Cricket Player's Playing 501
(08-09-2015, 03:25 PM)ReggaeDarts Wrote:
(08-09-2015, 03:11 PM)Stalker Wrote: I'll give just moving the arm a shot today in practice

Then I will be more Bodily specific. Primarily you need to concentrate on Moving the Fore-arm only through the line of sight to your intended target... Keeping your Hand, Fore-arm, Upper-arm & Shoulder as relaxed as possible, train your self to use only necessary muscles to launch the Dart.

A little practice and I could feel this helping. Accuracy suffered since I'm not used to it but it felt better and something I plan to keep. thanks for the tip.
Interesting topic on a number of levels. I have seen a lot of moving around when watching local league play here, both in 501 and Cricket. Never could figure out why as I've always stood in the same place for all my shots.

Speed is definitely faster without all the moving around.
Darts in Use:
STEEL
League/Match Set: Voks 22g EL-C Crossover
Backup match set: Dynasty 20g Fallon Sherrock Soft tips (w/ Fit Point conversion points)
Home Board: Blade 4 Dual Core
SOFT
Match Set: Katana Kokutou Hisyou 17.5g  Softtips. (My principle soft tip set)
Backup Match Set: Bull's Mamba 97 16.5g
Home Board: Gran Board II

I'm an american player and i would say 95% of the people i play against dont know HOW to play darts cricket or 501, now that doesnt mean that they are bad SHOTS, their strategy is just horrible. I take that back they have no strategy.
Darts used : 16.5g Monster Soldier Gates

Favorite players : Michael van Gerwen, Gary Anderson, Eric Bristow
(08-09-2015, 03:25 PM)ReggaeDarts Wrote:
(08-09-2015, 03:11 PM)Stalker Wrote: I'll give just moving the arm a shot today in practice

Then I will be more Bodily specific. Primarily you need to concentrate on Moving the Fore-arm only through the line of sight to your intended target... Keeping your Hand, Fore-arm, Upper-arm & Shoulder as relaxed as possible, train your self to use only necessary muscles to launch the Dart.

Nice!  The elbow is allowed to rise on follow through!  By that time the dart is gone anyway.  The benefit over stopping short, is that you're arm is going towards the target from the word go.
In most American leagues when playing 01 games you are right people will move all over. It does have everything to do with All Star points or what some American leagues call MVP points.

In league play 100 or higher gains you MVP points which affects your ranking in the league.
Match Darts: Target Carrera C3 25g
Shafts: L-style carbon locked
Flights: L-style champagne shape C3 dimple

High in: 160 Matchplay / High out: 170 Matchplay
(11-25-2014, 05:55 AM)trekbowl300 Wrote: Sorry, to get off topic of cricket players and 501, but after reading the few above posts I could not resist asking about one point of moving on the oche.  

I am in my second year of playing darts and when I started throwing I stood looking straight at the board then I was told that I should try standing sideways to see how that works.  Well, I tried it and liked it after I was able to get my knee in the right spot so there was no pain.  So for about a year and a half I have been standing sideways but I have always moved left or right according to what number I was throwing at.

After watching the videos on how to throw darts one of the past world champs said line up a little to the left so you arm is in line with the bull and 20.  I took this to mean line up with whatever you are shooting at, so I move left for 12 to 16, maybe only 2 inches left for the 19, and then right the same amounts for the numbers on that side.  Therefore I am always trying to throw straight ahead not at any angle.

If I would try to throw at all numbers from the center spot then the left side might be something possible but I have tried throwing to the  right side and it causes pain in my knee or ribs and causes wild shots because I am facing the other way by being sideways and I would have to twist my body or hand to hit the right side.  So why not just move right and throw straight?

I know what the pros do however I could not hold a dart like them nor do I have the talent they are born with.  I have also joined FS and there was never any mention on standing in one spot and hitting all numbers.  If it was implied it went right over my head otherwise I was just not aware that moving along the oche was a no no.  When I watch people in my league they stand in all different locations and shoot with different types of throws so everyone is somewhat different.

To get back on topic most players in my league (USA, New Jersey) seem to like Cricket because it makes you hit certain numbers and those of us that can't hit numbers lose.  501 is looked at like a race to lower your total score and only hit the one main double when going out.  The double in can be on any double which gives a chance of a lower player like myself a chance to hit one by accident and also get a high score by accident not on purpose.  In cricket you have to hit certain numbers to close or score and if you can't then the advantage is with the player that can and scoring points can change what the other player shoots at.  This is probably why most don't think about that cover shot mentioned above because the players are thinking about scoring in a different way then a true 501 player probably does.
All good points. I agree
(07-10-2016, 08:13 PM)BullsAllDay Wrote:
(11-25-2014, 05:55 AM)trekbowl300 Wrote: Sorry, to get off topic of cricket players and 501, but after reading the few above posts I could not resist asking about one point of moving on the oche.  

I am in my second year of playing darts and when I started throwing I stood looking straight at the board then I was told that I should try standing sideways to see how that works.  Well, I tried it and liked it after I was able to get my knee in the right spot so there was no pain.  So for about a year and a half I have been standing sideways but I have always moved left or right according to what number I was throwing at.

After watching the videos on how to throw darts one of the past world champs said line up a little to the left so you arm is in line with the bull and 20.  I took this to mean line up with whatever you are shooting at, so I move left for 12 to 16, maybe only 2 inches left for the 19, and then right the same amounts for the numbers on that side.  Therefore I am always trying to throw straight ahead not at any angle.

If I would try to throw at all numbers from the center spot then the left side might be something possible but I have tried throwing to the  right side and it causes pain in my knee or ribs and causes wild shots because I am facing the other way by being sideways and I would have to twist my body or hand to hit the right side.  So why not just move right and throw straight?

I know what the pros do however I could not hold a dart like them nor do I have the talent they are born with.  I have also joined FS and there was never any mention on standing in one spot and hitting all numbers.  If it was implied it went right over my head otherwise I was just not aware that moving along the oche was a no no.  When I watch people in my league they stand in all different locations and shoot with different types of throws so everyone is somewhat different.

To get back on topic most players in my league (USA, New Jersey) seem to like Cricket because it makes you hit certain numbers and those of us that can't hit numbers lose.  501 is looked at like a race to lower your total score and only hit the one main double when going out.  The double in can be on any double which gives a chance of a lower player like myself a chance to hit one by accident and also get a high score by accident not on purpose.  In cricket you have to hit certain numbers to close or score and if you can't then the advantage is with the player that can and scoring points can change what the other player shoots at.  This is probably why most don't think about that cover shot mentioned above because the players are thinking about scoring in a different way then a true 501 player probably does.
All good points. I agree
I second that
I’m the type to move around a bit, I don’t believe it’s due to cricket and it’s absolutely nothing to do with all star points.

For me I’m simply more comfortable throwing in a straight line at all times. If I happen to have 50 left I will line up slightly right and throw a single 18 then shift over to the left to aim at the d16. There’s no way I am considered a slow player, it takes a half second to shift and it happens as I am reaching for my next dart. I don’t think it’s a right/wrong thing. I will give you the fact pros are staying put but hell im a big golfer too, I don’t kid myself that I’ll be better just because I have a stance just like one of the pros
(05-29-2018, 03:41 PM)TJ106 Wrote: I’m the type to move around a bit, I don’t believe it’s due to cricket and it’s absolutely nothing to do with all star points.

For me I’m simply more comfortable throwing in a straight line at all times. 

Me too.  If you can consistently throw straight -- stay dialed in on your left/right X-axis -- then the up/down Y-axis is your only variable.  And you can help yourself by shifting into the position where the orientation of the number bed offers you the greatest chance of success.  In the case of D16, that means lining yourself up a smidgen to the right of where D16 meets D8.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Playing Cricket & Bullseye's Banned 7 1,855 11-05-2014, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Banned