Target Darts.

Anyone know the specific thread size of the new "No. 5" tips
A few Japanese companies now offer soft tip barrels in No 5 tips.

Supposedly it's "about 1.6mm thinner than 2BA."

Here is a picture for reference.

Broken link removed

The idea behind is it allows more barrel tungsten near the point/tip so it gives the soft tip dart more of a steel tip balance. Less plastic = more tungsten

Also, the No 5 metal conversion tips are almost like a steel tip....you can really see how thin these are when comparing these to the picture above.  

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I'm going to have some steel tip darts converted to soft tip and want to go with No 5....figure it would be easier since I like darts with a more cone shaped nose and a No 5 tip will require a smaller nose section for drilling.

Anyone know the actual No 5 thread size?

The 2BA thread is a 4mm tap size....so a No 5 "about 1.6mm smaller" puts it's around the 2.35-2.44mm range

Closest I can think of is 3/32 which equals 2.3813mm (which is roughly 1.6mm smaller than 4mm)

I thought the No 5 thread tips started in Japan....why would they use imperial/standard sizing? That make sense?
So I grabbed a 3/32 drill bit and noticed it's about the perfect size if you wanted to convert a steel tip to a soft tip. The hole for the points in a steel tip darts is just slightly smaller than a 3/32

I'm now starting to wonder if the No 5 plastic tip was simple created so the Japanese wouldn't have to make larger nosed barrels specifically for the soft tip 2BA/4mm threads....with No 5, you could just grab an existing steel tip barrel with a small nose and add some female threads to convert it over to soft tip (instead of needing to create a separate soft tip barrel).

Hmmmm
Sounds like it could work, looking forward to what you discover Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
That could solve my problem with regards to my old version of Paul Lim soft darts. Would it match M3 thread? Please let me know Jeff. Thanks!

PS: The 2BA re threader I showed you last time might work in your conversion needs.
https://www.lstyleglobal.com/lippoint/nofive.html
saying dia. 2.8 mm
or are you asking what is the "pitch of the threads?
you count 180's
i'm counting money
     :usa:

2.8mm doesn't make sense though even if L Style says it is.

2BA = 4mm
Every website (included the L Style site above in the description) says "No.5 is about 1.6mm thinner compared to 2BA"

4mm-1.6mm is around 2.4mm.

Look at the picture above comparing the two sizes....the No 5's look almost 1/2 the size of a 2BA. There is more than 1.2mm between the two.

I may just order some tips to confirm it. It just doesn't make any sense to use some odd size.
i am a 2 ba guy so i have no clue
i looked on monsters facebook, when back a year. did not see an answer (they have the sleek tip also)
good luck
you count 180's
i'm counting money
     :usa:

No idea but also interested. Maybe it's 5BA which would be 2.65.
I wouldn't bother with No.5s. From what I've seen, the tips breaks too easily.

Not to mention you cant borrow tips from your buddies should the occasion arise when you run out for the night.
(01-03-2015, 06:50 AM)motopythons Wrote: I wouldn't bother with No.5s. From what I've seen, the tips breaks too easily.

Not to mention you cant borrow tips from your buddies should the occasion arise when you run out for the night.

What is the weight of the darts you were using with them and what type/model?

Curious because I am thinking of getting one to try.

Thanks for sharing your experience with them.
Finally I got some Point No. 5.

Red is Point # 5. Yellow is Acute Tip. Both Lippoints.

Point # 5 thread can go into Acute Point.

Note that some stores still call Acute Tips as M3 Tips, especially in US Based stores. As in the case of A-Z Darts.

Now my problem with my old Paul Lim soft darts is solved. Point #5 fits well on them. I no longer need the M3 adapter and thus save it for future use.

How tough are Point #5?

That picture of the tips in my Paul Lim is after throwing them on my Bristle board for 10 times. Yes they are tough enough to last several matches.

So, don't get second thoughts in getting soft darts with Point #5 tips. Although I learned those types of darts are more expensive than the regular ones.

Some dart reviewers think they are better ones. I still stick to personal preference.

I hope this gives light to the mystery behind the Point # 5 tips.
I have a set of Shot! 918 Longitude with No. 5 points that I'm currently using. I love the thin barrel! Tips aren't actually that easy to break, as far as my experience anyways.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
No. 5 tips break off in the threads too often to suit me.

I think you sorted it out, but you could always use the test board for nuts and bolts at any major home improvement store to get exact size.
Lathe Guy has a practical solution to Point 5 tips. PM him and inquire as if I do it - I get 10% commission. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
i tried no.5 darts once before
as i remember that was monster cobra model
The tips are strong and rigid, not as expected because those look so thin and easy to break
and the most important thing is
IT MAKES EVERY BARREL FEEL LIKE FRONT LOADED
but i like that though Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  In search of a specific barrel type Trukje 17 535 10-27-2020, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Trukje
  New 2 darts, tips bend easy do I need to buy harder tips Charly1954 9 1,083 09-17-2020, 03:24 AM
Last Post: splash
  Flight size Ed180 12 1,860 04-15-2018, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Mac-attack99