 300 Slim shaft, L-Style L-Soft Standard Flights
All i could find online about carbon shafts is :light like nylon stems with the strength of aluminum "
If its not broke.....don't fix it!!! save your money!!!!
Why carbon when we are used to plastic. I mean I can understand carbon soft tip to hard conversion points but shafts...
Currently using
Maccho @ Core Darts Japan 17.5grams
Death Sabre LE @ Cosmo Darts Japan 17.5grams
Fire @ Harrows 18 grams (1st soft tip set)
Yeah we all seem to agree. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something major. Ive dropped my darts plenty of times and had a few bounceouts and never broke a stem. Had a few friends break points but none of them broke any stems (besides the tangs or prongs or whatever theyre called).

I would think the carbon just last longer, but I think Ill stay with plastic. The colors are nice too
I guess I am in the minority. I really like them. I have been using them since they were introduced. First, let me say I use slim spinning carbons. As said, they are very stiff, but by using the spinning type I don't have much of a deflection problem. The origional Fit Flights did give or flex a little to the incoming dart but did bend slightly, usually from poor storage in the case. Some of my team just threw their dart in a box filled with old junk parts and the pressure would warp them.
I have not broken one as yet. I have greatly reduced deflection bounce-outs with spinning shaft and Tridents, but they do hit the floor on occasion, get knocked off the table or bounce off old boards with soft round wires. Still I am happy to say, no broken stems.
One thing I like is the flights fit slightly tighter on the carbon shafts. They don't free-spin as easy as the Gear shafts do. They move out of the way of incoming darts quite well though. If you like a slim style shaft that spins a bit, very lightweight and straight, I thank you will be pleased with this set up. If you use fixed, regular style shafts, you may not see the benefits as much, I can't say.
I must say one thing on the cost issue. They are pricy, but you get 4 shafts, not 3, although I haven't quite figured out this marketing deal as yet. I was told by another Cosmo fan that with one backup shaft you should never need another set. I am happy to say I am still using my first set. I do wish they offered sets of just three shaft. Lowering the cost may make it more tempting for some to try them.
Hope this helps some of you to try them.
Boogie
I have had a set of slim size 2 black carbon stems but find myself using the gear ones now. Didn't seem to throw so well with them but admittedly that may be more down to being slim rather than carbon (throw 'normal' gear ones now)
Jugger
I think the weight difference is negligible for carbon vs gear. From Cosmo's weight chart (could only find slim carbon weights to compare) there is not but a .01g or .02g difference across the size range. Carbon being ever so slightly heaver. This was a bit of a surprize. I would not think the hibrids could be any different.
Boogie

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mission Carbon Shafts CantstopDarting 4 403 04-02-2020, 01:31 PM
Last Post: Eddie_Arrow
  Target Carbon Ti Pro Eddie_Arrow 3 341 03-31-2020, 01:31 AM
Last Post: JAMSGOLF
  Carbon shafts Sam coakley 15 1,421 07-17-2019, 04:35 PM
Last Post: jt4527
Star L Style or Cosmo Carbon *Poll* JayKay 22 9,267 02-20-2019, 09:26 PM
Last Post: ME27
  L-Shaft Carbon 260 Lil E 3 589 10-30-2018, 12:32 PM