Darts Buddy

I don't want to sound cheap but...
...Is it me or are darts a much more expensive sport/hobby/passion than it seems?

After 3 month of regular practicing, I'm amazed at the quantity of bent or broken stems, torn flights, broken rings, damaged tips, wear and tear of the target. Whatever the price or materials, the problem remains, actually being worse with aluminium shafts: sure they look pretty, but they bend like crazy!
Not to mention the dents on the barrels but that is something that will only annoy people with a higher level of OCD than I have Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I play on a dedicated area covered with light plywood that absorb any impact. Yet... I suffer a lot of damage.

I was wondering what the community has to say about this.

Thanks for your input,
Fred

DODB: 31/12/14

Have darts, will travel!
(Western Alberta/ Edmonton Area)
What is it that's getting damaged?

Storm points & ProGrip shafts have dramatically increased the lifespan of my equipment. Since I added those two things to my inventory I've stopped chewing up flights & shafts.

Buy stems and flights in bulk if you know what you like to use on your darts full-time. Broken stems are all part of the game whether you robin hood them or they break or bend when hitting the floor from bounce outs and flights getting nicked is a great sign to me since it means you are grouping your darts pretty tight and the incoming darts are striking the ones already in the board.

Or, you could take up golf and see what expensive really is and darts will seem like a poor man's past time.
(03-02-2015, 04:12 AM)OreoGaborio Wrote: What is it that's getting damaged?

Storm points & ProGrip shafts have dramatically increased the lifespan of my equipment. Since I added those two things to my inventory I've stopped chewing up flights & shafts.

Flights and stems.
Tonight, I just had a progrip that broke and was cut flush inside the barrel. Had to doodle really carefully with a dremmel to remove the plastic thread that was stuck inside the barrel!
I have about half a dozen alu shafts that are bent or broken (they like to break where they hold the flight, where they are split in 4). I am totally put off bu the carbon shafts : after less than 50 throws - and I'm NOT havin a heavy throw! - they began to split all the length from the flight to the stem.
Fred

Have darts, will travel!
Cheap? you think this is an expensive hobby/way of life try riding bicycles and having to replace tires that are almost the cost of moto tires. I think we get off pretty cheap with this game and don't talk about the training time. hahah I spend hours and have not to show other than peace of mind I reckon. Saying that though this game is well worth the money to just get that out of it.
toss the alum stems and that'll be half the battle right there
(03-02-2015, 04:17 AM)gumbo2176 Wrote: Or, you could take up golf and see what expensive really is and darts will seem like a poor man's past time.
And if you think golf is expensive, see my avatar Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. $500 USD a race weekend EASY. Offseason isn't much cheaper. If I didn't race I'd own a house by now.

Yes you can cut costs right off the hop by getting rid of aluminum stems and then look at your dart where the point meets the barrel and see if there is a lip there that chews flights up when you group close. If you can reduce the lip you will save flights being torn. As or the being cheap.. I really don't think there is a cheaper sport out there except for drinks while playing lol but that is a whole different story. You join a league have a night or two out a week and all it costs is a few flights or stems (maybe) its quite reasonable.
Well I'm more frustrated by the shipping time and cost it takes for things take to arrive here in Canada, but I guess buying in bulk will save me time and money.
And yep, no more aluminium for me!
Fred

Have darts, will travel!
In the grand scheme of things darts is relatively inexpensive to play. Like most things you can make it as expensive as you want if you want to buy the newest darts, etc. as they hit the market.

Just like you i've broken my fair share of shafts and ripped/damaged flights. The cost of these items is pennies on the dollar though and definitely hasn't been cost prohibitive to me. As was mentioned already, you can buy these items in bulk and it costs even less.

The barrels are always going to get nicked up as they hit against each other in the board, bounce out and hit the floor, etc. Realistically you could get years and years of use out of a set of barrels if you felt so inclined. It is the curiosity of trying new stuff where the costs start to add up Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
2017 180 count - 3
Board - Blade 4
Darts - Unicorn Hamilton 23g with storm points
Oche - Duct Tape
Sorry ya cheap Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. fishing, golf much , much more.
If you put cost on the hours of enjoyment this past time brings, the relief from tiring day of work that it gives, etc other benefits in playing, I think the investment and spending to sustain this hobby is worthy.
I'm not annoyed by the cost really, as I have other activities that are quite expensive.
As I said earlier, it's more a matter of access than cost.

I'm just wearing my tinfoil hat and see a conspiracy theory with manufacturers charging a lot for parts that break and that should be virtually unbreakable, considering our knowledge on plastic, nylon and carbon fiber Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I mean, I have the feeling that big names in dart manufacturing will have no shame to release a shaft made out of kevlar and charge $15 for it because it is a fancy material... but still manage to get "Planned obsolescence", or "Planned durability" and develop it as being prone to break easily, in order to sell you another one as soon as possible. This scheme is valid on many other industries, but with darts... considering how pure and simple they are... I find it quite obvious with my newbie's eye!
Fred

Have darts, will travel!
So it's possible that for instance not all Storm Points are created equal?
(03-02-2015, 06:17 AM)majeek Wrote: So it's possible that for instance not all Storm Points are created equal?

The heck I know the difference between a storm and a nice weather point Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I'm not yet at the stage to repoint my darts... I just like to throw them where I aim at and see them fly and hopefully hit Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. And I'm sad when the shaft is bent. I assemble some of my darts with aesthetics criteria in mind, more than efficiency, a bit like a flower bouquet : "This stem will look good with that barrel and will look awesome with those flights". I'll put some pictures of my darts sometimes.

To focus back on my original post, I just think it's crazy that stuff that should be so sturdy break so easily.
Fred

Have darts, will travel!
No need to diddle with the broken stem and dremels/drills in the shaft. A heated screwdriver, a sharp steeltip or a special tool that costs 50 pence works wonders. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5...SY355_.jpg
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.