Tungsten Putty tutorial for adding weight to soft/steel tip darts
I've been experimenting with the putty for a few weeks. For me it's been great to even out weights. Not so great for making darts heavier -- the most I can fit into any of my darts is half a gram.

One thing I did discover, though… the stick of a Tootsie Pop is the perfect diameter for putty-cramming.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

whats a Tootsie Pop?
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

Subscribe to my Darts Review Channel on Youtube: CLICK HERE

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
(01-30-2015, 07:19 PM)Getagrip Wrote: whats a Tootsie Pop?

.jpeg   Unknown.jpeg (Size: 1.24 KB / Downloads: 131)

26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

LOL nice ad, they are called something else here but I forget what, I feel old Sad
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(01-30-2015, 06:07 PM)brenthahn Wrote: I've been experimenting with the putty for a few weeks. For me it's been great to even out weights. Not so great for making darts heavier -- the most I can fit into any of my darts is half a gram.

One thing I did discover, though… the stick of a Tootsie Pop is the perfect diameter for putty-cramming.

How much weight you can add definitely depends on how deep the dart is drilled. Companies like Target will often keep the outer diameter the same for all weight ranges and drill deeper to get the weight down. It's usually a good indication when you see three different weights ranging from 21g-25g and a 3 barrels are relatively the same size...you'll know that 21g barrel will most likely have a large cavity/add a few grams with tungsten putty.

Definitely check out Getagrip's dart reviews too and pay attention to the picture showing the measurements...on the later reviews he's been showing how deeply the dart is drilled. This will give you a good indication of much putty can be added.

(01-30-2015, 07:19 PM)Getagrip Wrote: whats a Tootsie Pop?

EDIT: Beat me to it!
It's a candy lollipop with a Tootsie Roll center.
They had a famous commercial/slogan for years, "How many licks does it take to reach the center of a Tootsie Pop?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6rHeD5x2tI
great idea,never new there was such a product!
Chuppa Chups

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

An alternative to those wanting to the get the most weight out of the smallest space might want to opt for tungsten powder. I used it a couple years ago to fill up a Hankey dart and the powder is quite a bit heavier than putty. A word of caution... it's super messy if you're not careful. Care has to be taken when changing stems or else the powder will spill all over the place.
(02-23-2015, 02:54 PM)Cyanide Wrote: An alternative to those wanting to the get the most weight out of the smallest space might want to opt for tungsten powder. I used it a couple years ago to fill up a Hankey dart and the powder is quite a bit heavier than putty. A word of caution... it's super messy if you're not careful. Care has to be taken when changing stems or else the powder will spill all over the place.

Or you could use the powder for the majority of it, then 'plug' the last bit with the putty. Best of both worlds.
-Milky

Keeping dart retailers in business since 2012.
[Image: DODLCOMPETITOR1_zpsff2d8071.png]
Plus one for a great tutorial! Smile

Cyanide, I used to use tungsten flakes before for similar purposes, but not for darts. I'm guessing that with a dart using tungsten powder, you could 'pack' it in by a tiny fabric wad. Reason why fabric is because it can be compressed very tightly by the point/stem. Imaging a small portion of a cleaning flannel, gauze or a cut felt airgun cleaning pellet. Or even a very tiny bit of something like blutac.

Felt Pellet: http://images.esellerpro.com/2269/I/162/1/22_2.jpg

Blutac: http://www.craftycrocodiles.co.uk/images...379600.jpg
I don't think there is anything 'natural' about throwing darts. A person does not naturally stand sideways, with weight more on one leg, lean forward and swing to launch a projectile repeatedly, day in, day out as part of daily routine. One does not even throw a rock or ball that way.    ~ With darts, everything has to be learnt, and refined.  Wink

What is NATURAL? http://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and trying to learn! So I can fool around with loads of set-ups and techniques! Lol! Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Adding a Score Overlay to you Home-/Pubgame Recording or Broadcast Shotgun 23 3,980 07-18-2019, 02:38 PM
Last Post: nixer55
  Made Monster Anastasia darts 3g heavier with tungsten putty and tungsten inserts Getagrip 12 2,273 02-06-2017, 05:36 AM
Last Post: gheagz
  Why adding T17 and T18 to your locker is a great idea Banz 1 836 01-06-2016, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Tgstan
  How to remove tungsten putty m1ghty 1 1,574 08-10-2015, 02:13 PM
Last Post: Regulatori