John Lowe
Originally posted by Andy on the old forum:

John Lowe comes from Tupton , Derbyshire , And is one of only 5 players to have won the world darts championships 3 times in 1979 , 1987 and 1993 .

John Lowe's successes in darts are really to numerous to go into , His biggest asset was his pure consistency , He was also known by many as the ton machine ! Not many 180s but not many bad scores either just relentless consistency which at the time made him hard to beat , Well unless your name was Eric Bristow Smile
In the 1984 World Masters he became the first player ever to manage a 9 dart finish while being televised , He went on to win the event.
John picked up the nickname of OLD STONEFACE due to his ability not show any emotion while playing , Indeed while at the oche he rarely even seemed to blink !
John was an active participant in the B.D.O split alongside some other well known players , Helping to build and run what has now become the P.D.C.
He also played for England over 100 times and was captain for 7 years during which time the team were unbeaten , John was and still is thought of as a gentleman and is very much respected by his fellow players , There are very few players that can match his longevity in the game or his record come to that !
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile to join

Subscribe to my Darts Review Channel on Youtube: Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile

My darts collection:
Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile

[IMG]Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile [/IMG] Register
Original replies to the above from old forum:

3xbullseyesme

I remember when watching John Lowe on tv yrs back and my late father sais such about he

tends not to blink while throwing and my Dad sais he had the best style of throwing a dart

which i agreed on ..Also as you say Andy ^^ he John Lowe was very consistant

Mr Consistancy as you say and also he is a Gentleman also i can believe

I remember John was doing an Exhibition here in Fife and while i went into the Clubs toilets

in 1979 im sure this was after playing so many games of 1001 fly start ..

this local guy with to much to drink was gibbering rubbish like saying John Lowe he shall be up against it today as there's many very gd players around here to which i interupted him by saying yer talking rubbish as John Lowe is if not then one of the best players in the World and no one here shall take him and only to my surprise i felt a tap on my left hand shoulder to which it was Mr John Lowe himself whom smiled to me as he put out a hand

As if to say thanks m8 ..Met John Lowe in Eastbourne while down for the Eastbourne Open also a few years back in 2006 in the Fishermans club which is where John and Cliff Lazarenko hang out ..Cliff wasnt there that weekend but John came over to the bar as me being the only one of 2 Scots in the Club and the other a non Darter whom stayed there ..

Anyhow as for 9 Darters John Lowes is my fav 9 Darter of all time to watch That treble 17 treble 18 dble 18 makes me smile
even today But i think John wasnt to happy when he spoke to me about all the gd Scots players from the past as he rolled out the names
to me like Harry Heenan from Glasgow was 1st name John Mentioned .. But not once he mentioned Jocky Wilsons name to me

So i waited a few secs and sais i remember john when Jocky Wilson beat you in final of the Embassy
he John then sais and Jocky Wilson ..i was away to say nice things to him about being most consistant player etc
plus the best style of throwing a dart but his wife with fairish coloured hair in a bib style was sitting at a table close bye
and i heard she was giving me the not nice look lol as i take it she heard me mentioning Jocky Wilson
she may have thought i wasnt saying nice things but wasnt intentional as was only facts ..Still if i seen him tomorrow for instance
id go over to chat in a nice manner as i have nothing but respect for the guy and for his ability on a dartboard also

Though i heard a story just on Friday night by a player in club i go to and he sais yrs back Mr Lowe was playing 1001
v locals when this guy walked on stage to play him and asked for a throw at board and John sais no ?
after John had been on board for a while playing not allowing others to get a throw at board after sitting waiting to play

if true or not i dont know but im tending to think not true ..

Anyhow Ye seems a good living guy John Lowe whom has looked after himself well
and also would win v majority of good players in the bars up and down the Country most probs yet id reckon ..One of the all time Greats in the game John Lowe ..

Getagrip

A great action!

Hard to believe he only took up darts by pure chance.

He was 21 years old I think and while a guy went off to the loo, the others asked Lowe to throw for him, his first throw was a 140 I think. The guy never came back for his darts, and a new legend was born!

Andy

Yeah thats about the size of it ! Great natural talent , If a certain Mr Bristow hadnt of popped up who knows how many titles he would have won !
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile to join

Subscribe to my Darts Review Channel on Youtube: Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile

My darts collection:
Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile

[IMG]Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile [/IMG] Register
Perhaps the most influential dartist ever?
Darts novice. Been playing about 5 months and loving it!

Twitter: @EastKentTom
When I started John Lowe was my first touch of darts. I tried to imitate his style but I was not enough as my friend who could impersonated his stoneface look. Like a man who has only throwing arm and nothing else moved.
Anxious to hear some comments and reviews about his new re-vamped Darts . He admitted that he needed a new dart
with more grip.

Match Darts=Cosmo John Part ® 20.4g 

Back ups= Hmmmmm??? ®

And..A few sets of spares .®   Rolleyes
Cheers,
 Ken 

Quote:Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile
Register
I wonder if that could partly be attributed to the bomb shaped darts that he used. Front loaded darts giving less accuracy but greater consistency maybe.
1 thing I always wondered why he played so poorly y in the league of legends??

Finished 2nd from bottom. Only 2 wins were over Bristow and George.

Having watched all the matches I found it odd that he threw unusually fast in this event and his darts at times were landing in odd angles for him.

He plays better than he did here now in 2018 aged 73 than he did then.
Darts: 21g Unicorn Taylor. Phase 1 cop
Stems: unicorn short
Flights: std 75mc
Board: Winmau Blade 5. 

Best 100 at 20 score: 115 (17/10/18)
Current ave: 95

Please follow my blog:

Blog: http://mydartinglife.blogspot.com

Not sure could have been any number of reasons.

My darts collection:

Loved old stoneface that stare was something else ... sure the bull had to blink b4 John.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  John Lowe interviews NiteEyez 0 513 03-09-2018, 02:33 PM
Last Post: NiteEyez