Flight protectors
Hello i know flight protectors devides opinions and quite alot dont like them. Ive never used them but thinking of trying some. 

So the question is, which ones do i get?
Any recommendations?

Cheers
Current set up
Winmau Navigator 3 23g dart barrels 
Harrows supergrip medium stems
Harrows standard no.6 Flights
I tried them and wasn't really keen so don't use them, but if you do try them don't get the plastic Unicorn ones - one hit and they will smash into pieces
(05-16-2020, 01:31 PM)mc1958 Wrote: I tried them and wasn't really keen so don't use them, but if you do try them don't get the plastic Unicorn ones - one hit and they will smash into pieces

What was it that you didn't like about them?

These are the type I usually get as they're generally the cheapest.

https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/product_in...s_id=13069
Jason S - Middle of USA - South Dakota
Darts: Over 46 sets - Currently Using Whichever One Feels Right
Board: Target Nexus / One80 Gladiator III
Highest Out: 170
Best Leg: 12 Darts (Many shots at a 10 darter - Arghhh)
2020 Maximums: Goal set at 200 - Goal of 200 reached on 3/29/20 - Should've set higher goal.  Blush
Favorite Quotes:
"It always seems impossible until it is done." - Nelson Mandela
"Life becomes easier when you learn to accept the apology you never got." - Robert Brault (Told to me by someone who never knew how much I needed to hear it.)
I've used them once but found them a hassle. Can't recall why.
They were ok but I just wasn't keen on them
I use designa ones from darts corner. Dirt cheap, I find they do prolong the life of the flight and don’t in my view effect the dart. They are so cheap it’s worth giving them a go and see what you think. You can even get them as a freebie from DC if you spend £10 or £20.
Darts: harrows black ice 24g or designa dark thunder 24g
Stems: harrows supergrip 
Flights: harrows marathon
Board: blade 5
Lighting: unicorn solar flare
Highest out:141
Best leg: 14
silver ones look better for longer - other tend to chip off the colour if a point zings it. To be fair never had a bad set of aluminium protectors.

however

those ninja star shuriken nylon jobs are... nasty ... when they break - and they may not last you splicing them first time out - you are left with two shards of sharp edged plastic shrapnel - evil if you stand on one with no shoes... or a piece flicks off into your shoes.
Ryk is currently using:-
 鈴木 未来  Jadeite 24g
::  L-Shaft Locked Slim 300 Emerald :: Metal Champagne Ring Aqua :: - L-Flight Dimple Solid Emerald  :: Winmau Blade 6 ::
From the pictures I've seen those Navigators you're gaming have a pretty wide lip around the point that is likely responsible for trashing your flights. Some Trident nose cones or repointing with some FreeFlo or Apex or Storm points might be a more aesthetic solution (and you wouldn't need to worry about losing flight protectors).
I tried them for a while and decided it wasn't worth the hassle. If one of them comes off and hits the floor, you better have eyes like an eagle to find it unless you're damn lucky. They can be a PITA to get on, but do work pretty well with new flights since they haven't been dinged up on the edges.

My Target Dayton Fire GT's came with a few sets of protectors but after a few rounds of tosses, I removed them and put them back in the box.
gumbo2176
(05-16-2020, 01:31 PM)mc1958 Wrote: don't get the plastic Unicorn ones - one hit and they will smash into pieces

Quoted to say I totally agree with this. I also had problems with them staying on.

I don't use flight protectors because I think they're a hassle, but if you do decide to try them get something other than the plastic Unicorn ones.
Steel Tip: Datadart Sawtooth 23g

Soft Tip: Unicorn Michael Barnard 18g
             Nodor ??? 16g

Stems and Flights: always trying out different combinations
I don’t use them but have a couple of sets of the Harrows plastic ones that came in freebie packs, should I ever want to. I’m sure I only tried them briefly and no doubt smashed one of them up, then decided not to bother. I do think the silver bullet ones shape look ok

https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/product_in...ts_id=1564

I use plastic tridents now, and Winmau Freeflo points with built in metal tridents on one set. I think tridents are a great idea. Flights last noticeably longer now. I thought that part of the job of a protector was also to set perfect 90 degree angles, but I didn’t feel I got them anyway when I tried the plastic ones
(05-16-2020, 02:57 PM)bogeyman Wrote: From the pictures I've seen those Navigators you're gaming have a pretty wide lip around the point that is likely responsible for trashing your flights. Some Trident nose cones or repointing with some FreeFlo or Apex or Storm points might be a more aesthetic solution (and you wouldn't need to worry about losing flight protectors).
Hi, thanks for your replies everyone. Ive ordered a few harrows flights  from doubletop. I thought id get some hattows flight protectors at same time for 90p ill give them a go.
Bogeyman, yes your right there is a flat bull nose to my darts thatvi dont particularly like so might be worth trying some nose cones you have sugested
Current set up
Winmau Navigator 3 23g dart barrels 
Harrows supergrip medium stems
Harrows standard no.6 Flights

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flight shapes and flight trajectories and land angle B2B180 6 449 01-19-2020, 10:26 PM
Last Post: JAMSGOLF
Wink Flight Protectors....Yes Or No? Gazzabnorthern 70 8,403 05-26-2019, 06:19 PM
Last Post: kundalini
  Flight protectors KCdartman 6 2,127 02-14-2016, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Dartbuggy