Fake 180 practice
Been practicing quite regularly during this lockdown here in Ireland. As could be expected noticing quite a nice improvement which is nice of course. Whilst I'm far from a pro I'm not a beginning player.

To change up my routine I dusted off the darts performance centre practice plan booklet I had bought from DC ages ago and had never got around to using.

I got to the 3rd section called Fake 180s the object of the practice is throw a 180 with however many darts it takes. Let's say on your 6th dart you get your 1st treble 20 you continue throwing for your 2nd and third with the remaining 2 darts leaving the successful dart in the treble bed.

Whilst I can see the benefits of this I felt during this drill that when you had 2 successful darts left in the board going back and fourth with just one dart to throw didnt seem like best practice to me.

Anybody else feel this way about the drill for what it's worth I regularly hit 180s but going back and fourth with 1 dart in hand seemed to make me worse and got tedious very quickly.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
Not seen this practice plan booklet, but I'm not sure I understand this one - do they give a reason in the booklet why they think it may help?

I'm willing to be educated, but personally I can't actually think of any benefits in it other than losing a few extra calories walking to and from the board if you are trying to get the third dart in the treble all the time.
(05-05-2020, 08:33 PM)mc1958 Wrote: Not seen this practice plan booklet, but I'm not sure I understand this one - do they give a reason in the booklet why they think it may help?

I'm willing to be educated, but personally I can't actually think of any benefits in it other than losing a few extra calories walking to and from the board if you are trying to get the third dart in the treble all the time.

i might give it a go afterall i've got 6 weeks of stuffing my face to get rid offood
DARTS-Unicorn Taylor Phase 5 / Target Gen1 26g
SHAFTS-Unicorn Gripper 4 Elements (Long)
FLIGHTS-Unicorn Chris Dobey Big Wing 100g Micron
BOARD-Winmau blade 5 dual core
BOARD-Winmau Diamond (for practice)
BOARD-unicorn eclipse HD trainer board (for a laugh)
SET UP-Wall mounted cabinet
HA'WAY THE TOON  Smile

[Image: ZL8JXbT.png]
Funny. I blogged about that practice routine back in 2008: https://www.zeeple.com/2008/02/fwd-pract...m-axe.html and I thought (perhaps naively) that I'd thought up a brand new idea Tongue

I'd love to know when the DPC booklet you reference was published.

To answer your question, though, I believe it is a useful exercise. In theory, do it enough times and it will desensitize you to the situation where you have two darts in the treble and need to get a third one in there without choking on the pressure.
No they explain how to play the game but nothing as to why this would benefit you. There is 8 segments of this drill to do.
I got to the 5th attempt and just got fed up with it.
I've heard of throwing with 6 darts (2 sets) in practice but this drill got boring and tiring very quickly.

(05-05-2020, 08:42 PM)Zero Wrote: Funny.  I blogged about that practice routine back in 2008: https://www.zeeple.com/2008/02/fwd-pract...m-axe.html and I thought (perhaps naively) that I'd thought up a brand new idea Tongue

To answer your question, though, I believe it is a useful exercise.  In theory, do it enough times and it will desensitize you to the situation where you have two darts in the treble and need to get a third one in there without choking on the pressure.

I suppose it could be possible it desensitizes you, but not sure I'll try it.

As for your question - the Darts Performance Centre was formed in October 2010, and looking at their blog it looks like they published their practice plan around October 2014.  So seems like you may have come up with it first.
(05-05-2020, 08:52 PM)mc1958 Wrote:
(05-05-2020, 08:42 PM)Zero Wrote: Funny.  I blogged about that practice routine back in 2008: https://www.zeeple.com/2008/02/fwd-pract...m-axe.html and I thought (perhaps naively) that I'd thought up a brand new idea Tongue

To answer your question, though, I believe it is a useful exercise.  In theory, do it enough times and it will desensitize you to the situation where you have two darts in the treble and need to get a third one in there without choking on the pressure.

I suppose it could be possible it desensitizes you, but not sure I'll try it.

As for your question - the Darts Performance Centre was formed in October 2010, and looking at their blog it looks like they published their practice plan around October 2014.  So seems like you may have come up with it first.

Hm.  "Darts for fun" has a long, long history and while I may have thought of it before DPC, it is unlikely the idea had not been thunk up before by one of the millions of dart players that came before me.  I am sure someone thought: "Blimey! I'm just gonna keep throwing the misses until they're all in there!!".  Maybe even the late great Jim Pike himself!

I do stand by it being a useful routine tho, even though it is admittedly quite tedious.
(05-05-2020, 08:42 PM)Zero Wrote: Funny. I blogged about that practice routine back in 2008: https://www.zeeple.com/2008/02/fwd-pract...m-axe.html and I thought (perhaps naively) that I'd thought up a brand new idea

To answer your question, though, I believe it is a useful exercise. In theory, do it enough times and it will desensitize you to the situation where you have two darts in the treble and need to get a third one in there without choking on the pressure.
Looks like the booklet was published in 2014.
Whilst I can understand your point about desensitizing that 3rd dart 8 segments of fake180s could take some beginning players 100s of darts dare I say thousands of darts to complete.
For what it's worth I done my 4 goes of this drill in 12, 10, 16 and 24 darts but gave up on the 5th go after having 2 darts in the treble with my 1st 2 darts and still hadn't got the 3rd dart in after 40 darts. I think I was too dizzy to complete it by this stage lol. I had already hit a few 180s already today just warming up but sorry to say this drill didn't seem fun or that helpful.

I used to do something similar back in the day. I'd stick 2 fat barrelled brass darts in the treble and using my 3 darts throw at the treble 20, 19 or bull. I used to do it to practice how to best get the third dart in certain grouping situations. 

Basically, how the 2 darts sit in the treble dictates how I throw the third dart. Bully it it, float it in, come in from a severe angle etc. When I used to practice this I got way less 140s and always felt the third was a gimme. 

But the 1 dart at it must be boring...
I seem yo remember seeing this a fair few years back myself and vaguely remember it saying it had something to do with learning to throw at the two darts that are in and just at the treble bed,maybe wrong but jusyt in the back of my mind
So I tried this and you guys should know that I have never hit in my 1 year darts life a 180.

But here is my first Fake 180!
It took 6 rounds and my first in the bed was the middle one covering a big area...well I dunno how good is this practice routine, but gave me a bit of joy, at least I can do a fake 180...if the real one is impossible for me.

[Image: 29087f00e8d4ef5f7639c91670989b80.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Playing since April 2019
Harrows Wolfram 97% tungsten, 21g - Harrows Keramic tweenie - standard Target flights
Highets checkout: 112
Best 501: 24 darts
180s: 0
I saw this and thought of Zeeple's Foam Axe (Faux Max) and see he chimed in. Regarding throwing with 6 darts, I heard that Bobby George did that. Being that he wanted to practice throwing, not walking.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- If it don't fit, force it.  If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.
- If it ain't broke, you might still be able to fix it.

"Maintain a solid 60.  What you do with your other two darts is up to you" -Unknown

My match darts:  21gm Harrows Wolfram Infinity, short nylon/Target Carbon Ti Pro stems, standard flights.
Lots of fake 180's IMO lol