Double Top Darts.

Players darts or not? (Winstanleys)
I wonder if anyone there can satisfy my curiosity. I notice that most adverts for Pro players' darts don't specify that these are the darts that a certain player plays with. They simply say something like, "designed by". Also I just spoke to a rep from Winmau about Dean Winstanleys latest darts who said, "they are made in the same way as his." So what do you reckon out there. When we buy a set of "Players darts", as many of us do, how true to the player's actual darts will they be?
i would say a lot of them are. for instance Tony O'Shea plays with an old set of Harrows Bristow darts that he has had for many years. But the Target O'shea darts are basically a copy and so you are getting the same darts in effect. There probably are not too many that are much different to the ones they use.
Sometimes there is a small difference. When Lewis used his Gen 1 Target darts, he had an extra ring added to make the smooth section much smaller. This style was not available to buy.
Darts: 22g Darts Clearance 
Shafts: Medium Natural 
Flights: Standard No.2

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Unless a player is using the same darts for a long time, a lot of darts you buy will have subtle changes compared to the pros current darts.

There are a lot of pros that have used the same darts for years...when you buy their darts, you're getting the same model.

The problem is that pros have access to technicians with a lathe at their disposal. They can ask to have more grip added, the nose reshaped, or even a brand new dart and have it ready within a day or so. Often times the dart gets tweaked even more as the weeks go by. It's tough for a manufacturer to produce a "current dart"....by the time they're ready for mass producing, packaging, advertising, etc..the pro could easily be on a totally different model. The manufacturing/consumer side is always going to be many steps behind what you see the pro using on a weekly basis.

Most manufacturers don't want to get into the Peter Wright cycle of creating a new dart every few weeks. Since players do minor tweaks often, I think manufacturers produce darts that are the closest overall design to what the pro currently uses. There might be subtle differences but overall it will be close.

Unless a player has shown he/she is willing to stick to a specific model/shape/grip for at least 3-4+ months, manufacturers won't likely take a risky plunge producing a dart that might not be used again.

Other times when manufacturers produce a dart quickly, it's when their pro player is using a competitor dart and they need to get their name on a similar dart so consumers aren't confused. Good example of this is the Barney Phase 5 (Barney used the Shot darts at one time) and the Lewis G2s. Lewis still uses his old Unicorns but now it's not so obvious due to Target re-creating the same grip as the Unicorns have in the rear.

I believe it was Winstanley that also loves to experiment...many of his models have different colored striped denoting what prototype model is being used.

As for manufacturers creating the current darts...it's mainly about playing catch-up, "Is it cost effective to produce a new model that the pro could be ditching next week?"...can this new model be justified if it's only a small tweak from the old model?

Only option you can do is buy the closest model, send a Tweet to that pro asking to get a good close up picture of his current model (most are happy to help out fans/enthusiasts) and then have a custom set based off his existing set to get it accurate.

I'm in the process of buying a set of Phase 2A Barneys and sending them to a custom shop to have the nose cut down...similar to what he was throwing a few months back.
Thanks Rich for your reply. I've been told though by several different people that Lewis never got on with his Gen 1 darts and that he was still using his Unicorns with Pro Grip stems. I always assumed that this was why they were unavailable. This info came from a pretty reliable source and I've looked at pics online of the Unicorns so it seems to me to be the case. The Gen 2 darts which are now on the market just seem to be a better copy of the Unicorns. Maybe I'm wrong though.
(02-27-2015, 02:38 PM)Regulatori Wrote: Unless a player is using the same darts for a long time, a lot of darts you buy will have subtle changes compared to the pros current darts.

There are a lot of pros that have used the same darts for years...when you buy their darts, you're getting the same model.

The problem is that pros have access to technicians with a lathe at their disposal. They can ask to have more grip added, the nose reshaped, or even a brand new dart and have it ready within a day or so. Often times the dart gets tweaked even more as the weeks go by. It's tough for a manufacturer to produce a "current dart"....by the time they're ready for mass producing, packaging, advertising, etc..the pro could easily be on a totally different model. The manufacturing/consumer side is always going to be many steps behind what you see the pro using on a weekly basis.

Most manufacturers don't want to get into the Peter Wright cycle of creating a new dart every few weeks. Since players do minor tweaks often, I think manufacturers produce darts that are the closest overall design to what the pro currently uses. There might be subtle differences but overall it will be close.

Unless a player has shown he/she is willing to stick to a specific model/shape/grip for at least 3-4+ months, manufacturers won't likely take a risky plunge producing a dart that might not be used again.

Other times when manufacturers produce a dart quickly, it's when their pro player is using a competitor dart and they need to get their name on a similar dart so consumers aren't confused. Good example of this is the Barney Phase 5 (Barney used the Shot darts at one time) and the Lewis G2s. Lewis still uses his old Unicorns but now it's not so obvious due to Target re-creating the same grip as the Unicorns have in the rear.

I believe it was Winstanley that also loves to experiment...many of his models have different colored striped denoting what prototype model is being used.

As for manufacturers creating the current darts...it's mainly about playing catch-up, "Is it cost effective to produce a new model that the pro could be ditching next week?"...can this new model be justified if it's only a small tweak from the old model?

Only option you can do is buy the closest model, send a Tweet to that pro asking to get a good close up picture of his current model (most are happy to help out fans/enthusiasts) and then have a custom set based off his existing set to get it accurate.

I'm in the process of buying a set of Phase 2A Barneys and sending them to a custom shop to have the nose cut down...similar to what he was throwing a few months back.

Thanks -this is a brilliant response. Am I right that you think then that if my replica darts are going well I shouldn't fuss about losing out in some way because there not quite the same as the Pro players actual dart?
lol...don't worry. You have to understand, these pros have a very specific throwing style they've perfected over many years. A minor barrel tweak could be beneficial and noticeable to them...but for the average player, it's most likely unnoticeable. Also remember that you most likely don't have the same exact grip as Winstanley...so a lot of his tweaks could be on a section that you're not even touching.

If it's really important, just get some clear screen captures off youtube (look for 720p+ videos) and see if a custom shop will modify your existing darts. I would only do that if the dart was going in a case/display.
(02-27-2015, 02:46 PM)The Rev Wrote: Thanks Rich for your reply. I've been told though by several different people that Lewis never got on with his Gen 1 darts and that he was still using his Unicorns with Pro Grip stems. I always assumed that this was why they were unavailable. This info came from a pretty reliable source and I've looked at pics online of the Unicorns so it seems to me to be the case. The Gen 2 darts which are now on the market just seem to be a better copy of the Unicorns. Maybe I'm wrong though.

he did indeed switch back to his Unicorns after a while. that being said he won his second world champs with his Gen 1 Targets and the following year was a missed D20 away from making the final for the 3rd year running so i guess he was ok with them.

I guess for Lewis whenever he was off form he must have thought, would i be better / more comfortable with my old darts and in the end he decided it would be better to switch back. probably the same reason why he still uses Unicorn Maestro flights instead of his Target signature ones.
Darts: 22g Darts Clearance 
Shafts: Medium Natural 
Flights: Standard No.2

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.