Which darts are the best to buy?
Still looking form my first nice set... ANy suggestions?
All the ones i have for sale Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
can't go wrong with any of the unicorn barneveld darts
[Image: oIDxeLS.png]
Definitely would recommend not buying an expensive set at the start! Go for a weight range of about 23g to 26g and work out whether you need lighter or heavier from there. Once you've decided your weight, you should have an idea of your grip as well, which in turn should aid you in choosing a barrel shape. However, be prepared for this to change as you become better.

As you get better and become accustomed to a type of dart then a more expensive dart is worth it as it does make a difference once you reach a decent level and you're more likely to stick with it for a while without feeling you need to change. In my opinion don't be fooled by the expensive darts as I really don't think there is much difference, if any, between a dart for £25-£40 and a dart over £60. Just the impression I get.
Highest checkout-161
Best leg-11 darts (180,180,100,41(1 Double Tops))

Current darts- Target Colin Lloyd Pure Darts 25g
Current Shafts-Target pro grip
Current Flights-Winmau St George Flag
(03-15-2015, 10:08 AM)CotswoldDave Wrote: Definitely would recommend not buying an expensive set at the start! Go for a weight range of about 23g to 26g and work out whether you need lighter or heavier from there. Once you've decided your weight, you should have an idea of your grip as well, which in turn should aid you in choosing a barrel shape. However, be prepared for this to change as you become better.

As you get better and become accustomed to a type of dart then a more expensive dart is worth it as it does make a difference once you reach a decent level and you're more likely to stick with it for a while without feeling you need to change. In my opinion don't be fooled by the expensive darts as I really don't think there is much difference, if any, between a dart for £25-£40 and a dart over £60. Just the impression I get.

So what is the difference between cheaper and more expensive darts? Workmanship, quality, aesthetics? Or is it just a higher profit margin. Coming from a bit of pool, my understanding is generally anything over $250 for a cue is just aesthetics, it won't really play better. Not sure if that applies to darts as well.
Most any dart is worth buying. Not only is stealing immoral, the pleasure that can be derived is still not worth the jail time. Just my two cents.
[Image: BJ8F7UG.png]

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...

(03-09-2015, 06:32 PM)Serial 7hriller Wrote: can't go wrong with any of the unicorn barneveld darts

I love Barney darts, they are my favourite but I wouldn't advise buying them if you have a small budget as they do wear quickly.
If on the other hand you are reckless and spend too much then they are the best you can get!!
Board - Gladiator 2 

Darts - Unicorn Aiden Kirk 22g

Best Leg 12 darts at last! 29/12/2017
Best Checkout 164

[Image: N9nezdF.png]
(03-16-2015, 07:02 PM)lifevicarious Wrote:
(03-15-2015, 10:08 AM)CotswoldDave Wrote: Definitely would recommend not buying an expensive set at the start! Go for a weight range of about 23g to 26g and work out whether you need lighter or heavier from there. Once you've decided your weight, you should have an idea of your grip as well, which in turn should aid you in choosing a barrel shape. However, be prepared for this to change as you become better.

So what is the difference between cheaper and more expensive darts? Workmanship, quality, aesthetics? Or is it just a higher profit margin. Coming from a bit of pool, my understanding is generally anything over $250 for a cue is just aesthetics, it won't really play better. Not sure if that applies to darts as well.

Generally you expect a more expensive dart to have better quality tungsten and machined barrels and to be well weight matched, in reality though that does not always mean that the most expensive dart is the best its just in some cases the price may reflect more on the process involved in designing the dart and its coatings etc but also it can and probably is inflated sometimes if its a particular players dart.

When it comes to throwing the darts though you cant guarantee that the more expensive dart is going to work better for you than a cheap bog standard one as we all throw different and I personally don't think it matters when it comes to throwing them how good the quality is but having said that some darts do have intricate grips and so will have a different feel but it still may not suit you in the end and you may find the cheap darts work best for you.

Sometimes I think the quality of the tungsten has a different feel on some higher priced darts, its a hard thing to describe but it still does not mean the dart will perform better, I think a lot of it is in the mind and what we perceive to be best.
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

Subscribe to my Darts Review Channel on Youtube: CLICK HERE

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
(03-17-2015, 03:17 PM)Getagrip Wrote: Generally you expect a more expensive dart to have better quality tungsten and machined barrels and to be well weight matched, in reality though that does not always mean that the most expensive dart is the best its just in some cases the price may reflect more on the process involved in designing the dart and its coatings etc but also it can and probably is inflated sometimes if its a particular players dart.

When it comes to throwing the darts though you cant guarantee that the more expensive dart is going to work better for you than a cheap bog standard one as we all throw different and I personally don't think it matters when it comes to throwing them how good the quality is but having said that some darts do have intricate grips and so will have a different feel but it still may not suit you in the end and you may find the cheap darts work best for you.

Sometimes I think the quality of the tungsten has a different feel on some higher priced darts, its a hard thing to describe but it still does not mean the dart will perform better, I think a lot of it is in the mind and what we perceive to be best.

Ive heard this and wanted to buy some cosmos or something once I knew exactly what style I wanted. Next I should say the smooth Hankeys always felt very high quality and had a nice little ping when they hit eachother. Now I have some nodor 2901 and they also make a nice ping sound when they hit, not just a smacking sound like I'm used to. But the darts I'm using most at the moment are aden kirks, and when they hit eachother its just the standard smack sound with some scraping of the grip.

So is it definitely a better tungsten, or maybe a different grip where the barrels hit eachother, or maybe a combo of the two? It seems like most Japanese darts are smooth or mainly smooth where they hit eachother, so that might be a reason why a lot of Japanese darts have that nice sound when hitting eachother that everybody mentions.
I find red dragon darts very up to date , great choice of darts and all affordable , brilliant service , great quality .