Four Finger Grip
Hi all,

I have some questions for the four finger grippers or for those who have tried (by four finger grip I am meaning the thumb, index, middle and ring fingers). 

Although I am still early in my dart career, I am finding that I am having some inconsistencies with my release and mainly this is boiling down to my ring finger rolling the dart at times. I have tried loosening my grip strength which is working to some degree, as a trade-off I am now at a higher weighted dart (now 23g, was 16g). I have also tried moving my grip forward and back with the ring finger varying from sitting next to or on the point, to now sitting at the front end of the barrel. 

As for trying new grips, I have tried variations of the two and three finger grips and I am no where near being comfortable with any variations. Using four fingers I am finding is by far the most comfortable for me.

Just wanting to see if any other four finger grippers, or people who have tried the four finger grip, have had this problem and how they may have overcome this issue.
Are there any darts or grip types out there that worked, didn't work?
Length/weight of darts that worked for you etc?
Techniques that you had to work on to keep things consistent?

Any advice is appreciated.
Here’s my grip:
[Image: fYvPH9C.jpg]

Having big hands means that I struggle with any short barrel. 
The main part of my grip comes from my thumb and forefinger. My Middle and ring fingers just add guidance on the barrel. 

Like you I have tried taking fingers off and moving them around but I now don’t think that’s wise. I read somewhere a while ago (I know that’s vague but I can’t remember where I read it and who said it although I think it was an old pro, maybe Mardle) the best way to throw a dart is the way you first pick it up. You should be able to grab a dart and aim it at a board without thinking, that’s your grip, don’t try and change anything because when you do that’s where the inconsistencies will come in.
[Image: 84EIGh2.jpg]
(06-14-2020, 08:28 AM)The Jester Wrote: Here’s my grip:
[Image: https://i.imgur.com/fYvPH9C.jpg]
My grip is very similar to this with the exception of the point of the dart resting on top of the nail on the 4th (ring) finger.
gumbo2176
(06-14-2020, 08:28 AM)The Jester Wrote: Here’s my grip:

The main part of my grip comes from my thumb and forefinger. My Middle and ring fingers just add guidance on the barrel. 

Like you I have tried taking fingers off and moving them around but I now don’t think that’s wise. I read somewhere a while ago (I know that’s vague but I can’t remember where I read it and who said it although I think it was an old pro, maybe Mardle) the best way to throw a dart is the way you first pick it up. You should be able to grab a dart and aim it at a board without thinking, that’s your grip, don’t try and change anything because when you do that’s where the inconsistencies will come in.

That's similar to mine except my third finger sits on the very end of the barrel. I've played around a wee bit and tried slightly different grips but nothing else feels as comfortable.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
My trainer and teammate once told me to reduce the fingers for grip, feeling that the more fingers holding the dart, the more room for error there is like they're getting in the way. I've maintained a three finger grip so far in my time, and yeah I use to do 4 finger before I realized comfort level is with 3. [Image: 13055fdc03c863335ce081f49cf98556.jpg]

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Current Dart in Use: Quantum Darts Paradox 17.5gm
[Image: qNLbSZP.jpg]

Here’s mine. Similar to some of you my middle and ring fingers are just used to steady the dart.
Darts:  22g Legend Darts Eric Bristow Black
Shafts: Medium Nylon
Flights: Standard Shape 

[Image: op13lZ6.png]
I use a 4 fingered grip - ring and little finger at(or near) the end of the barrel holding the point, middle finger in the centre of the barrel, and 1st finger at the rear. My thumb is at the rear on shorter barrels, but is progressively more forward the longer the barrel in order to achieve a balance. My darts range from 15g to 25g and 38mm barrel to 49mm.

I've not had the problems you describe, but I have a lightish grip.

When I first started a few years back i had a 2 finger grip for a month or 2, then went to a 3 fingered grip, then a 4(added the little finger to stabilise the point). All of them felt comfortable at the time so I guess it's what you've trained yourself into feeling comfortable with
(06-14-2020, 08:28 AM)The Jester Wrote: Here’s my grip:
[Image: https://i.imgur.com/fYvPH9C.jpg]

I think this is where most of my problem lies, I am trying to use all four fingers to throw the dart rather than just the thumb and forefinger. Something I need to work on.
I have seen pros use the four finger grip and you would think that they are using all four fingers. But there is a Youtube video of Adrian Lewis' throw, whereby he says that the middle and ring fingers are for guidance only.

Thanks for your reply.
[Image: XEL9ubC.jpg]
Steve Beaton's grip mystifies me. Its an amazingly smooth action but the fact so many fingers over the dart. I tried and I my darts dip way too low. I couldn't make it work so I am just amazed by Steve's ability.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Current Dart in Use: Quantum Darts Paradox 17.5gm
[Image: jVA0VWc.jpg]

This is my grip. The thumb and index are the grippers and the middle and ring are support fingers to help with getting the right trajectory. 

As I release the thumb and index squeeze together and end up being the last two fingers on the dart and the dart is released when the wrist snaps forward, without having to move the thumb or index. 

What I've found though is the dart rolling up the index isn't really due to grip. It happened to me and my grip has remained the same. It's more to do with the arm and wrist not moving along the line of aim, but instead slightly across it, very similar to how you would throw and American football .

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Middle finger above or below? thegr812k 12 797 01-31-2019, 07:07 PM
Last Post: DanC.Licks
  Two and Three Finger Grip Larryg 8 1,482 09-15-2018, 07:24 AM
Last Post: Bloodycut
Thumbs Down Finger position Mattb0612 8 955 09-20-2017, 05:13 PM
Last Post: wongerchi
  5 finger grip LeeICFC 8 809 04-10-2017, 09:00 PM
Last Post: *Saber*
  Which part of finger you should use to grip dart Troll 6 1,430 03-07-2017, 02:30 AM
Last Post: Dart dog