Tungsten Putty tutorial for adding weight to soft/steel tip darts
Great idea. Thanks for the tip. Never would have thought of this.
I must have missed this when I was back in Scotland for a couple of weeks. great thread buddy +1 from me too
[Image: fXeMWag.png]
Thank you for the guide!

Very beneficial especially to a new player like myself!
Would packing the putty in the stem side make a dart land more tail down,,,?
[Image: w3A1Oz5.gif]
Yeah, how much depends on your grip/throw/stem and flight setup, etc..

I actually prefer non-hollow/non-drilled out darts unless the dart is totally drilled out (like a 14g Hankey).

I've pretty much only throw Barneveld darts because of this...all of his darts are solid tungsten right up to the rear threads.
I don't notice any difference in flight between a 14g hollow Hankey and a normal dart that's only drilled out enough to allow a stem to be screwed in.
Exactly. I used 14g Hankey's off and on for the past year and a half...I found myself keep going back to them. Every new dart I tried just felt unbalanced. It wasn't until I started getting into RVB's that I felt comfortable throwing a heavier dart...only because they are so even weighted.
Big Grin

Broken link removed
Here's an idea for those NOT looking to increase the weight of their darts. You can use tungsten putty to make all 3 darts perfectly match weighted. Just get the weight of the heaviest one and then use small bits of putty to slightly increase the weight of the other 2 darts. There's something about perfectly matched darts that gives peace of mind Smile

Broken link removed
Yeah its amazing how small of a piece is needed to even out some weights. Say you are off .2g, its a really small piece. Plus the putty isnt as dense as the actual tugnsten barrel, obviously, so it also shows how exact the machining must be to get an accurate weight match.
(12-10-2014, 10:38 PM)Dmott Wrote: Yeah its amazing how small of a piece is needed to even out some weights. Say you are off .2g, its a really small piece. Plus the putty isnt as dense as the actual tugnsten barrel, obviously, so it also shows how exact the machining must be to get an accurate weight match.

So true!!! I was breaking off the smallest of pieces to get things perfect. It was like the tiniest of crumbs.
Brilliant idea.

And avoid picking your nose while applying the putty!

Before you finally give up on your 9fives, I would suggest you add some magic putty on the rear.
Then throw with nylon in between shafts with pear or kite flights.
thanks for the tutorial! i was thinking about getting some to try. I'm OCD about dart weights so evening them out like what you did Cy is something i definitely want to do Smile
TITAN
Darts: Target Carrera C4 22g Black
High Out: 158 (T20-T20-D19)
2019 180s: 90
It's cool to see so many people having great results with this stuff. I remember purchasing it for the first time and being shocked how much just a tiny ball of it weighs.

I had been posting about using the putty on another dart forum for well over a year and everyone seemed to ignore it. Cool to see people here really interesting in it and actually excited as I was when first trying it.

It's definitely a mental edge to know all of your darts are perfectly matched. I've had some sets where one dart was off .30g....and when I would miss a shot, I would cynically imagine "Wonder if that was the heavy one out of the three?" haha
Umm, Blatantly missed this thread when you put it up originally, Reg.

A most interesting experimental concept....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Adding a Score Overlay to you Home-/Pubgame Recording or Broadcast Shotgun 23 4,496 07-18-2019, 02:38 PM
Last Post: nixer55
  Made Monster Anastasia darts 3g heavier with tungsten putty and tungsten inserts Getagrip 12 2,406 02-06-2017, 05:36 AM
Last Post: gheagz
  Why adding T17 and T18 to your locker is a great idea Banz 1 858 01-06-2016, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Tgstan
  How to remove tungsten putty m1ghty 1 1,625 08-10-2015, 02:13 PM
Last Post: Regulatori