My guide to keeping flights on stems.
(09-14-2018, 07:39 PM)Breadfan Wrote: My new Black ICE came with the locking rings, up to now I have never tried them before. But I don't understand, why would you want your flight to stay on the dart? I clearly saw numerous darts I've thrown after one in the treble 20, deflected from the flight NOT coming off. Clear as in popped up over 1/2 inch above the treble. After this happened a couple of times, I took my rings off and this no longer happens. I see the point of not wanting to look around and find your lost flight, then get it back in for the next turn, but at the expense of not hitting another treble? Do the pros use them? Other than the stated reasons above, I don't understand the reason for a flight not to come off when hitting another dart in a high scoring area. I always thought that was the reason they did pop off.

You have to find the right balance of securing the flight versus undue deflections.  This will vary from player to player, so you have to discover what works best for you.

In terms of the pros, this post by @joeriw96 shows some certainly do:

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...#pid512290

cheers...
Very good post and thanks for explaining how it all works.
I currently use heavier springs on generic nylon stems , 100 micron flights , and a bit of spit when I put flights in. seems to work ok.
When I have $ I'd like to try slot + rings.
Great post Jeff! Very informative.

Great thread and initial guide. I started off using nothing. I got fed up with picking flights up, and more so with broken stems from robin hoods, especially as I sometimes used to use aluminium stems, so could get through a pack in no time.

I then would use the springs / rings that came free with Supergrip stems and/or goody bags from buying darts. I liked the fact that they held the flight a bit tighter but they would break easily, especially the rings, and how hard are they to find when you accidentally drop one on the floor?!

Then I read (probably here) about punching & titanium slot lock rings. I bought a punch and some TSLR's and for quite a while I was really happy with this setup. Never had a single flight drop off or broke a stem, but then I realised that perhaps that whole setup is TOO tight & rigid, there is simply no give, so I begun to really notice the deflections. Practically, its great for not bending down picking flights up / not breaking stems, but when your dart visibly jumps across from where it would have landed after hitting a boarded dart, that really gets my goat. Not that I'll ever make a living from darts, but I don't see many pro's using punched flight setups. Again, hunting around on the floor for dropped slot locks is a pain too.

I'm not saying I'll never use punched flights again, but because of the deflections, at the moment I'm using up the last few springs I have and may then buy some titanium rings (not slot locks). Maybe that's a good middle ground of helping a little to keep the flight on, without the deflections of a really rigid punched setup with the thicker slot lock rings.
(02-01-2019, 04:49 PM)Dave_79 Wrote: Great thread and initial guide. I started off using nothing. I got fed up with picking flights up, and more so with broken stems from robin hoods, especially as I sometimes used to use aluminium stems, so could get through a pack in no time.

I then would use the springs / rings that came free with Supergrip stems and/or goody bags from buying darts. I liked the fact that they held the flight a bit tighter but they would break easily, especially the rings, and how hard are they to find when you accidentally drop one on the floor?!

Then I read (probably here) about punching & titanium slot lock rings. I bought a punch and some TSLR's and for quite a while I was really happy with this setup. Never had a single flight drop off or broke a stem, but then I realised that perhaps that whole setup is TOO tight & rigid, there is simply no give, so I begun to really notice the deflections. Practically, its great for not bending down picking flights up / not breaking stems, but when your dart visibly jumps across from where it would have landed after hitting a boarded dart, that really gets my goat. Not that I'll ever make a living from darts, but I don't see many pro's using punched flight setups. Again, hunting around on the floor for dropped slot locks is a pain too.

I'm not saying I'll never use punched flights again, but because of the deflections, at the moment I'm using up the last few springs I have and may then buy some titanium rings (not slot locks). Maybe that's a good middle ground of helping a little to keep the flight on, without the deflections of a really rigid punched setup with the thicker slot lock rings.

Think more pros punch flights than we might think from watching televised matches.  They just don't punch all the time.  No question in my mind the rigid setup can cause deflections, but also why you switch more often.  I think for big matches they'll go with setups to minimize deflections, but in earlier rounds you'll commonly see punched flights.

Have a look at this post by Joeriw96 from last years Dutch Championship.  Seems quite a few of the 'trophies' were punched...

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...#pid512290

cheers...
I allways use punch flights. Never had any trouble with flights falling of, even though my darts are tightly grouped. And use nylon flights they last longer
I read Dave's concern as not flights falling off, but increased deflections.
Eric Bristow always said ali stems or ali topped nylon stems like harrows Alamo are best. He said they hold flights very tightly but because there are no rings, you get far less robin hoods than you would with nylon stems with springs or rings attached.
Darts:  22g Legend Darts Eric Bristow Black
Shafts: Medium Nylon
Flights: Standard Shape 

[Image: op13lZ6.png]
UThis is a great post.  Learned a lot.
Adrian Lewis Gen 2 23g
One80 G3
Kentucky Bourbon
Fit flights and shafts, they never come off.
Target Daytona Fire GT10 18g Soft Tip Darts
Ton80 Count-7
Started playing 9/15/18
Good info. Thank you for posting.
Used this in a link today and gave you a plus one as it sums it up nicely, I also read this guide myself, when I was having flight issues so the +1 was well earned.
Yes its me, I checked in the mirror. 

Current throwing weights of 18 to 24 grams.

Current darts set up :- 23 gram, darts clearance (no name scalloped darts) with a 50 mm barrel, 41 mm nylon shafts + standard flights.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Big Grin Darts: A Quick Reference Guide nixer55 7 3,676 01-26-2020, 02:23 PM
Last Post: nixer55
Information Darts For Beginner's Quick Reference Guide Ni518079 36 14,945 07-04-2018, 04:01 PM
Last Post: LUIS JAVIER
  Guide for 501 Sinister Lefty 5 1,045 02-08-2018, 03:31 PM
Last Post: belfastkev
  Another Beginner, Another Blog. Keeping track of progress. Codes 18 2,693 12-11-2017, 03:15 AM
Last Post: Codes
Heart Mixing and Matching Stems and Flights Jay Murtagh 8 3,206 07-14-2016, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Jay Murtagh