Eye sight or Release
I have had this question In varying forms and stages of my development.

I switched to straights barrels recently , I used to throw front loaded darts very well and no issues with aiming at targets and accuracy.

I decided to go back to my front loaded a few times over last few days ,and they are all going to the left of my targets.... 

All though I don’t think this has anything to do with my barrells , but my eyesight or throw.

It was pretty annoying....so I started aiming at the t1 and the wire between t20/t1 and my darts were flying into the 20 bed and t20 .....

This has happened on another occasion , where I would be practicing, and noticed I was missing where I was aiming, this time they were going to the right ...so I said hmm maybe I’ll try and trick my eyes.....so I’d look at the t5 and they would float into the t20. It worked , and kept doing it for a few 5 minutes or so successfully  but it just didn’t feel right and I had to stop.

now I don’t know how this all relates , if it’s  my eyesight or my release being off.

And I would even try with different darts and getting same results......

This usually only happens on certain Days , some days my aim and accuracy is fine, but these few occasions it was troubling that in order to hit my target I would have to LOOK/aim nextdoor to what i actually wanted to hit....weird.....

Should I get my eyes checked?

This has only really happened on 2 occasions....not saying I hit my targets with accuracy all the time. But these have been times I honestly couldn’t hit what I was looking at what I normally could unless I looked over a bit to the opposite way.

This is definitly NOT a habit I want to develop...I want to hit,what I look at.....I mean sure if I have To look at the T1 and I can hit max all day, that’s great, but I still don’t feel comfortable doing it.....

Thoughts?
Get your eyes tested and then you’ll know for sure. Don’t know the cost in Canada but here in the U.K. it’s not expensive.
Darts: harrows black ice 24g or designa dark thunder 24g
Stems: harrows supergrip 
Flights: harrows marathon
Board: blade 5
Lighting: unicorn solar flare
Highest out:141
Best leg: 14
It could also be due to changing darts (maybe) its possible you might be using a slightly different throw, for each set and that when you become very familiar with throwing one particular set, it takes a bit of time to adjust your throw for the other set.
Yes its me, I checked in the mirror. 

Current throwing weights of 18 to 24 grams.

Current darts set up :- 23 gram, darts clearance (no name scalloped darts) with a 50 mm barrel, 41 mm nylon shafts + standard flights.
I would say look more on your release, the position of you fingers on the barrel and the horizontal angle of your wrist.
These little things are very difficult to catch but more likely to be the cause.
Try throwing with one eye closed at a time. Throw around 20 darts with each eye shut. If 1 eye tends to be going on target when open, and the other tends to go left then it's a sighting issue. I have this very issue. When my right eye is shut, my accuracy is ridiculous...just no depth perception, and when my left eye is shut I throw way right into the 4s. I tend to drift into the 1s a lot with both eyes open, and it's because I'm letting my right eye take over too much. Im trying to get around this by blocking my right eye when I pull the dart back. Being cross dominant sucks, but I'm making progress with this new technique to my right eye and I had a 9 darters the other night so I'm seeing major improvements in consistency.

Your release can definitely cause this too. You tend to feel the difference between a good release and a bad one though.

Get someone to check your alignment. Cameras aren't the best for this. I find a person who knows what they're doing is much better. I get my mrs to put her life on the line and  crouch under the board with her dominant eye in line with the bull. She then observes my throw and tells me if I'm throwing along the line or across it. She does the same from the back. I had a big old alignment issue with my body when I got back into darts, all created by my sighting. I'm trying to learn this new alignment bit it's taking time for it to become normal. I stood way left on the oche so standing more central makes it look like I should be going for the T18, but I'm getting there.

Basically, find someone who loves you so much they are willing to put their face within 2 feet of flying projectiles for you! To practice pressure situations I'll face in game, I do this whilst going for D3....just kidding!
(05-06-2020, 08:52 AM)Pidge Wrote: Try throwing with one eye closed at a time. Throw around 20 darts with each eye shut. If 1 eye tends to be going on target when open, and the other tends to go left then it's a sighting issue. I have this very issue. When my right eye is shut, my accuracy is ridiculous...just no depth perception, and when my left eye is shut I throw way right into the 4s. I tend to drift into the 1s a lot with both eyes open, and it's because I'm letting my right eye take over too much. Im trying to get around this by blocking my right eye when I pull the dart back. Being cross dominant sucks, but I'm making progress with this new technique to my right eye and I had a 9 darters the other night so I'm seeing major improvements in consistency.

Your release can definitely cause this too. You tend to feel the difference between a good release and a bad one though.

Get someone to check your alignment. Cameras aren't the best for this. I find a person who knows what they're doing is much better. I get my mrs to put her life on the line and  crouch under the board with her dominant eye in line with the bull. She then observes my throw and tells me if I'm throwing along the line or across it. She does the same from the back. I had a big old alignment issue with my body when I got back into darts, all created by my sighting. I'm trying to learn this new alignment bit it's taking time for it to become normal. I stood way left on the oche so standing more central makes it look like I should be going for the T18, but I'm getting there.

Basically, find someone who loves you so much they are willing to put their face within 2 feet of flying projectiles for you! To practice pressure situations I'll face in game, I do this whilst going for D3....just kidding!

Thanks! I have noticed that I am much more accurate when I visually block a portion of my eyesights when pulling the dart back.

My release could have something to do with My shoulders, been hurting a bit last few days.  . .

optomotrist are not considered essential services here now during covid......crazy hey....

so I’ll have to wait on that.

im am pretty sure one of my eyes is significantly more dominant than the other.

i am aware of my dominant eye. And I can usually hit my target with non dominant closed.

ive always had good eyesight but it could be from,exhaustion maybe the days I am I’m off, or maybe lighting. I have light on board but dark behind me sometimes, and other board I have a dimmer switch and a light on the board

i wish it to be my release. But getting eyes checked wouldn’t hurt...

i just want the darts to land where i look and point! Lol don’t we all

Well I’ll keep this updated to see where it goes, for now it can surf the forum and ride the wave of uncertainty.

Food for thought 
if you had To settle on having to aim outside your targets to HIT your target consistently, would you rely on this or work towards resolution?
(05-06-2020, 08:52 AM)Pidge Wrote: Try throwing with one eye closed at a time. Throw around 20 darts with each eye shut. If 1 eye tends to be going on target when open, and the other tends to go left then it's a sighting issue. I have this very issue. When my right eye is shut, my accuracy is ridiculous...just no depth perception, and when my left eye is shut I throw way right into the 4s. I tend to drift into the 1s a lot with both eyes open, and it's because I'm letting my right eye take over too much. Im trying to get around this by blocking my right eye when I pull the dart back. Being cross dominant sucks, but I'm making progress with this new technique to my right eye and I had a 9 darters the other night so I'm seeing major improvements in consistency.

Lol Pidge,
i just had my wife do....she said I was straight and throwing like a machine
but I think I skipped the part about the tester knowing a lot about darts LOL.....
i don’t understand how she would crouch under bull. With her dominant eye under the bull , and still looking at me lol.....

anyway. Thanks

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  right handed and left eye dominant and winmau sight right 2 stormyinc 1 172 03-12-2020, 05:26 PM
Last Post: Danny Giles
  What do you use to aim or "sight" your dart? DeezBullsEyes 1 303 10-22-2019, 08:47 PM
Last Post: nixer55
  Aiming sight vs throwing sight GONKO 13 2,923 01-14-2016, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Getagrip