Red Dragon Grizzlys 4 review UPDATED
Hi All,

I’m going to give you a little review into some new darts that arrived today. Whilst I’m very happy with my Andy Hamilton's...I do have one issue...as the grip wears, its difficult to feel the same grip position each time.

These Red Dragon darts fitted the bill on paper and the knurling on them looked good so I thought it worth a go.
The total (bargain) price including delivery from Wales was $54.80 AuD Cool

As you can see by the different profile heights it is easy to form a grip thats totally consistent each time. The knurling looks rough but in fact its not rough at all on fingers it simply provides a good positive feel Smile

The thickness ranges from 8mm down to 6.6mm, the barrel length is 40.6mm and they have of 90% Tungsten content

(My Andy Hamiltons 25Gm darts are 8.11mm thick and 41.57 mm long)

The level of 'Gripiness' (? :s) of the machining would be level 5 on a scale 1-5 the Hamiltons would rate a 4

Note: I changed the stem to my short brass ones and gave them a fling...

.jpg   images.jpgwelsh.jpg (Size: 4.34 KB / Downloads: 226) "The Triple Crown" Big Grin Welsh Darts, Welsh Choir (in background) and a Welshman

Cheers Big Grin
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Monster "Milkman" - 22.4Gm, Smooth Gold Points 36mm, Yellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

[Image: 0mbrxgh.png]

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

those look good bud, where do you grip the dart, in the rear or in the front?
TITAN
Darts: Target Carrera C4 22g Black
High Out: 158 (T20-T20-D19)
2019 180s: 90
(11-12-2014, 07:35 AM)Titan Wrote: those look good bud, where do you grip the dart, in the rear or in the front?

Hi Titan,
Thanks for your interest, towards the end of the video I show the grip position I use.

Cheers
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Monster "Milkman" - 22.4Gm, Smooth Gold Points 36mm, Yellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

Nice one Dorian, I was looking at them the other day, I was thinking of giving them a try, I have some of the other Grizzlys but the shape of them got me curious. Are you sure your welsh? sound very much like an Aussie to me Smile

Some nice groupings there, how have they held up after the contacts? Looks like they have a few areas to grip too which is good. Nice effort, got to give you a +1 Smile
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
(11-12-2014, 03:23 PM)Getagrip Wrote: Nice one Dorian, I was looking at them the other day, I was thinking of giving them a try, I have some of the other Grizzlys but the shape of them got me curious. Are you sure your welsh? sound very much like an Aussie to me Smile

Some nice groupings there, how have they held up after the contacts? Looks like they have a few areas to grip too which is good. Nice effort, got to give you a +1 Smile

Thanks Darren,

Funny thing about the accent when I was home last year a few people noticed an Aussie twang now and again and a few phrases I was using were definitely not Welsh Blush

Please see picture regarding your question about impact damage, below..

REVIEW UPDATE
The points also turned an 'ok' dart into a very well balanced dart. I could feel and see the difference immediately with the slightly longer point (+2mm). It makes them fly 'truer' and very importantly the gold coating makes them stick into the board far better!

Most people change to the storm points for one of their features, their gradual taper into the body of the dart barrel that removes the normal lip that's there which in turn lessens the damage to flights. However in this instance the knurling cancels out this benefit but as mentioned the real benefits for me were... a much better balance and the fact that they simply 'stick' in the board. As a result of which I would strongly recommend changing over the points to Target Storm smooth Gold points 30mm

Cheers Big Grin
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

Very nice and thank you mate Plus 1 from me.
(11-12-2014, 09:53 PM)*Saber* Wrote: Very nice and thank you mate Plus 1 from me.

Thank you Larry Smile
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

Great review Dorian, +1 from me too Big Grin

This dart is an example of what manufacturers do to drive me crazy. I like everything about the barrel but it's too heavy. But if you look at the Red Dragon website, the 23 gram version isn't the same shape. One of my peeves. Oh well Big Grin
Thanks Nucky,

I thought it would be interesting to show you the difference in the way these darts fly after changing the points to 'Target Gold Storms' and of course spending a little more time stuffing around with them Tongue. So I decided to have a little go at the routine suggested by Golgo13 today which is closing 50 in different ways with 3 darts etc just for fun Big Grin

I must say that the other big benefit I'm getting with these is the consistency in my grip position Smile

Cheers Big Grin

P.S I know what you mean about the shape change for a couple of grams difference in weight....why do they do that?
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

Looks good I think the change in point length is more than likely a personal thing for your grip, its probably the hardest thing about doing reviews is getting across the fact that the dart being reviewed will be different for each individual which is why I always say people should check the whole review and use them as a guide to make their own final judgement on if it will suit them or not.

I think the reviewer should still give their personal opinion though as there could be others who have similar grips or taste in barrel styles etc.

Nice update! Smile
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
(11-13-2014, 09:50 AM)Getagrip Wrote: Looks good I think the change in point length is more than likely a personal thing for your grip, its probably the hardest thing about doing reviews is getting across the fact that the dart being reviewed will be different for each individual which is why I always say people should check the whole review and use them as a guide to make their own final judgement on if it will suit them or not.

I think the reviewer should still give their personal opinion though as there could be others who have similar grips or taste in barrel styles etc.

Nice update! Smile

Thanks Darren, Smile

Yes you're spot on as we know 2 people could pick up the same dart and one person may throw them well and the next person would be hopeless. A point that came out last night when I lent these darts to a guy who's got similar front loaded darts and similar grip to me. He couldn't get any accuracy at all. When I recently posted to Nucky that I would review them I concentrated not too much on the mechanical aspect but more on the 'feel and how they flew' in my set up and of course that suits my style. I also hope the videos showed that after a very short time (with my action) I could achieve reasonable results. I believe it helped to highlight the benefits of the points too as they definitely changed the characteristic of the dart in my throwing style.

As with all reviews, results will vary with each individual.

Best regards
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

Very detailed and interesting review Dorian! +1 from me too! :-)
I don't think there is anything 'natural' about throwing darts. A person does not naturally stand sideways, with weight more on one leg, lean forward and swing to launch a projectile repeatedly, day in, day out as part of daily routine. One does not even throw a rock or ball that way.    ~ With darts, everything has to be learnt, and refined.  Wink

What is NATURAL? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and trying to learn! So I can fool around with loads of set-ups and techniques! Lol! Big Grin
(11-17-2014, 03:07 PM)Ancient Darter Wrote: Very detailed and interesting review Dorian! +1 from me too! :-)

Thank you Sir Wink
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Red Dragon Evoke 24g darts review Mailman Barry 14 338 05-31-2020, 07:19 PM
Last Post: Papa w
  Red Dragon Virage 22g Darts Review Getagrip 22 2,219 05-28-2020, 08:02 PM
Last Post: Luke_Kuechly_59
  Shot Rob Heckman Dragon 22g Darts Review Getagrip 17 549 03-18-2020, 07:20 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Red Dragon Peter Wright World Champion 2020 23g Darts Review Getagrip 29 1,630 03-04-2020, 04:14 PM
  Red Dragon Carnage 2 22g darts review Getagrip 37 12,236 02-28-2020, 10:21 AM
  Red Dragon Delta 22g darts review Getagrip 17 10,807 01-22-2020, 08:16 PM
Last Post: Spudj85
  Red Dragon Askari 24g darts review Getagrip 25 12,321 01-17-2020, 04:02 AM
Last Post: Phil McKeown
  Winmau Colin Osborne / Red Dragon Argon 1 25g darts review Cateye 5 783 09-28-2019, 07:18 PM
Last Post: Cateye
  Red Dragon Rascals Review JayKay 8 4,296 07-26-2019, 12:18 AM
Last Post: SlingBlade
  Winmau Golden Vanquish / Red Dragon Tempest 26g darts review Cateye 7 1,340 07-13-2019, 07:37 PM
Last Post: Cateye