Dartboard height and distance for child and adult
Had exactly the same dilemma, and after trying various options, found that normal height, and six foot, for a 9 year old, was the best option.

Too far away (regulation distance), tough to get to the board, no accuracy really, although he did manage an 80 finish once Smile

Lowering the height didn't impact the throw or accuracy. As from six foot, with the board at 5 foot 8 to the bull, he had the same throw, similar accuracy.

Just need to monitor now, when to make him move back, at maybe 6 inch increments?!

And playing darts with your son is one of the best things in the world Smile Good for their maths too!!! Avoid electronic scoreboards at all costs!!!
I'd monitor a 7 year old that's playing with little eye poking missels.
We have a 3.5 and 4.5 year old. Think that I might get a non-electronic soft tip board for Xmas next year and hang it below my practice board.

Good thread!

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
Estimated adult height: g (inches)
Current height: h (inches)

Standard oche length: 93.25 inches 
Standard dart board height (to bull) : 68 inches

Ratio ® = h/g

Example:
Son is 5'2 (62 inches) Estimated adult height (take dads height as good marker) = 6 foot (72 inches)
Ratio = 62/72 = 0.86
Junior oche length = 93.25 * 0.86 = 80.2
Junior dartboard height = 68 * 0.86 =58.5

Review every 6 months ( or after growth spurt ) 

That's how I do it....
Cool, nice first post and welcome to the forum Smile
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

Subscribe to my Darts Review Channel on Youtube: CLICK HERE

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
If your son is 5'2, I'd stick him on full size oche. I'm a few inches taller than that, wayyyy under 6' and have no trouble on full height and length. A lot of the female players are around 5' and of course the junior players which play at regulation height.

Id only consider adjusting if a player couldn't reach D20 to remove darts lol
First 180: 19/3/2015
Best leg 501: 12 darts (11/4/16)
Back after a hiatus, getting over dartitis 
(07-17-2016, 07:46 PM)Alex Wrote: If your son is 5'2, I'd stick him on full size oche. I'm a few inches taller than that, wayyyy under 6' and have no trouble on full height and length. A lot of the female players are around 5' and of course the junior players which play at regulation height.

Id only consider adjusting if a player couldn't reach D20 to remove darts lol
Agree, I'm only 5'4 myself and have no trouble with the height at all.
My board is in my son's room too, I have it normal height, I just put an otaman by the board so he can get his darts easily. He throws from about 6 foot.
I came across this post when searching the web for suggestion about board distance and height for young players. I found this thread really useful.
I am an absolute beginner with darts, but me and my sons are building our little Dart-cave after becoming crazy about darts watching Premier League...
Started April 2019
Darts in use: Harrows Torpedo 80% Tungsten 22g K1
Boards: Winmau Diamond Plus
First 180: 18/08/2019
(05-23-2019, 04:01 PM)Igor Brusetti Wrote: I came across this post when searching the web for suggestion about board distance and height for young players. I found this thread really useful.
I am an absolute beginner with darts, but me and my sons are building our little Dart-cave after becoming crazy about darts watching Premier League...

You might find this thread interesting as well:

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=35375

Welcome to the forum BTW.

cheers

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Height practice Andreas 10 1,388 07-11-2018, 04:28 AM
Last Post: whippet0
  Dart board height and distance Catalaya 6 2,534 12-12-2016, 06:26 AM
Last Post: Catalaya