Darts mathematics, probabilities, and out shots
Wait... 42 on 78? I get the reward if you hit t14,... But why not go 54 24? If you hit a s18, you have 20, tops???? 42 makes absolutely no sense there.
-Milky

Keeping dart retailers in business since 2012.
[Image: DODLCOMPETITOR1_zpsff2d8071.png]
You can never think about missing that bad. If you do, you are already assuming failure.... I don't get it
-Milky

If you always hit the single when shooting for a triple, I have to assume you've never shot 85 or 81 when trying to pound the T20. Of course you have. The pro's do it all the time.

The reality is you are not going to hit everything you aim at. If you did, you'd shoot perfect games every time. The 42 gives you a guaranteed shot at a single for at least the DB. Missing the 18 does not. Wiring the T18 into the T1 is just as close to success as hitting a S18. Both are well thrown darts.

BTW, I have seen the pros go 42/36 on 78.
Wait what? Okay, let's say you teach/recommend someone to go 14's with 78 left for the reasons you gave. After a few months or maybe even a year, after this same player improves to a decent standard, at what point do you tell them "oops hey, now that you can play better you might want to go the correct way and start shooting at 18's first"

I'm a firm believer in teaching someone the correct way to go about doing things the first time around. Of course everyone is going to miss once in a while, especially beginners and intermediate players. Heck, I do it often myself. But at least they would know the proper way to attempt a 78 checkout.

And no professional has ever gone at the 14's from 78. It doesn't make sense and just wouldn't happen. It's not an option at that level or any level really.
I did mention on the out shot thread that for 129 playing devil's advocate why not go for bull first, its a larger target than the T19 and assuming you hit the 25 you only need one treble (T18) and your first dart can serve as a guide for the last.
Ok if you hit the bull you still need a treble but at least you still have an out in the same way as going for bull on 132.
Many American's play a lot of cricket so going the bull route is far more familiar so why not?
I have seen many Pro's go the bull route on 92 even though a bull means they need a single to leave a double so why not use it?
[Image: GEpKdcf.png] 
Current Board 
Gladiator 2 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
20 gram Darts Clearance, Harrows super grip fusion stems, Rapide flights with Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average                 

I have seen a pro go 42/36. I think it was Taylor. Anyway, I'm not the only one promoting this out shot.

As for when to teach someone one or the other? Teach both. Let the shooter decide.
(05-16-2015, 01:42 PM)BigE Wrote: I have seen a pro go 42/36. I think it was Taylor. Anyway, I'm not the only one promoting this out shot.

As for when to teach someone one or the other? Teach both. Let the shooter decide.

Teaching someone a route that needs 2 fats for a bull, vs 2 fats for a regular double which is 5 times the size of the bull isn't correct. Just like Mervin King's route from 80.

You're saying to this person "I don't trust you to miss into the fat 18,but I trust you'll hit the cork"

I'm completely befuddled...
-Milky

(05-16-2015, 01:42 PM)BigE Wrote: I have seen a pro go 42/36. I think it was Taylor. Anyway, I'm not the only one promoting this out shot.

There's others promoting this?

So you're saying teach someone the wrong way to play AND the right way?

This is so bad I'm not sure if you're being serious here or you're just having a go with us. If so, well played Smile
(05-16-2015, 06:25 PM)Cyanide Wrote:

There's others promoting this?

So you're saying teach someone the wrong way to play AND the right way?

This is so bad I'm not sure if you're being serious here or you're just having a go with us. If so, well played Smile
with 72 left... there's a ton of options. t12 for 36, 12 leaves 20 tops... t16 for 24. 16 leaves 16 tops. T20 for 12, 20 leaves either 20 for 32, or 12 for tops... THOSE are all options that 2 fats leave a regular double. Those make sense as teaching someone multiple ways. Those are a 'teach them and let them decide option'...
-Milky

(05-16-2015, 04:31 PM)Milkysunshine Wrote:

Teaching someone a route that needs 2 fats for a bull, vs 2 fats for a regular double which is 5 times the size of the bull isn't correct. Just like Mervin King's route from 80.

You're saying to this person "I don't trust you to miss into the fat 18,but I trust you'll hit the cork"

I'm completely befuddled...

I'm only concerned about getting to a game shot here with minimal effort. Going T18 may require you hit another triple if you miss.

That being said, when going T14, you can hit *any* neighbouring wedge and have a single fat for a shot at game. You're not asking specifically for missing T18 into the S18 and then hitting S20/D20. T14 will give you a better percentage of getting a game shot, because the first dart can be very poorly thrown and you still can get to the game shot with a single. It's not a great game shot, but it is still a game shot.

( And I bet dollars to donuts that people practice the cork more than they do T18. )

Going T14 assumes you demand that the first dart is aimed at a triple.

If you do not demand that the first dart be a triple, then on 78, a shooter that has a tendency to miss their triples ought to really just go S18 on the first dart and consider hitting T18 to be a bonus. At least this way, missing T18 into the S18 is not considered a "good shot".