Why is D.I.Y. always against me!
As lockdown has been on the guy that was going to fix a gap in my fence has not been able to come and do it.  I will do it myself I thought.  I should have known after the experience of doing the front fence last year it would not go smoothly.

Its only about 8 ft wide and I got 2 posts, 3 rails and the boards to do it.  I thought this time I wont bother mixing concrete and just get 2 bags of quick setting post mix.

There was only one old post to take out as it was near the end of the fence but I was putting 2 in for strength.

Should be easy as it wont be like the front where all the old posts were stuck to big cobble stones underground.

I was wrong.  The post was wrapped in plastic at the bottom with nails all over it and a stupid amount of concrete.

After a lot of bashing and sweating and a hole getting bigger and bigger I nearly gave up.  I will just go to the side then. 

To the side was another old lump of concrete from probably the fence previous.

Then hit my chisel and the end breaks. Bloody hell!

Find another one.  Just about to strike it and neighbours dog barks, I miss and hit my hand lol  Luckily just a glancing blow but its still bruised.

Leave it for the day.

Back at it today with more determination.

Clear the old post out and half of the even older one.  Yes getting somewhere now!

Hole is big so use spit to go down further as my post is 8ft.

Getting easier now.

Crack!

Whats that?

Some old clay pipe.

Bugger, hope its not a mains of anything.

No water and no smell.  Looks very old like some kind of drainage pipe.

Cant hurt to clear it out so I do.

Getting fed up now so cut the post to the height of the fence, cant dig any deeper, cant reach!

Get bag of quick setting post mix. Fill third of hole with water it says.

3 full buckets later, looks like there is no water in the hole.

Bloody hell, where is it going?

Get the hose pipe out and stick that in.  Does not seem to be filling up.

That clay pipe must have been going somewhere then!

Guess I will just have to mix the post mix my own way.

Pour a bag in and add water (not the way it says in the instructions).  Does not fill much.

Pour the other bag in and add more water.

Starts to set.

Still have a big hole though.

Wonder what that pipe was.

Guess I will find out sooner or later lol!

Moral of the story Dont Bloody Do It Yourself! Tongue
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
Moral of the story Darren is a Dart Reviewer, you wont see him on any DIY channel any time soon lol
(05-09-2020, 04:56 PM)Crusher17 Wrote: Moral of the story Darren is a Dart Reviewer, you wont see him on any DIY channel any time soon lol

Thats a fact! Rolleyes Smile
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
Got to say I have enough trouble hanging a picture on the wall, so I wouldn't even have attempted it lol
As the saying goes: “Strengthen your strengths”
For us here there’s no value add in any of your homework Darren.

Don’t waste your time with DIY and focus on your darts review and the dog :-)
And I bet Rocky is sitting on the sofa having a chuckle as he stares out the window watching the comedy show you put on for him.

See, you did some good after all.....
gumbo2176
Hi Darren,having trouble trying to fit a fence post what would you advice thanks
JT,name and address withheld ?
DARTS-Unicorn Taylor Phase 5 / Target Gen1 26g
SHAFTS-Unicorn Gripper 4 Elements (Long)
FLIGHTS-Unicorn Chris Dobey Big Wing 100g Micron
BOARD-Winmau blade 5 dual core
BOARD-Winmau Diamond (for practice)
BOARD-unicorn eclipse HD trainer board (for a laugh)
SET UP-Wall mounted cabinet
HA'WAY THE TOON  Smile

[Image: ZL8JXbT.png]
Wink 
(05-09-2020, 07:11 PM)justin-tutboard Wrote: Hi Darren,having trouble trying to fit a fence post what would you advice thanks
JT,name and address withheld ?

Well, going by his original post, I'd say,,,,,,,,"CALL THE MAN"
gumbo2176
I was going to suggest you don't try to do a DIY haricut...but then...well, you know...   Blush Big Grin
Jason S - Middle of USA - South Dakota
Darts: Over 46 sets - Currently Using Whichever One Feels Right
Board: Target Nexus / One80 Gladiator III
Highest Out: 170
Best Leg: 12 Darts (Many shots at a 10 darter - Arghhh)
2020 Maximums: Goal set at 200 - Goal of 200 reached on 3/29/20 - Should've set higher goal.  Blush
Favorite Quotes:
"It always seems impossible until it is done." - Nelson Mandela
"Life becomes easier when you learn to accept the apology you never got." - Robert Brault (Told to me by someone who never knew how much I needed to hear it.)
(05-09-2020, 07:56 PM)JAMSGOLF Wrote: I was going to suggest you don't try to do a DIY haricut...but then...well, you know...   Blush Big Grin

Ain't nothing wrong with a DIY haircut.   I do them all the time and haven't been to a real barber in decades.    Of course now I usually just buzz cut it for ease of maintenance but I use to do the trim, cut the length and thin the hair out when I wore my hair longer.    

Then I went with a flattop and it was actually harder to do than a regular trim and cut.

Now I just put on the #2 guard and go to town and I'm done in about 5 minutes including cleanup.

Oh, and the old saying goes like this:

Question:   "What's the difference between a good haircut and a bad one?"

Answer: "About 2 weeks."
gumbo2176
(05-09-2020, 08:04 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 07:56 PM)JAMSGOLF Wrote: I was going to suggest you don't try to do a DIY haricut...but then...well, you know...   Blush Big Grin

Ain't nothing wrong with a DIY haircut.   I do them all the time and haven't been to a real barber in decades.    Of course now I usually just buzz cut it for ease of maintenance but I use to do the trim, cut the length and thin the hair out when I wore my hair longer.    

Then I went with a flattop and it was actually harder to do than a regular trim and cut.

Now I just put on the #2 guard and go to town and I'm done in about 5 minutes including cleanup.

Oh, and the old saying goes like this:

Question:   "What's the difference between a good haircut and a bad one?"

Answer: "About 2 weeks."

Agree with nothing wrong with doing it yourself...but take a look at Darren's hair!

I've been cutting my own hair for 25 years, every since I was in, and ever since I got out of the military. Usually it's a "high and tight"...but when I mess it up, which happens, I end up looking like Darren! Bald is beautiful becomes the saying for the next "two weeks"! LOL
Jason S - Middle of USA - South Dakota
Darts: Over 46 sets - Currently Using Whichever One Feels Right
Board: Target Nexus / One80 Gladiator III
Highest Out: 170
Best Leg: 12 Darts (Many shots at a 10 darter - Arghhh)
2020 Maximums: Goal set at 200 - Goal of 200 reached on 3/29/20 - Should've set higher goal.  Blush
Favorite Quotes:
"It always seems impossible until it is done." - Nelson Mandela
"Life becomes easier when you learn to accept the apology you never got." - Robert Brault (Told to me by someone who never knew how much I needed to hear it.)
(05-09-2020, 08:09 PM)JAMSGOLF Wrote: Agree with nothing wrong with doing it yourself...but take a look at Darren's hair!

I've been cutting my own hair for 25 years, every since I was in, and ever since I got out of the military. Usually it's a "high and tight"...but when I mess it up, which happens, I end up looking like Darren! Bald is beautiful becomes the saying for the next "two weeks"! LOL

Well, how shall I put this-------he's a bit on the follicly challenged side of the equation---------not that there's anything wrong with that!!!!

I'm getting there myself and if I don't want to appear balding I'd have to change my religion to Jewish and start wearing that yamulka  to keep from blinding people behind me.
gumbo2176
Hate to say it Darren, but it sounds like you are having one of my kind of D.I.Y. days. I can take any kind of 1/2 job, and make it last all day !!!
If you know what I'm doing, don't tell me .... I find bliss in my confusion.
(05-09-2020, 04:41 PM)Getagrip Wrote: As lockdown has been on the guy that was going to fix a gap in my fence has not been able to come and do it.  I will do it myself I thought.  I should have known after the experience of doing the front fence last year it would not go smoothly.

Its only about 8 ft wide and I got 2 posts, 3 rails and the boards to do it.  I thought this time I wont bother mixing concrete and just get 2 bags of quick setting post mix.

There was only one old post to take out as it was near the end of the fence but I was putting 2 in for strength.

Should be easy as it wont be like the front where all the old posts were stuck to big cobble stones underground.

I was wrong.  The post was wrapped in plastic at the bottom with nails all over it and a stupid amount of concrete.

After a lot of bashing and sweating and a hole getting bigger and bigger I nearly gave up.  I will just go to the side then. 

To the side was another old lump of concrete from probably the fence previous.

Then hit my chisel and the end breaks. Bloody hell!

Find another one.  Just about to strike it and neighbours dog barks, I miss and hit my hand lol  Luckily just a glancing blow but its still bruised.

Leave it for the day.

Back at it today with more determination.

Clear the old post out and half of the even older one.  Yes getting somewhere now!

Hole is big so use spit to go down further as my post is 8ft.

Getting easier now.

Crack!

Whats that?

Some old clay pipe.

Bugger, hope its not a mains of anything.

No water and no smell.  Looks very old like some kind of drainage pipe.

Cant hurt to clear it out so I do.

Getting fed up now so cut the post to the height of the fence, cant dig any deeper, cant reach!

Get bag of quick setting post mix. Fill third of hole with water it says.

3 full buckets later, looks like there is no water in the hole.

Bloody hell, where is it going?

Get the hose pipe out and stick that in.  Does not seem to be filling up.

That clay pipe must have been going somewhere then!

Guess I will just have to mix the post mix my own way.

Pour a bag in and add water (not the way it says in the instructions).  Does not fill much.

Pour the other bag in and add more water.

Starts to set.

Still have a big hole though.

Wonder what that pipe was.

Guess I will find out sooner or later lol!

Moral of the story Dont Bloody Do It Yourself! 

Never mind grip...you need to be philosophical about such things life is short  Wink

Regrets I’ve had a lot 
And may I say without redemption
I’ve f****d up every job I’ve tried... without exemption
I failed each chartered course and missed
Each step along the highway 
But more... much more than this
I DID IT MY WAY

Yes there were jobs I know you knew
Where I bit off more than I could chew
But through it all when things got tough
I blundered on and stuffed it up
The record shows I took the blows
AND DID IT MY WAY

I’ve loved ... and laughed and cried
I’ve had my fill, my share of losing 
And now as tears subside 
I found it all... so ...confusing 
I’ve lived a life that full
And may I say not in a shy way
Who cares what the instructions say
I DID IT MY WAY

Cheers  Big Grin
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Monster "Milkman" - 22.4Gm, Smooth Gold Points 36mm, Yellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

[Image: 0mbrxgh.png]

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

Sounds like a DIY nightmare!

Old clay pipes are usually sewer pipes. Buildings from 1950s and older used them...some still do if they never cracked (a.k.a. never needed replacing). Clay pipes are usually replaced with plastic pipes when needing repair. Buildings from 1970s and newer usually have plastic pipes, but sometimes clay is still used. Being that all the buckets of water kept disappearing you might need to contact the city to see if that line is still in use, especially since you might have plugged it up with cement mix.
Steel Tip: Datadart Sawtooth 23g

Soft Tip: Unicorn Michael Barnard 18g
             Nodor ??? 16g

Stems and Flights: always trying out different combinations