Form comes and goes
Hi there
I’ll be hitting 60s, 100s and then it suddenly seems to go flat and can’t group the darts at all. I’m trying to keep my eyes on the target, elbow fixed body straight but am obviously doing something  wrong. What to do? Not sure if this is mental or physical. [Image: WqXlBZA.jpg]
I’m guessing I’m dropping my elbow?
Another example[Image: w9vTL4E.jpg]
Welcome to the reality of darts in the real world. There's a reason those guys on stage make the money they do, and it's called consistency over time.

Could just be lack of concentration on your part, or maybe frustration when things go that way and trying too hard to make it right, leading to even more frustration.

Step away from the board when it gets to be happening consistently and come back a bit later to see if the break helped. Some days no matter how much you take breaks and try to get it together, it just won't happen and continuing to throw becomes counterproductive.
gumbo2176
Hello gumbo
Was defo feeling frustrated. Think I’ll take your advice and have a break, allow the mind to relax as it were. Cheers!
It's probably 80% mental and 20% physical. Of course, one's technique can vary under different moods and alertness states etc, so you change your mood rather than focus on something you're doing or not doing in your technique.

Frustration is a biggie, as gumbo rightly says, and seems to have a massive impact. Frustration is a bit like the coronavirus in that it can affect you without you even knowing it.
That sounds about right. It’s so frustrating to be throwing so badly that you might as well just throw randomly at the board!
Sometimes I'm throwing so well, I think  should go over to England and show Phil Taylor how to do it. Most times, I realize I should stay in my "Man Cave" and shut my big mouth. Smile
If you know what I'm doing, don't tell me .... I find bliss in my confusion.
(06-24-2020, 01:02 AM)Borisbbadd Wrote: Sometimes I'm throwing so well, I think  should go over to England and show Phil Taylor how to do it. Most times, I realize I should stay in my "Man Cave" and shut my big mouth. Smile
You too???
gumbo2176
Haha maybe one day you’ll beat Taylor! Good luck
That can and does happen to me. Pretty sure it's 99% mental as refocusing seems to cure it.
Some of those wobbly darts seem to have yawed (ie) wobbled in flight, or, tail flapping, the reason I say this is because two of the ones in the top picture are at 90 degrees to the board (and seemingly look close to where you where aiming) the one which appears to be at a funny angle is the one that seem to be off target the most (even though it is in the 20, it seems to have dropped in height a bit and swung in to the left, slightly).

In the second photo, the one in the treble 20 is a bit skew whiffed (swung to the left) and the one in the 14 seems to have dropped a bit short and run out of steam (probably, either, not thrown as hard, or, possibly a late, release issue, on that one particular dart) the one in the 18 looks ok (relatively).

I would n`t overly worry about it though, most of us have bad days and frustration, can have a huge, negative impact, on your game.

It might possibly, be worth messing with different shaft lengths (if you haven`t already tried, that).
Yes its me, I checked in the mirror. 

Current throwing weights of 18 to 24 grams.

Current darts set up :- 23 gram, darts clearance (no name scalloped darts) with a 50 mm barrel, 41 mm nylon shafts + standard flights.
Practice,practice

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
(06-23-2020, 03:38 PM)Ed180 Wrote: Hi there
I’ll be hitting 60s, 100s and then it suddenly seems to go flat and can’t group the darts at all. I’m trying to keep my eyes on the target, elbow fixed body straight but am obviously doing something  wrong. What to do? Not sure if this is mental or physical. [Image: https://i.imgur.com/WqXlBZA.jpg]
Looking at the spread of darts across the board, and the varying angles which they enter the board, it seems your throw is inconsistent. I would suggest you just need more practice to improve and also lower your expectations and not consider hitting high scores as the norm just now. It will come around if you consistently apply yourself and have the physical capability to deliver a consistent action
When you play well it's worth recording it. When I'm playing bad I watch a couple of minutes of footage where I'm playing out of my skin. The camera is pointed directly at me and is just under the 3.

This allows me to focus my attention onto what I was doing right that day, rather than what I'm doing wrong today. Sort of frees the mind, let's me see what a good tempo looks like and for what ever reason works for me.

Elbow fixed, body straight, eyes on the target....this is too much IMO when you're at the oche when you add working scores out etc. Pick one thing to focus on. More than one and you will play bad. I'm yet to meet anyone, even the world champs that can play well whilst trying to think about all the different motions in their technique.

Same goes for practice. Pick one thing to practice in that session technique-wise, and if you can, do it for a few weeks. If having a fixed elbow is important to you I would focus on that for several weeks. Improving scoring etc shouldn't be the aim when working on technique. The o py aim on these types of session is your technique you're working on. Scoring consistency will improve when your techboque becomes consitent. Before you know it everything comes together and you see massive improvements to the point you don't have to think about these things at the oche anymore. 

We all have consistency issues. Sometimes you just have to have a week off, especially if like me you start to get sloppy. Before that sloppy technique becomes muscle memory, take a long break so your body can forget that sloppy technique was ever a thing.