Target Darts.

Please Explain "snatching"
I am inconsistent in my scores recently, to be honest I think I am rushing my throws for some stupid reason i can not hit consistent scored, yesterday I threw an 85 followed by a solid ton then hit a 7,11 and a 26. An old boy down my local said it looked like I was snatching.

Some one please help me sort my arm out, also tips on a good throwing Stance ill be great help.

Thanks fellow darters
lack of full follow through
WINMAU - 23g Carrera C3

2015 - 180s
WDA - 0
DODL - 0

I felt I was cutting my follow-through short (snatching) as well. I think what was happening is as SOON as I released the dart with my throwing hand I would immediately start reaching towards my other hand to grab another dart.

So I began doing a little drill to try and rid or at leat minimize that habbit.

I started throwing a number darts (sometimes 6, 9 at a time), just aiming at a random point on the board, but not really caring where they landed... I would start with a dart in my throwing hand and my arm hanging loosly straight down at my hip. I would then slowly raise my arm straight up towards the board until I got to my normal "hold and aim" point... but I WOULDN'T STOP there. I would move straight into my normal draw back and release and let my hand and arm EXTEND straight out to my target and slowly drop right back to the starting point down at my hip...

So... Start at my hip, come all the way up with arm extended, go straight into my normal throwing motion, throw the dart, extend my arm and go all the way back down... all in one long, slow, methodical motion. I'd do this for 10, 20, 30 minutes at a time. Sometimes I'd incorporate a little bit of the A1 exercise into it to get some added practice, but my main objective was to smooth out my entire throw and EXTEND my hand towards the target after release.

This helped me. Might help you, too.

If I have time I'll make a vid later & post it up for you to see.

(02-01-2015, 04:32 PM)OreoGaborio Wrote: I felt I was cutting my follow-through short (snatching) as well. I think what was happening is as SOON as I released the dart with my throwing hand I would immediately start reaching towards my other hand to grab another dart.

So I began doing a little drill to try and rid or at leat minimize that habbit.

I started throwing a number darts (sometimes 6, 9 at a time), just aiming at a random point on the board, but not really caring where they landed... I would start with a dart in my throwing hand and my arm hanging loosly straight down at my hip. I would then slowly raise my arm straight up towards the board until I got to my normal "hold and aim" point... but I WOULDN'T STOP there. I would move straight into my normal draw back and release and let my hand and arm EXTEND straight out to my target and slowly drop right back to the starting point down at my hip...

So... Start at my hip, come all the way up with arm extended, go straight into my normal throwing motion, throw the dart, extend my arm and go all the way back down... all in one long, slow, methodical motion. I'd do this for 10, 20, 30 minutes at a time. Sometimes I'd incorporate a little bit of the A1 exercise into it to get some added practice, but my main objective was to smooth out my entire throw and EXTEND my hand towards the target after release.

This helped me. Might help you, too.

If I have time I'll make a vid later & post it up for you to see.

Hello thank you for your response. I think im at a board again tomorrow so will give this a go. A vid if you have time would be really helpful.

Got any tips on a good way to stand when throwing.
K, I'll see if I can take a quick vid tomorrow. The most important part is extending your hand all the way out towards the board after release. Keep practicing. It'll come.

(02-01-2015, 05:09 PM)Nukeskywalker Wrote: Got any tips on a good way to stand when throwing.

Relaxed and consistent... That's about it, really. Stand in whatever way is most comfortable and repeatable.

I find when I tense up or over-concentrate that my stance changes and it moves the position of my upper body... I have to relax my legs & hips again to get back to my normal position.

When I snatch I know it. I suggest holding your follow through a second longer.
(02-01-2015, 05:20 PM)OreoGaborio Wrote: K, I'll see if I can take a quick vid tomorrow. The most important part is extending your hand all the way out towards the board after release. Keep practicing. It'll come.

(02-01-2015, 05:09 PM)Nukeskywalker Wrote: Got any tips on a good way to stand when throwing.

Relaxed and consistent... That's about it, really. Stand in whatever way is most comfortable and repeatable.

I find when I tense up or over-concentrate that my stance changes and it moves the position of my upper body... I have to relax my legs & hips again to get back to my normal position.

What he said! (+1)

Cheers
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

Okay here's the little vid I made of the exercise that helped me with this issue... Not a Brando film by any means, but you get the idea Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I hate the fact that I filmed it vertically, but when I tried a normal horizontal camera orientation you couldn't see the full range of motion of my arm.

i learned simple tip to complete follow through (think it was in a bob anderson lesson video?), but some dude said palm of hand should be parallel with floor at completion of throw ... might not work on everyones throw but it worked well for me.
WINMAU - 23g Carrera C3

2015 - 180s
WDA - 0
DODL - 0

Good vid- hand seems to in up a little turned sideways though- +1 from me.
(02-02-2015, 03:45 PM)OreoGaborio Wrote: [Video: https://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLlZ2-eZZIE]Okay here's the little vid I made of the exercise that helped me with this issue... Not a Brando film by any means, but you get the idea Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I hate the fact that I filmed it vertically, but when I tried a normal horizontal camera orientation you couldn't see the full range of motion of my arm.

Great advice.

I concur with your recommendation with one change as I would want the drill to begin exactly like you normally prepare so that your behavior modification of ending in the exaggerated completion at your hips take hold in your regular throw. Thereby replacing the snatch with a healthy one.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Darts: 22g Rebel One80 / 22g John Part Golden Hero
Stems: Harrow Magnetic Mediums
Flights: Combat
Board: Blade 4
Board Light: Circumluminator

Highest checkout: 167
Favorite checkout: 125 (50-25-50)
Fave players: Anderson, Wright, Part
Fave double: D16
Fave double in: D20
Best Game: 9 Dart 501

Best Darting Moments: playing John Part at an Exhibition / Being in attendance at World Grand Prix in Dublin 2014
(02-02-2015, 03:45 PM)OreoGaborio Wrote: [Video: https://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLlZ2-eZZIE]Okay here's the little vid I made of the exercise that helped me with this issue... Not a Brando film by any means, but you get the idea Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I think that's a good tip and it should really help with people who are reaching too quickly for the next dart, well done OG +1 Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

I'm suffering from the same problem right now.
Seems like a good practice routine to get rid of it.
Thanks for posting Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Yer welcome. Hope it helps.

Funny thing is, after practicing that exercise so much, now that's pretty much exactly how I throw, minus the exaggeration with the follow-through. But now I no longer bring the dart up and hold it in my line of sight, "aiming" the dart... I just bring the dart up from my thigh and go directly into my motion.

"Snatching"? Like at the end of season sale in the women's section of the department store? LOL!!!!!

Hey, I take my odd sense of humor with me wherever I go....I keep leaving it here and there, but like a bad penny......

Seriously, good post to revisit now and again....so go for it!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulling/snatching the dart tropicalpalmtree 15 731 03-01-2021, 10:43 PM
Last Post: tropicalpalmtree
Wink Snatching! The Camera Never Lies Counsel 2 283 12-10-2020, 11:53 PM
Last Post: Counsel
  Get that elbow up(please explain) Troll 19 4,547 05-16-2019, 03:58 PM
Last Post: jt4527
  Why do I keep snatching at my darts? Ben Cave 3 678 03-31-2017, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Ancient Darter
  Can someone explain this Troll 20 2,139 11-11-2015, 03:01 PM
Last Post: guest2