Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Quality problems Unicorn boards
Hey guys,

I was just wondering about the quality issues of the Unicorn dartboards.
Much has been written on forums and also on online shops and dart shops.

From my experience i know that most online dartshops in the Netherlands dont give warranty over Unicorn boards. reason?

"because of the current bad quality of the boards"

Also in shops they strongly give the advice NOT to buy a Unicorn board.

And when i am watching on TV it seems that the board wear out pretty quickkly.

This is not a topic full of hate about Unicorn, i mean i love thier darts, but the must have noticed all those complaines about quality, and the quality of the board on tv.

What my queston is: are they working on fixing this problems????
Darts: Shot! 901-1 gold 21gr/Winmau Hankey 21 gr/Unicorn Wade 22gr
Board: Shot! Bandit Plus
(12-15-2014, 01:09 AM)Joene Wrote: Hey guys,

I was just wondering about the quality issues of the Unicorn dartboards.
Much has been written on forums and also on online shops and dart shops.

From my experience i know that most online dartshops in the Netherlands dont give warranty over Unicorn boards. reason?
never owned one can't answer
"because of the current bad quality of the boards"

Also in shops they strongly give the advice NOT to buy a Unicorn board.

And when i am watching on TV it seems that the board wear out pretty quickkly.
pros using roughed up grip points
This is not a topic full of hate about Unicorn, i mean i love thier darts, but the must have noticed all those complaines about quality, and the quality of the board on tv.

What my queston is: are they working on fixing this problems????
doubt it
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Lately in my league the Blade4 is producing many bounceouts brand new boards NO WINMAU HATE just saying....
I think a lot is to do with quality control. I think a lot of items are made overseas and unless the company getting the products made have employed someone to specifically oversee the end results and rate the quality lots of bad boards slip through.

I think Unicorn have the boards made in such a way, Winmau have a factory in Kenya and I believe they have a tighter QC, but you still hear people complain of bad boards no matter who makes them.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I owned an Eclipse before and that was a good board.

I think you see more Unicorn boards on TV as others, and now days more players use grip points that damage every board.
may all the doubles be with you

Yeah. I think a lot of it is just luck of the draw. Bad boards will slip through quality control regardless of the brand.

I am curious how many pro-level razor grip boards Unicorn sells compared to Wimnau Blade 4's. One reason why we see more issues with Unicorns is simply due to a higher amount of boards being sold.

I've played on both boards and found them all to be excellent. I prefer Blade 4's simply because they tend to be softer. I have a light throw so the Winmau's seem to hold my darts better because they go deeper in the softer sisal.

I will say that I prefer an older Unicorn board to an older Blade 4. I had a lot of issues with bounce-outs/fall-outs with older well worn Blade 4s. It doesn't bother me with a home board since a new board costs roughly the same as a new set of pro darts...it's not exactly breaking the bank to buy a fresh board.
i agree with Grip that with Unicorn it seems to come down to poor quality control from their China factory. I have had some really good, long lasting Eclipse Pro boards and some poor ones too. Having said that, the way my second Blade 4 DC is wearing it will not last as long as the first one i had.
Darts: 20g Peter Wright Euro 11 Elements 
Shafts: Nitrotech short
Flights: Standard No.2

The same happened with the Gladiator 2 I reviewed, it was near perfect then a few people got them and they had some very bad problems, it was as if it was a different board, I think it was a bad batch that had got through.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

these things happen. to be honest i don't mind too much if i get a bad one. for me the companies response to the problem is more important. This is something i feel Unicorn are very very good at, as I'm sure most of the top manufacturers are.
Darts: 20g Peter Wright Euro 11 Elements 
Shafts: Nitrotech short
Flights: Standard No.2

(12-15-2014, 11:03 AM)Fred Raket Wrote: I owned an Eclipse before and that was a good board.

I think you see more Unicorn boards on TV as others, and now days more players use grip points that damage every board.

Point taken, but i dont understand the fact that i get a warranty for all the others boards, bull's, winmaus and no warranty for the unicorn.
Darts: Shot! 901-1 gold 21gr/Winmau Hankey 21 gr/Unicorn Wade 22gr
Board: Shot! Bandit Plus
The last Unicorn board I purchased, I had to return because the board was very very hard. 2 out of 3 darts would bounce right out. They exchanged the board for me, but now 3 months later, this Unicorn board has gone hard as well.

I've written to Unicorn about this issue, and have not heard back from them yet. If I don't heard from them soon, I'll write them once more, and if still no reply, I'll not purchase another Unicorn board. I feel they should at the very least, reply to their customers.
(04-01-2015, 09:12 PM)Slashum Wrote: The last Unicorn board I purchased, I had to return because the board was very very hard. 2 out of 3 darts would bounce right out. They exchanged the board for me, but now 3 months later, this Unicorn board has gone hard as well.

I've written to Unicorn about this issue, and have not heard back from them yet. If I don't heard from them soon, I'll write them once more, and if still no reply, I'll not purchase another Unicorn board. I feel they should at the very least, reply to their customers.

What sort of climate do you live in? Was the board placed over a heat register this winter?
(12-15-2014, 01:13 AM)slot Wrote: Lately in my league the Blade4 is producing many bounceouts brand new boards NO WINMAU HATE just saying....

I just got a new Blade 4 a few weeks ago and in one 2 hour practice session last Friday afternoon I marked 13 bounceouts on my throw. That's more than I had with the older boards with rounded wires and tons of staples holding the spider in.

I'll get back on it tomorrow for an extended period of time to see if I have similar results. I certainly hope not. If so, the old Alien goes back up and I'll order another one of them.
(04-01-2015, 11:58 PM)Cyanide Wrote:
(04-01-2015, 09:12 PM)Slashum Wrote: The last Unicorn board I purchased, I had to return because the board was very very hard.  2 out of 3 darts would bounce right out.  They exchanged the board for me, but now 3 months later, this Unicorn board has gone hard as well.

I've written to Unicorn about this issue, and have not heard back from them yet.  If I don't heard from them soon, I'll write them once more, and if still no reply, I'll not purchase another Unicorn board.  I feel they should at the very least, reply to their customers.

What sort of climate do you live in? Was the board placed over a heat register this winter?

I live in Ontario, Canada.  The board is set up downstairs in a finished basement.  The temperature is fine.

Unicorn has replaced the board 4 times now.  The first two boards had hard sections, which caused the darts to bounce out.  The third board was almost destroyed after 2-3 months (chunks of sissel were falling out).  The last board (just received it two days ago) is missing chunks of the board. What I mean is....the double 4 is missing a chunk out of the corner, and there are strips missing in other doubles and triples as well.  I took pictures and emailed them.  I was told that this is of "Acceptable Quality".  If chunks of your dartboard are missing and this is acceptable to Unicorn, then I now understand why their boards are such poor quality these days.

However, I will say that Unicorn's customer support was awesome.  As I mentioned, they replaced the board 4 times, and they finally gave up and offered me my money back.  I do find it sad that they were unable to get me a good dart board.  At the end, they tried to say that my standards were too high, but in truth, all I wanted was a dart board that worked properly.

I went and bought a WinMau Blade 4 from Amazon and it's perfect !
I'm now playing on a Unicorn HD board and it's beautiful to play on, maybe I've just been lucky.
Even the finer detail of the board are spot on with no discrepancies.

After reading other threads about this particular board it seems wear & tear may well be an issue so going to order the Blade 4 DC just in case.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Photo For years I have hated Unicorn boards, so I BOUGHT one! Trainor180 30 2,258 05-12-2020, 11:44 PM
Last Post: Trainor180
  Shot Bandit Dartboard quality The G 8 1,759 08-31-2017, 05:02 AM
Last Post: Ancient Darter