Darts Buddy

Is it common to put all your weight against a raised oche?
I use a raised oche at home for practice...it's just a simple board that's taped securely to the garage floor that gives me a reference line. It just makes it easier since I don't have to stare down at my feet to make sure I'm behind the line.

One thing I try not to do is put any body weight against the oche. The board is secure so it could easily be done....but since none of the pubs have raised oches, I don't want to get in the habit during practice and potentially affect my throw in league matches.

You can definitely get closer to the board if you angle your foot/put your weight against a raised oche.

I noticed Barney's front food is actually angled against the raised oche...he wouldn't be able to repeat that same stance on a flat surface.

Guess this is the first time I noticed it...even the announcers made a surprised comment when this camera angle was shown during the match. They made a comment how his ankle is almost in front of the oche line (and his ankle is resting on the corner of the oche) and his body weight is over the line. Seems uncomfortable.  

Is this common for a lot pros that play most of their games on a raised oche?

Broken link(s) removed
It doesn't seem like a good idea, like you say, for consistency's sake. Not likely to be a problem for me; I've never even seen a raised oche except on TV.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

Do they ever play without a raised oche?
Do floor tournaments always have raised oches?

The point of a raised oche is for easy identification of the throwing distance...and make it easy to keep players behind the throwing line.

Just curious if there is anything in the rules that mentions using the oche as an advantage to put all of your bodyweight against it to get closer.

Guess the picture just surprised me a bit to see his ankle over the line...that can't be comfortable.
(02-25-2015, 01:24 AM)Regulatori Wrote: Do floor tournaments always have raised oches?

The point of a raised oche is for easy identification of the throwing distance...and make it easy to keep players behind the throwing line.

Just curious if there is anything in the rules that mentions using the oche as an advantage to put all of your bodyweight against it to get closer.

Guess the picture just surprised me a bit to see his ankle over the line...that can't be comfortable.

Yeah, most floor tourney's have a raised oche.

Gary Anderson smashes hit toes up against the oche so his toes point upwards. Almost the same thing as Barney except Gary's foot is more forward.
I don't lean against raised oches at all just make sure my foot is in tight against it.
(02-25-2015, 03:01 AM)Cyanide Wrote: Gary Anderson smashes hit toes up against the oche so his toes point upwards. Almost the same thing as Barney except Gary's foot is more forward.

In the league I play in all of the clubs have raised oches and I kind of adopt this approach. I don't have a raised oche at home though were I do all my practice, but not really sure that it matters for the stance that I have. For someone like Barney, that looks likes he relies on the raised oche, I would say that not having one would affect him. I've never seen a pro match that hasn't had a raised oche however
=========================================================================================
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

It's the Bristow/BobbyG way but it isn't really advisable. In fact Bobby advises against people copying him in this aspect on a BBC bit.
I tend to just go up to the oche. However I learned with a piece of gaffer tape on the carpet so didn't encounter raised aches till later on. Plus as I only ever wear Doc Martens I can't really do that anyway Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
the way some of the Pros press their feet against the Oche looks very uncomfortable to me, I know I would end up with some kind of ache in my foot or toes doing what they do, it needs to be flat for me really.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Here's Gary with his foot folded in 1/2 on the oche...

Broken link(s) removed
That's crazy about Anderson. That's got to absolutely destroy/crease a decent pair of leather shoes.

Yeah, I agree with Getagrip on this one...seems like some of these front feet positions can't be good on your joints for extended periods.
Man has got some bendy toes Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bounce outs more common with Priestley darts? NiteEyez 9 437 05-02-2020, 07:52 AM
Last Post: LKH9
  Who has changed weight drastically. Dart weight that is. cubdog 16 1,647 01-02-2019, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Red'75™
  Raised oche for home practice? Regulatori 12 9,838 03-20-2018, 02:25 PM
Last Post: 6God
  One common thing for Taylor MVG Beaton Part Bristow TheCrane180 10 1,170 03-09-2018, 05:46 AM
Last Post: TheCrane180
Tongue How common is this, and how is it scored? Flight Tenor 15 1,425 02-16-2018, 10:20 PM
Last Post: John_B
  What to cover a raised oche in??? Tankie 24 3,409 12-20-2017, 07:31 PM
Last Post: Denzo
  What is the exact width of the televised raised PDC oche? Regulatori 19 11,457 03-30-2016, 11:45 PM
Last Post: bkbum