Unicorn

Can't settle on a weight.
Hello people. I'm fairly new to playing darts properly, although I have had a board in my house for years. The past few weeks I have started to (try) to play properly.

I had a few sets of darts already, some 32G Brass bombers, some 26G straight barrel brass, and some Harrows assasins in 24 Gram.
After I realised I liked the lightest ones the best, I ordered myself some 21 gram Designa stingrays.
Liking these a lot, I then got some even lighter 18 Gram Nodor's for a steal on ebay new.

Now, I am stuck on what to use. The 24 is useable, but too heavy for my liking. The 21's and the 18's I seem to be very similar with, and can't decide which I prefer. I want to like the 21's as they cost me 3 times the price of the Nodors( still only £18 so no big loss if I don't use them) and I like the colourway, although I also like the Nodors.

So, how did you get to your weight? Was it an immediately noticeable thing, or was it hard for you?
I really need to settle on one as at the moment I am going back and forth between the two, and I gather that is not good form for me.

Any help would be much appreciated.
I think most of us get there by experimenting and working with different weights over time. Even then, what you like best will probably change as time goes on. The 28gr darts that were perfect for me in the 90’s no longer work well for me at all. I’m now in the 23-25gr ballpark.

I think you’re a lot better with the smaller/lighter tungsten darts than you’d be with 26-32gr brass darts. Those heavy brass darts are so big that they make it hard for most shooters to throw tight groups.
I agree completely with the tungsten comment. The 32 gram ones are so huge I think it would be impossible to get a 180, they are that big and fat.

I am between the 21 and 18 gram set though, it is them two I can't choose from. The assasins I find a little too heavy at 24 gram.
The Assassins are an 80% tungsten dart which makes them quite large at 24 grams.

Your best bet is to settle with a 90% tungsten dart in the long run. It allows for a decent weight while keeping size to a minimum.

As you say, you're fairly new to darts so there's still a lot of experimenting to do. I noticed you haven't mentioned anything about flights and stems and that's the most important thing in getting your dart to fly like you want it too.

There's nothing that anyone of us can tell you about a best weight, flight or stem. You'll just have to keep at it and find out what you prefer on your own. But once you think you have an idea we can provide all sorts of links to dart stores that offer the cheapest prices Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Fights and stems, I have come to the conclusion that, at the moment, I feel most comfortable with short stems and standard sized flights, kites a close second, although i gather this may change as I improve.

The assasins do feel larger than the other two sets, but I won't be using them, they are there as a spare set for my fiancee as they are closer to the weight she is comfortable with (25 gram). The nodors are approximately 6 MM across, the Designas slightly more at around 6.6MM. I think the Assasins are approx 7.6MM.

It is very annoying trying to decide, I am constantly going back and forth between them after a couple of games, and can't tell much of a difference, although I am swaying towards the 18's at the moment. That will probably change the other way in about an hour lol.
I agree with what was said above. There is only one way to find out and that is the hard way of experimenting. I would go with several criteria though.

1. Try to see for yourself what feels comfortable. This might only give you a range of what you like, since subjectively not only the weight but also dimensions make a dart feel different. For example, a 26g straight barrel feels lighter than a 26g torpedo which is much shorter.

2. Once you have figured out what feels best and you start being more consistent it is always also a good hint to check where your darts land in terms of height in relation to your aiming point. If you feel your dart is always landing too low although the force of your throw feels natural you might want to consider a heavier dart and vice versa.

Hope it helps. Good luck mate!
I'm not as experienced as most people here, but when I'm stuck between two sets I like to just use the one that I want to like more, then you end up more comfortable with it after practice and therefore like it more.
I gather the majority of people here use one weight generally, but is there any of you that actually use two weights? Is it bad form to practice with different weights? I'm thinking it most likely is, but may be wrong.
(02-26-2015, 12:11 AM)conanthewarrior Wrote: I gather the majority of people here use one weight generally, but is there any of you that actually use two weights? Is it bad form to practice with different weights? I'm thinking it most likely is, but may be wrong.

I used to play in different leagues on Monday's and Tuesdays. On Monday I was in a steel tip league and played with an 18 gram barrel. On Tuesday I played in a soft tip league and shot with a 14 gram (?) barrel.

The weight difference didn't bother me. I think the fact that I was playing a lot seemed to help me at that point.
Neither can my ex muaaaaaaaaaaaahaaa
Maybe I am wrong, but I think in general you should focus more on how you throw than what you throw. Of course equipment is important and is also a fascinating part of the sport. Probably even more than in most other sports. Equipment will also certainly help you to really discover the last few percents of what you are capable of. I guess for a beginner switching too much is not sooooo good. You should first settle your throwing style. At the start you will be inconsitent no matter what you throw and changing will not help you anyways. You will change the dart, feel better afterwards and then start being inconsistent just because you have a bad day and then switch again. This will not help you to develop a consistent style. However after all said everybody is different and it might work for you. Less thinking more thorwing is my advise hehe.
Cyanide, Is soft tip very popular where your from? Over here I've never seen one up in all honesty.

Lespaul82, (liking the name by the way, I play guitar myself), I guess your right, just practice! I'm just going to use whatever takes my fancy for now. If I settle on a set eventually, then so be it Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images..

And LOL at the Ex comment Saber
play 3games with each dart and what ever one you score highest with or feel more comfortable with will be the right ones...if you play for a team alternate your darts from match to match and then you know what is the best to play with under pressure
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Target Adrian Lewis 23g Generation 2 with 150 micron white union jack Target flights.
Gary Anderson Limited Edition phase 3 23G

Professional's met: I played Stephen 'Bullet' bunting...highest score 120
Terry 'bully' Jenkins.... highest score 100 using Gary Anderson Darts
Dennis 'The Menace' Priestley...yet to play though
James Wade...Yet to play though

180's: 26
140's: 95
120's+: 74
100's: lost count!!!!
Highest score out in 3 darts: 156
(02-26-2015, 01:28 PM)Dynamite mike! Wrote: play 3games with each dart and what ever one you score highest with or feel more comfortable with will be the right ones...if you play for a team alternate your darts from match to match and then you know what is the best to play with under pressure

I'l try this, I'l have to write down as I go along. I was just practicing with the 18's, just doing shove halfpenny ( I think thats what its called).

I am leaning towards the 18's though, even though I want it to be the 21's because of the look of them (although there is nothing wrong with the look of the 18's, I just like the white and blue on the 21's).
Glad you like it. Strangely, I don´t even play my Les Paul anymore for many many years. Stuck with Fender recently.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can't settle on a throw Danny Giles 14 1,766 03-06-2019, 06:35 PM
Last Post: MariusOveras