Cuesoul

is my board too dry?
Hey, i have observed that my darts haven't been sticking in the board well. they would fall out 20% of the time. if i sharpen them, they improve but not dramatically. for about 4 months i couldn't figure out what was the problem until i posted a thread about it and someone suggested that the problem might not be my darts, but the board. so i took the dart and instead of throwing, i forced it in the board as much as i could... i know that the point wasn't meant to stick in all the way to the barrel when throwing, but when i was pushing it in the board with all my might, the point only went in 1/3-1/2 of the way in and stopped no matter how hard i tried to force it in. so is this normal or is my board too dry? and if so, how can i fix it? i use blade 4 by the way. i know that you can't spray your board with water, but i read somewhere that you can place a damp cloth over night and the sisal will absorb as much water as needed.... could that be true? all opinions are more than welcome, thanks!
180's : over 25
2015 180's : 2
140's : lost count (well over 200)
highest out : 170
best leg : 13 darts
darts used : 23 grams, 80% tungsten
favourite double : 20
playing darts since : 2011
favorite players : Paul Lim, Dean Winstanley and Simon Whithlock
players i hate: : Wez Newton, Brendan Dolan and more.
other intrests : working out, getting high.
music : cypress hill, psytrance and more
Where is your dartboard placed now?
Winkix, I live in Alberta, Canada we are a semi-arid desert type environment in the summer. I soak a towel and ring it out really well and lay it over my boards over night when they get dry. I just recently purchased a new board but had a Winmau Blade 3 for 3 years and did it to it several times and had no problems. They key is to ensure that the towel is not too wet, ring it out really good. PS - my boards typically get used daily from anywhere to 1/2 hour to and up, so I got good life out of it. My boards are located inside my house downstairs.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Medicine Hat Darts League---------------------------------                 Darts Used: 22g One80 R2 Renegade's
(01-07-2015, 11:39 PM)Leaky Wrote: Winkix, I live in Alberta, Canada we are a semi-arid desert type environment in the summer. I soak a towel and ring it out really well and lay it over my boards over night when they get dry. I just recently purchased a new board but had a Winmau Blade 3 for 3 years and did it to it several times and had no problems. They key is to ensure that the towel is not too wet, ring it out really good. PS - my boards typically get used daily from anywhere to 1/2 hour to and up, so I got good life out of it. My boards are located inside my house downstairs.

Hello Leaky,
Looks like you know what you talking about....makes sense...good helpful reply, well done (+1)

Cheers Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

Leaky does the laundry at their home. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Good advice!

Me - I use a sprayer. Just a light spray, 6-12 inches away.
Not sure if it's too dry, ,I have never had this problem. You could always get a small personal humidifier for the room too. I don't really like dry air and sometimes in the winter with the fires going it can really dry the air out. I have a small personal humidifier that I picked up at cvs on sale for $15 that uses a standard water bottle as the container. Very inexpensive and handy and works well. Can't hurt to try keeping the room a little more humid.

Like this one https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Bottle-H...B00GEAE32Q
Just to be sure...are you "sharpening" your points or scuffing them?

I don't mean to insult your intelligence but the first year of playing steel tip, I was actually trying to sharpen my points thinking they will stick better. It was only after someone explained that you want to scuff the sides of point...the first 1/2" or so and really leave the point alone. It make a drastic different on my darts sticking.
(01-08-2015, 05:53 AM)majeek Wrote: Leaky does the laundry at their home. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Good advice!

Me - I use a sprayer. Just a light spray, 6-12 inches away.

I would absolutely not recommend doing this. The instructions with new boards say to NEVER get them wet. The constant swelling and contraction of wet to dry pulls the sisal away from the wood behind it. This causes bulging and heaving.

If your area is that dry, get a humidifier. Try to keep the humidity at a constant.

Plus, if you are spraying it with tap or spring water, the minerals in the water will crust and make your board harder... Requiring the process to be done more often.

If you don't believe me, ask LeeUxy.
-Milky

Keeping dart retailers in business since 2012.
Environmental conditions can affect the boards, after all the sisal is a natural plant fibre so moisture levels can change but Leakys tip with a damp cloth sounds good to me Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

I said light spray not to eventually mean doing it too much it such that water wiill be dripping off from the board.

Anyway please take Milky's advice and disregard mine.

I wouldn't recommend anything that worked well for me in the first place. But I see the point that if done incorrectly, the result will be fatal.

Same as like installing the highly recommended and popular storm points when done incorrectly.
(01-08-2015, 03:16 PM)majeek Wrote: I said light spray not to eventually mean doing it too much it such that water wiill be dripping off from the board.

Anyway please take Milky's advice and disregard mine.

I wouldn't recommend anything that worked well for me in the first place. But I see the point that if done incorrectly, the result will be fatal.

Same as like installing the highly recommended and popular storm points when done incorrectly.

That's the thing... A "light spray" to you may be a super fine mist that barely puts miniature droplets on the very surface of the board.... Which, may not cause any issues. But a "light spray" to someone who thinks that 'more is better' becomes half a cup of water unevenly wetting the board.

I liken it to a cigar... Also a formerly living porous and fibrous object.

Can they handle temperature and humidity swings? Sure! If done slowly over time. But if you put a super dry cigar in a super wet environment, or even wet it directly. It will swell and the wrapper will crack.
-Milky

the thing is that my room is actually not that dry at all, my room is downstairs. my windows are constantly wet and the water even runs from the windows to the windowsill like mad. i don't know why my board is so rock hard... maybe i'm exaggerating? maybe the point wasn't meant to go in all the way.... the board being to dry was just the only logical explanation i could think of...
(01-08-2015, 10:32 AM)Regulatori Wrote: Just to be sure...are you "sharpening" your points or scuffing them?

I don't mean to insult your intelligence but the first year of playing steel tip, I was actually trying to sharpen my points thinking they will stick better. It was only after someone explained that you want to scuff the sides of point...the first 1/2" or so and really leave the point alone. It make a drastic different on my darts sticking.

LOL, i really didn't know what scuffing meant, i thought its the same
as sharpening. i was in fact sharpening them. ill definitely scuff them this time! thanks for the tip
Lol Milky! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

That's actually what I am supposed to ask you about. How come "dry" gins are not totally dry?
(01-08-2015, 07:28 PM)majeek Wrote: Lol Milky! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

That's actually what I am supposed to ask you about. How come "dry" gins are not totally dry?

Because they aren't sweet.
-Milky