Tungsten Putty tutorial for adding weight to soft/steel tip darts
Aha, so that's how it's done. Thanks for the PM.

BTW I've ordered a 100gr scale and putty - the thought of being able to have all matched sets was just too much!
Juniper Terrace Soft-Tip Darts - Possibly the first and only soft-tip darts group in Atlantic Canada!
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
Soft-Tip: 18g McCoy
Steel-Tip: 18g Crusader
with conversion points
Great idea!
Just ordered the scale. Thanks for the recommendation and the exceptional info on weighting. Cheers!
I'm going to have to try this out if my set even has a cavity large enough ill have to check when I get home
After seeing this post I bought some of the putty - It does work very well on pencil darts.
Does the putty deteriorate over time? I mean do you have to constantly monitor the weight of the darts if it is still the same after a period of time?

So the barrels should weigh the same after putty. Then here goes the set up that should also be of same weight.

Sometimes it is beneficial not to buy those scales. I want to be purely mental in every game I play. I don't want to think that I lose a match because of a .075g discrepancy, etc. This is too much work taken out of your practice time.
(09-20-2015, 03:56 PM)FireStorm Wrote: Does the putty deteriorate over time? I mean do you have to constantly monitor the weight of the darts if it is still the same after a period of time?

So the barrels should weigh the same after putty. Then here goes the set up that should also be of same weight.

Sometimes it is beneficial not to buy those scales. I want to be purely mental in every game I play. I don't want to think that I lose a match because of a .075g discrepancy, etc. This is too much work taken out of your practice time.

My putty has stayed in the same condition for a year or more.

Beneficial to not buy a scale? Did you buy a scale and have it ruin your game?

I think the point is to be able to add weight to darts, but if you want you can make sure that your darts are nice and even. Getting the weights even on the barrels would relieve you of that worry of weight, not add more worries in my opinion. I'd rather my darts be off by .03g than .2g, and a scale and tungsten putty lets you do that if you do happen to end up with a sloppy set of darts. edit: Unless you are assuming your darts are perfectly matched, and knowing they are off by a couple hundredths of a gram will throw you off. I have a hard time thinking that would happen though.
Actually I am deleting some items in my brain to make room for other better things to think about. Too much stuff creates stress. The weighing scale is not issue itself but the tendency of worrying too much about very minor things. Despite I haven't heard of any pro player talking about it and worrying about weights. All I heard is the concern about the "feel".

Believe me it's better to play and get focused on playing with less to zero worries.
(09-20-2015, 04:29 PM)FireStorm Wrote: Actually I am deleting some items in my brain to make room for other better things to think about. Too much stuff creates stress. The weighing scale is not issue itself but the tendency of worrying too much about very minor things. Despite I haven't heard of any pro player talking about it. Have you?

Believe me it's better to play and get focused on playing with less to zero worries.

No I have never heard of a pro player mentioning it. MvG probably has a big variation in his darts.

What I was trying to say, is if you are the type of person that worries about the weights of your darts, then a scale and tungsten putty would only help. That way, when you are actually playing, you don't have any doubts about mismatched weights. I don't think having a scale is what makes the person worry more.

I already had a scale, and there are a few sets that I matched perfect. It only takes 10 minutes or less, but I don't care enough to do it to all the darts I use. I doubt any of us here can tell the difference until its near half a gram, even then it would be tough.
Thank you very much excellent write up. I did order the harrows pins 18.5 and I bought a set of unicorn Machina's 21 gram I am not to fond of either of them big money for both darts also lol I am open to trades for either of these sets for something around 18-22 maybe 23 if anyone is interested these are brand new. Let me know I tried to post them in the buy sell trade but I can't find the start new thread
(01-01-2016, 02:25 AM)whynot Wrote: Thank you very much excellent write up.  I did order the harrows pins 18.5 and I bought a set of unicorn Machina's 21 gram I am not to fond of either of them big money for both darts also lol I am open to trades for either of these sets for something around 18-22 maybe 23 if anyone is interested these are brand new. Let me know I tried to post them in the buy sell trade but I can't find the start new thread

He you go ,,, Click on the "Post Thread " and list you darts and terms of sale?trade,,,,Smile

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=69
[Image: w3A1Oz5.gif]
Quickly getting some tungsten putty for a set of Bull's darts the manufacturer stated in the box was 22g but in actuality is only 21g. Just hard to get some here in the Philippines, but UK sellers from ebay make generous offers for TP every day. Kudos to them and kudos to this thread. +1
I was able to do this last weekend to a set that had arrived lighter than expected.  I was able to add almost 1 gram to the back end of my eddie lawrense puma darts.
[Image: 100BULLSOFTIPLEADER_zps183a92d4.png]
I will report on my experience with the putty;

I upped my 22 gram Whitlocks to 23.014 grams. I managed to get all 3 darts on exactly that same weight. I had to remove the putty after though, which was a difficult mess and took long. Problem was that I disliked how it changed the balance of the dart. Here some pics of the weights, to show off my work on making the weights perfect.
Match Darts: Target Phil Taylor gen 3, 22 g
Best 501:
19 darts
180s (2017):
 91/60

180s (2018): 87
180s (2019): 7

For people experiencing difficulty removing the putty, just use a small electric drill/screwdriver with a thin drill bit.

Just drill slowly into the putty and lightly pull out the drill as you're still drilling. The putty should just wrap around the drill bit and get easily pulled out.
Then you just need some putty to blot the drill bit with...the putty on the drill bit will come right off and attach itself to your bigger glob.

I just did that to some Hankey's which are the hardest darts to get the putty out of (very thin darts but very deep...like 35mm+ depth). Just used a drill bit that was slightly smaller than the rear hole. It all came out in 2-3 minutes.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Adding a Score Overlay to you Home-/Pubgame Recording or Broadcast Shotgun 27 5,363 05-17-2020, 06:52 PM
Last Post: nixer55
  Made Monster Anastasia darts 3g heavier with tungsten putty and tungsten inserts Getagrip 12 2,483 02-06-2017, 05:36 AM
Last Post: gheagz
  Why adding T17 and T18 to your locker is a great idea Banz 1 915 01-06-2016, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Tgstan
  How to remove tungsten putty m1ghty 1 1,745 08-10-2015, 02:13 PM
Last Post: Regulatori