Target Darts.

Slim vs Regular Carbon fiber stems (Fit or LStyle)
I notice that both Cosmo/Fit and LStyle offer slim and standard carbon fiber shafts.

Besides the very minor difference in weight, what is the main difference? Is it purely cosmetic? Are they both durable enough for daily use?

I want to pick up a set of L Style L-Shafts in carbon fiber but not sure if I want to go the slim or standard route.
I've use the Laro carbon stems before which are similar to a Target Pro Grip in carbon fiber but the L-Shafts are made specifically for L Style Champagne/Shell Lock flights. Plus they have a tiny canard that protects the edge of the flight.

BTW...L Style seems to have a new website.
https://www.lstyleglobal.com/index.html

Here is the standard...

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Slim...

What I find odd is that the standard/thicker stem is offered in 5 different sizes....

130 = extra short
190 = short
225 = short+??
260 = inbetween/tweenie
295 = inbetween+??
330 = medium

While the Slim version is offered in totally different sizes but longer....
300 = inbetween+??
370 = medium+??
440 = long??

You would think the slims would be more fragile and only offered in shorter sizes. That above picture with the complete slim setup make the stems look very fragile.

Anyone use the carbon fiber L-Shafts?
It can help with the airflow. If your have larger barrels (dum dum style) the slim stems can help push more air over the flight and make everything a little more stable. With straight barrels that don't punch so big a hole in the air the regular stems allow the air to move over the flight.
I think it'll also effect how the darts deflect off each other and react as you group them.
The thin ones have that extra knuckle, if you like, to hit with an incoming dart.
The Standard look better, better lines more smooth with the transitions. Those slims look Ugly to me.

I really like L-Style. I've only ever used their Laro Nylons... people would look at me funny as if to say why are you paying that price for Nylons. To be fair they got a point... but... they are well made and tough as Old Boots, and they have clean lines, no deficiencies in the Mould, they Make Tweenie size at a good length for me. Their colour range is Cool as Ice. They add, for me a touch Class & Flash to my Darts.

Looking at these numbers here you're talking about..... Might try a set on my Wades.
(02-09-2015, 06:10 PM)JohnL. Wrote: It can help with the airflow. If your have larger barrels (dum dum style) the slim stems can help push more air over the flight and make everything a little more stable. With straight barrels that don't punch so big a hole in the air the regular stems allow the air to move over the flight.
Interesting. Do you notice the darts flying any faster?
If you use champagne ring flights they will work on regular nylon shafts too
(02-09-2015, 06:34 PM)ReggaeDarts Wrote: The Standard look better, better lines more smooth with the transitions. Those slims look Ugly to me.

I really like L-Style. I've only ever used their Laro Nylons... people would look at me funny as if to say why are you paying that price for Nylons. To be fair they got a point... but... they are well made and tough as Old Boots, and they have clean lines, no deficiencies in the Mould, they Make Tweenie size at a good length for me. Their colour range is Cool as Ice. They add, for me a touch Class & Flash to my Darts.

Looking at these numbers here you're talking about..... Might try a set on my Wades.

Definitely check out the Target Pro Grips. I don't think it was a coincidence the Pro Grips came out not long after Target became L Style/Laro's UK distributor. I used only use Laro too but I'm dead certain Target Pro Grip are the same stem. Laro's are great stems but they're just expensive. I had a set of white Laro's that lasted me over a year (think I ended up giving them away to a teammate after he bent an aluminum stem).
The Target Slot Lock rings just happen to be the exact same size as the L Style plastic rings too.
I have both - I prefer the slim but I don't notice any difference in slim v.s. standard in how they make the dart perform. L-Syle slim shafts only come in three sizes on the regular shafts as well. I have been using the JokerDriver slim carbon -works great with champagne flights. They don't have the little ears to protect the flights but come in all sizes
(02-09-2015, 06:41 PM)Crusher17 Wrote: If you use champagne ring flights they will work on regular nylon shafts too
Sorry, I'm a bit confused. Champagne flights have the bullet shaped cap. L-Flights have the standard rectangle punched section (same size as a flight punch slot).

You can use both types of flights (L Flights and Champagne Flights) on any standard plastic stem.

But for the above L-Shafts, you need either a Champange Flight or a Shell Lock punched flight (folding flight that's been punched by a L Style Shell Lock punch) + Shell Lock caps.

I have the Shell Lock punch...folding flights work fine for me and the cap really keeps deflections down.
(02-09-2015, 06:34 PM)Regulatori Wrote:
(02-09-2015, 06:10 PM)JohnL. Wrote: It can help with the airflow. If your have larger barrels (dum dum style) the slim stems can help push more air over the flight and make everything a little more stable. With straight barrels that don't punch so big a hole in the air the regular stems allow the air to move over the flight.
Interesting. Do you notice the darts flying any faster?

Not faster, less fishtailing although it could be negligible. It's basically what Unicorn used to tell you back in the 80s.
(02-09-2015, 06:49 PM)Tormentor Wrote: I have both - I prefer the slim but I don't notice any difference in slim v.s. standard in how they make the dart perform. L-Syle slim shafts only come in three sizes on the regular shafts as well. I have been using the JokerDriver slim carbon -works great with champagne flights. They don't have the little ears to protect the flights but come in all sizes

Cool, thanks.

Are you referring to the Joker Driver stems that look similar to a plastic stem? Like these..
https://w-darts.com/LARO-c-4/LARO-Carbon-shaft-p-2.html
(They say either L-Style or Joker Driver...same exact stem).

I know Joker Driver makes stems for Fit Flights too.
(02-09-2015, 06:51 PM)Regulatori Wrote:
(02-09-2015, 06:41 PM)Crusher17 Wrote: If you use champagne ring flights they will work on regular nylon shafts too
Sorry, I'm a bit confused. Champagne flights have the bullet shaped cap. L-Flights have the standard rectangle punched section (same size as a flight punch slot).

You can use both types of flights (L Flights and Champagne Flights) on any standard plastic stem.

But for the above L-Shafts, you need either a Champange Flight or a Shell Lock punched flight (folding flight that's been punched by a L Style Shell Lock punch) + Shell Lock caps.

I have the Shell Lock punch...folding flights work fine for me and the cap really keeps deflections down.

you can fit the cup over standard nylon shafts
(02-09-2015, 06:54 PM)Regulatori Wrote:
(02-09-2015, 06:49 PM)Tormentor Wrote: I have both - I prefer the slim but I don't notice any difference in slim v.s. standard in how they make the dart perform. L-Syle slim shafts only come in three sizes on the regular shafts as well. I have been using the JokerDriver slim carbon -works great with champagne flights. They don't have the little ears to protect the flights but come in all sizes

Cool, thanks.

Are you referring to the Joker Driver stems that look similar to a plastic stem? Like these..

JokerDriver zero black ravel -w-darts.com has them. They hold flights really well
(02-09-2015, 07:54 PM)Tormentor Wrote:
(02-09-2015, 06:54 PM)Regulatori Wrote:

Cool, thanks.

JokerDriver zero black ravel -w-darts.com has them. They hold flights really well
Whoa! I always thought those were for Fit Flight stems. I may go for those...they are sexy!

Any chance you could post a picture later of those stems with Champagne flights on them? It's hard for me to picture in my head because of the odd shaped (but cool looking) end section.

I think we had talked a few months ago about carbon fiber stems in a different thread and for some reason I thought you were talking about the Joker Driver/Laro type stems.
I have some of the color gradiation ones too - yea I can send you a pic when I get home

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Target Carbon Ti Pro Eddie_Arrow 3 341 03-31-2020, 01:31 AM
Last Post: JAMSGOLF
  Regular or carbon shaft? saturationnn 15 950 03-14-2020, 06:06 PM
Last Post: Cloud 9
  SLIM Plastic/Nylon/Hybrid shafta Ancient Darter 0 321 12-16-2019, 12:02 AM
Last Post: Ancient Darter
  Mission Carbon Stems and L Style Caps Ancient Darter 5 709 12-12-2019, 07:12 PM
Last Post: Ancient Darter
  Carbon shafts Sam coakley 15 1,421 07-17-2019, 04:35 PM
Last Post: jt4527
  Lstyle stems questions El_duderino 4 464 02-20-2019, 09:24 PM
Last Post: ME27
  L-Shaft Carbon 260 Lil E 3 589 10-30-2018, 12:32 PM
Last Post: Bounce Out
  L style carbon Ed180 38 5,037 03-05-2018, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Spencerdl
  How to PROLONG the life of your TARGET Carbon TI Stems Ancient Darter 10 3,446 02-15-2017, 11:21 PM
Last Post: jslern
  Need Recommendations - SLIM Nylon or Plastic Shafts Ancient Darter 15 3,985 09-23-2016, 02:40 AM
Last Post: TheCrane180