Winmau Dartboard Question here:
(01-27-2014, 11:31 PM)LeeUxy Wrote:
(01-26-2014, 11:11 AM)*Saber* Wrote: Thanks for the quick response, not gonna wear you out with silly questions but is Winmau or other manufacturer's experimenting with different materials other than tungsten for darts?
Thanks your your response in advance.

Hi Saber,

Thanks for the question.. Yes. We are constantly experimenting with different materials and concepts. Unfortunately I could not possibly disclose any of it though...sorry Sad Keep an eye out for something ground breaking next year though Wink

Cheers, Lee

Thank you Sir for the quick answer.
Cheers- Saber
(01-27-2014, 11:22 PM)LeeUxy Wrote: Hi Milky, to be fair I can see that the bullseye area on your pic has had many, many darts thrown at it. Unfortunately no matter how many times the board is turned the bull area still takes the same pasting lol! 3 months can be along time for a well used dartboard.. We have testers throwing darts all day long that could go through quite a few in that time, recording each and every throw and tallying every bounce out. Our results show that the boards leaving the factory consistently come out on top.

Regarding the bulging (I use the term hedgehog lol), basically no. This is not common on non worn areas if the board is used in reasonable conditions. Please understand that's difficult for me to comment having not inspected the board nor do I know the exact conditions it's being used in. What I can say though, is that temperature 'could' affect the adhesive bonding the board and that humidity could also be a factor as sisal is hydroscopic - meaning that it absorbs and dissipates moisture, hence alterning the relative density.

If you are not happy with the boards performance please email the address on the Winmau website so that we can look into it further.

Hope this helps,

Cheers, Lee

I think what Milkysunshine was getting at was the fact that there are big gouges and even holes in the wire of the bull segment, I was under the impression that the board is turned to stop compaction of the fibers and not to save putting holes in wire, I can understand this happening on a lower end market wire board, where the wiring is not hardened/tempered, but not on the greatest board the world has ever seen.

I always thought that the wire system was hardened to reduce gouging of the wire and still think this is the case, but I think that due to the bull segment wiring being a thicker wire, hence more surface area, it seems points are digging in, rather than slipping off, even though some of these points are probably to sharp, I would have thought a harder wire for the bull segment should fix this or at least alleviate it.

I was also under the impression that the photo was taken after someone had closed some holes with long nose pliers as well, this to me is another tell that the wire could be harder.
 MATCH DARTS: 26g Robbo's

(01-27-2014, 11:22 PM)LeeUxy Wrote: Hi Milky, to be fair I can see that the bullseye area on your pic has had many, many darts thrown at it. Unfortunately no matter how many times the board is turned the bull area still takes the same pasting lol! 3 months can be along time for a well used dartboard.. We have testers throwing darts all day long that could go through quite a few in that time, recording each and every throw and tallying every bounce out. Our results show that the boards leaving the factory consistently come out on top.

Regarding the bulging (I use the term hedgehog lol), basically no. This is not common on non worn areas if the board is used in reasonable conditions. Please understand that's difficult for me to comment having not inspected the board nor do I know the exact conditions it's being used in. What I can say though, is that temperature 'could' affect the adhesive bonding the board and that humidity could also be a factor as sisal is hydroscopic - meaning that it absorbs and dissipates moisture, hence alterning the relative density.

If you are not happy with the boards performance please email the address on the Winmau website so that we can look into it further.

Hope this helps,

Cheers, Lee

Thanks lee. I do believe the bulging is a climate issue within the bar. As I said... my home board is nearly flawless. I am stiill curious about the bull ring being a hollow piece of metal... is this still the case with the B4DC? Also... that board, to be fair and completely honest, had the bull ring already 'smushed' from shipping. It never had the blade edge it should. I think if it were a solid piece of metal vs a hollow formed piece it wouldn't have been as big of an issue.
(01-28-2014, 03:10 AM)DIRTY G Wrote:

Hope this helps,

Cheers, Lee

I think what Milkysunshine was getting at was the fact that there are big gouges and even holes in the wire of the bull segment, I was under the impression that the board is turned to stop compaction of the fibers and not to save putting holes in wire, I can understand this happening on a lower end market wire board, where the wiring is not hardened/tempered, but not on the greatest board the world has ever seen.

I always thought that the wire system was hardened to reduce gouging of the wire and still think this is the case, but I think that due to the bull segment wiring being a thicker wire, hence more surface area, it seems points are digging in, rather than slipping off, even though some of these points are probably to sharp, I would have thought a harder wire for the bull segment should fix this or at least alleviate it.

I was also under the impression that the photo was taken after someone had closed some holes with long nose pliers as well, this to me is another tell that the wire could be harder.

You're spot on G. If the outer bull ring were a single piece of hardened or rolled metal vs a piece of formed metal with a hollow structure I feel it would be much more rigid. ...and yes, I did use some snips to close up some of the blatant holes in the metal. Many of the people in our league throw darts that are WAY TOO SHARP... and it shows... but once again... a solid vs hollow piece of ring around the bull would fix that
I have read on the internet about the black ink bleeding into the white sections from darts going in and out of the Blade4 board. Could the staining in the white sections be just that? Also I tried to take a picture of it but the red of my bull seems to be puffing out I had noticed this a few months ago and it has not gotten worse but I am wondering if it's something I should be concerned about?

I have had the board for 6 months and maybe throw at it a hanful of hours a week average.

[Image: 20140128_083526_zpszh4dvify.jpg]

[Image: 20140128_083507_zpsyf5shzcb.jpg]
The staining in the white sections is ink that gets transferred there by the side of your hand. By the looks of your board, you probably rest the side of your hand on the board in order to create leverage to pull the dart out. I do the same thing... next time you throw... look at your hand and you will probably see black. The ink they use on the DC is different a d doesn't do this. Hopefully they start using the same ink with the blade 4.
I thought that might have been the problem Milky just kinds sucks considering how little I use the board.
I agree it is an eyesore.
has not happened on the new B4DC it is using new inks
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

Subscribe to my Darts Review Channel on Youtube: CLICK HERE

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
(01-28-2014, 06:59 PM)Milkysunshine Wrote: I agree it is an eyesore.

Just ordered an "original" Blade 4. Must practice my dart-plucking technique.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Winmau Blade 5 Bristle Dartboard ekim2003 2 656 12-27-2017, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Spencerdl