Harrows Darts.

How do you release your darts?
Does anyone have a way of releasing the dart in such a way that they ensure the release is the same each time?

I try and make a V shape with my thumb and forefinger with the point where they meet being lined up with whatever i'm aiming at.
Some people are aimers, I'm not. I look at darts like throwing a baseball. Do you aim the ball at the target or look at the target and throw the ball?

I used to have a lot of issues with my release and the way I resolved was using less fingers. I used to use a 4 finger grip with the two in the back with the dart point resting on my ring finger and my middle finger resting on top of the point. Some of my releases were not clean though and I could tell the a finger lingered too long on the barrel during the release or the dart hit a finger as it came out of my hand.

Here are a few things that helped me out.

-Try use as lightest pressure as possible on your grip. You want enough for positive control but not too heavy that it hinders a clean release.
-Try to keep your grip simple. You want to find the balance between having a controlled consistent release but not too complicated where you have to get four fingers out of the way for a clean release.
-Try different experiments....do minor tweaks to see if there is improvement. Example...if you grip the dart with your thumb and forefinger, keep the dart in the same spot on your thumb but try different spots on your forefinger. Try some shots where the barrel is resting on the first inner crease/joint (below your fingernail/opposite side of your finger). Then try some shots where the barrel rests against the fleshy area on your ringer between the first two joints...then maybe try resting the barrel against the main joint. Even making a small adjustment to where the dart rests on your thumb can aid in a cleaner more consistent release depending on your mechanics.
-See if you can do mental beat/rhythm in your head so it's easier to hit release the dart at the exact same time. As you start your throw, being saying, 1, 2, 3, etc.. during your throw and see if that rhythm gives you a more consistent release. Try to release at the exact same time you're repeating a specific number...it can be as simple as "I find that releasing the dart the moment before I say the number 3 is the best time..."

Not sure if this helped at all. Good luck.
(02-27-2015, 06:58 AM)Regulatori Wrote: Some people are aimers, I'm not. I look at darts like throwing a baseball. Do you aim the ball at the target or look at the target and throw the ball?

I used to have a lot of issues with my release and the way I resolved was using less fingers. I used to use a 4 finger grip with the two in the back with the dart point resting on my ring finger and my middle finger resting on top of the point. Some of my releases were not clean though and I could tell the a finger lingered too long on the barrel during the release or the dart hit a finger as it came out of my hand.

Here are a few things that helped me out.

-Try use as lightest pressure as possible on your grip. You want enough for positive control but not too heavy that it hinders a clean release.
-Try to keep your grip simple. You want to find the balance between having a controlled consistent release but not too complicated where you have to get four fingers out of the way for a clean release.
-Try different experiments....do minor tweaks to see if there is improvement. Example...if you grip the dart with your thumb and forefinger, keep the dart in the same spot on your thumb but try different spots on your forefinger. Try some shots where the barrel is resting on the first inner crease/joint (below your fingernail/opposite side of your finger). Then try some shots where the barrel rests against the fleshy area on your ringer between the first two joints...then maybe try resting the barrel against the main joint. Even making a small adjustment to where the dart rests on your thumb can aid in a cleaner more consistent release depending on your mechanics.
-See if you can do mental beat/rhythm in your head so it's easier to hit release the dart at the exact same time. As you start your throw, being saying, 1, 2, 3, etc.. during your throw and see if that rhythm gives you a more consistent release. Try to release at the exact same time you're repeating a specific number...it can be as simple as "I find that releasing the dart the moment before I say the number 3 is the best time..."

Not sure if this helped at all. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. Interestingly i do place my middle finger on the point and have the point resting on my ring finger. I have tried tweaking this butalways come back to this grip. I find myself trying to make a tight grip too, so maybe i will try a looser grip.

It wasn't the grip i was asking about really though it is what happens to your hand after the dart has left. Do any of your fingers continue to be pointed at the target?
(02-27-2015, 11:52 AM)Dalman Wrote: Thanks for the reply. Interestingly i do place my middle finger on the point and have the point resting on my ring finger. I have tried tweaking this butalways come back to this grip. I find myself trying to make a tight grip too, so maybe i will try a looser grip.

It wasn't the grip i was asking about really though it is what happens to your hand after the dart has left. Do any of your fingers continue to be pointed at the target?

I have a 4 finger grip too. I find this comfortable and gives me control over the dart. I would suggest you do try the looser grip as this will let the dart come out of the hand smoother with less potential for snagging on a finger and pulling the dart. Also the looser grip means less tension in the arm itself.

In terms of your last point I have seen it recommended that after release your arm should be pointed straight out down the line of release and therefore end up pointed at your target. In my opinion this is good advice as practicing a nice smooth release with a good follow through is important.
A drill that I would perform if I find my release or follow through is off is to through the dart and then point a finger at the end of my follow through. Ideally this should be pointing bang in line with the target and hopefully where the dart has actually landed. Doing this forces me to have a full follow through and not reach for the next dart as part of the follow through or stunt the follow through. 5 minutes of this gets me back into having the full follow through and then it becomes second nature again and I can go move on to other practice routines
=========================================================================================
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

Great comments about follow through. Two more things I would like to add.

Another trick that will help you with follow through is to stand 2-3 feet behind the oche and throw like normal. You'll find that in order to generate enough power, you'll have to give your arm a full follow through. I do this a lot before my league matches if I feel my arm is a bit tight. It definitely loosens you up. Plus it's quite satisfying when you feel your arm having a nice straight follow through like the pros...and even 2-3 feet back from the oche, you'll notice your dart groups are quite close. That's when you know you're doing it correctly.

Also, to add to ElusiveDouble85's comment about having a straight follow through...it may sound lame but it really does help to tie a piece of yarn vertically across the dartboard so it cuts the board down the middle. Just a simple thumb tack above and below to keep the yarn tight will do the trick. That way you have a natural line to follow during your throw. It really does help...especially on cutting down on 5s and 1s.
Completely agree Regulatori Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

1 more from me! I stole this one from Saber Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. If you are short of room behind the oche, say in a busy pub or a small practice room in your house and do not have the space to stand 2-3 feet behind the oche you can practice throwing at double top or even the 0 of the 20 number ring to achieve a similar affect and get the follow through working
=========================================================================================
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

Right lads that's me sorted out for practice tonight then. Couple of feet back and concentrate on the follow through.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Might need to work on some of this myself. I'm having an issue where my darts are landing in the board pointing way to the right. Anything landing below T20 is completely blocking the bed.
2017 180 count - 3
Board - Blade 4
Darts - Unicorn Hamilton 23g with storm points
Oche - Duct Tape
Badly, usually.

Ummmm, my release? I try to make the pointy end hit first? :-) Wish I wasn't a newbie....still.....because reading this tells me there is so much more to darts that I would really really some day be able to comprehend in a hands on way...thanks for posting this kinda stuff.
I have a grip like Whitlock and drop my third finger on my drawback.
I do all my own stunts.
I usually grip with my thumb and index just behind the balance point, and my middle finger on the side/tip of the grip. I hold at about 90*, draw back and hit myself under the eye or in the chin, then smoothly throw, releasing just after the climax of my throw.
I often think if there is an optimum way I should or could grip and release the darts so it is smoother and straighter, I am sure that the way my thumb and fingers rest on the dart that some where along the barrel the applied forces of my grip must be affecting how it leaves my fingers and it may be out of proportion on some areas.

May be one day they will have some kind of custom barrel you can throw where it can measure exactly how your fingers grip it and the motion and force applied on release. When they do that they will be able to make a really customised dart to suit a player perfectly, then the top guys may improve in accuracy even more, will be quite scary to see how technology develops to make such a dart possible though Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

I try not to over think my release and just think of how Bobby George so aptly put it "look where you're throwing and throw where you're looking" works for me.
Current Board 
Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore black flights, Voks Tornado points and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
(03-03-2015, 08:26 PM)ChrisTheFish Wrote: I try not to over think my release and just think of how Bobby George so aptly put it "look where you're throwing and throw where you're looking" works for me.

I think (no pun intended) that is the problem with darts in general, overthinking too much of your technique, it disrupts the flow, I still think its valid to practice parts of your technique and try to improve them but ultimately I believe your goal should be to perform that throw as effortlessly as possible with a smooth flow from start to finish, achieving that goal is the journey we are on though, some get there quicker than others. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unicorn: Release of Jeffrey de Zwaan darts vanJupp 51 5,359 11-30-2018, 10:33 PM
Last Post: nixer55